1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Aug 19, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with everything that has been said about false teachings in the church library, whether it be from a nut-case TV preacher or some long established false doctrine. This thought occurred to me.

Who decides where false doctrine stops and Biblical doctrine starts? For example, in the last several days I have seen the most vicious threads on Calvinism and Arminianism. The principle is the same regardless of which side you take (if any). If you were a pastor or deacon who strongly believed in Calvinism, would you ban books from the library that argue for the free will of man? Or, would you ban books from the church library if your were a strong believer in free will that advance the principles of Calvinism?

How about this. If you are one of the KJOV types, would you ban other versions from the church library? We could expand this to end times theology, creation, when the church began, landmarkism, etc, etc, etc.

Where should the line be drawn? I know exactly where I would draw it, but what about you? All I have seen here is banning the most extreme of false doctrine, which is very easy to do.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My thought exactly. I think the best resolution is to have two "religion" sections. One would be an "orthodox" contain any material which is accepted at a mainline level (even if individual books disagree with each other), and the second is an "unorthodox" section that contains material that does not fit into the "orthodox" section.

Also, the matieral in these subjects should be by topic, not by author. That's because an author might have one books that's consistent with orthodoxy, and then come out with another book that doesn't.

As far as what constitutes the line where false doctrine stops and Biblical doctrine starts, the question should be what constitutes a biblical essential. If it's a book is inconsistent with a biblical essential (for example, a book on Judaism, Islam, or New Ageism, it goes in the unorthodox section. If it's not, even if it's a hotly debated topic (for example, Calvinism/Arminianism, Young Earth/Old Earth, Pre Mill/Post Mill/A Mill, etc), it should go into the orthodoxy section.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You asked excellent questions. In my opinion, issues that aren't essential doctrines should be allowed for discussion. I think it should ultimately be up to the pastor and if any book is against the Baptist doctrine, then it needs to go, considering we are Baptists :).
    One of the doctrines that is not bound in stone (IMO) is eschatology. Our pastor is dispensational, but does not condemn anyone for believing otherwise. He is KJVO, but does not condemn anyone for using another version. He will gladly tell you why he believes the way that he does.

But certain doctrines are not up for discussion. For instance, the Word/Faith heretics believe that Jesus died spiritually on the cross, went to hell and fought the Devil, won the battle and was then the first person to be born again. This is just one of the heretical beliefs of the people who wrote the books I found in our library.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

IMO, There are definitely some shades of 'gray' here, as well as some that are 'black and white' regarding books.

I have yet to see one where I agreed with 'every jot and tittle' of the author.

Some are simply much more extreme than others, in certain areas, but where is the line to be drawn in the sand?

What about 'C.' vs. 'A' or eschatology? How about 'one-version-ism' or Lordship Salvation vs. a f'ree grace' POV?

Again, where do you draw the line, as some others have also asked?

If I were the one who only made choices where I could fully agree with every word that one has written, this library would be very small indeed. Even such books as Nave's Topical Bible, Strong's Concordance, or the varied great commentary series such as Clarke or JFB would necessarily have to be excluded, along with virtually every book of sermons, including those by some of the 'greats.'

Ed

5. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

...and that's were "discernment" comes in.

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. It's rather a question of, "What does this church consider as profitable?"

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's not a matter of agreeing with every word or every view. Departing rom the essentials is pretty obvious; the church for 2,000 years has agreed on certain essentials of the faith such as the Trinity, the virgin birth, the bodily incarnation and resurrection of Christ, the atonement on the cross, the bodily ascension of Jesus, and that Jesus will come again.

Books that depart from these are heretical and do not belong in a church library. If people want to study the cults and false teachings firsthand, they can easily find such books in the secular libraries, bookstores, Amazon, etc.

I think it would also be helpful if the church library had books that deal with the cults from a Christian view, such as books by Ron Rhodes and others.

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

If your church library is like most church libraries then the biggest concern you have is not heresy in print but mice eating them before Church Members read them.

I did an impromptu survey in my church and found that less than 10% of the entire congregation ever reads a book.

When you look then at how many church members ever read a book out of the church library it falls to an even lower percentage.

Finally, people that read books tend to have more discernment than people that don't.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, evidently people in my church do read the books. Last week I found a Joyce Meyer book on the shelf. Yesterday it was gone. :)

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree with your post.

The idea about books on cults is a great one. I have one I could donate, but I need it! :tongue3:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I see a church library as being offered so that believers can have good books at their fingertips without having to go into serious debt. I would also consider any book in the church library to be "good" books that I can trust to not be heretical. I'd have them removed.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

if you can't tell hinn is a false teacher you've got other problems.

12. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, there you go - the mice got another one! :laugh:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The pastor does. He's the shepherd. He makes sure that he's not leading his flock into poisonous weeds but into healthy pasture. People can still have access to these books through the internet or other bookstores - but it's certainly right to censor what the church library will provide for the flock. I mean the pastor won't let any of these teachers in the pulpit - why would he allow them a pulpit in the library?