1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ktn4eg, May 24, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Where do you come up with ideas like this?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Fred - in your own words (in less than 50) tell us what YOU would do if your daughter was to marry a Non-KJR (king james required)

Folks it boils down to this. Those of us who are not KJO - does not see a problem.
    For those who are KJO - well they consider it basic non-negotiable Baptist doctrine....

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    KTN -as not to hijack your thread, with your permission I have started a new thread - from the opposite point....

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Salty, I did see your new thread. I guess turnaround is fair play. I'm looking forward to reading the responses there too.

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

The question is hypothetical since I have no daughter.

But if I did, and she came to me one day telling me that she wanted to marry a man who was anti-KJV, I would seriously try to find out what attracts her to him? What exactly he believes concerning the Gospel, i.e., who Jesus is, His mission, etc.. If his beliefs concerning Salvation and the Savior were not lining up with what I had brought her up to believe, I would seriously try to talk her out of such a relationship.

To be honest, I believe that my reaction would be the same as those who are anti-KJV if their daughter were to tell them she was interested in a man who held to the KJV as the inerrant Word of God.

#25 Steadfast Fred, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is the standard I would use. KJO as the standard of a marriage. KJO would overcome them hating each other, arguing daily, fighting, not going to church, cheating and any other problem that might crop up. Three cheers for the KJVO, the cure all.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have never met an "anti-KJV" person, although I suppose they exist. I have, however, met many that are against the KJVO position- including myself and many of the others on this board. Please do not call us "anti-KJV" as that is a misstatement (at best) of our position.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mex - I am with you - I am NOT anti-KJV
    It is interesting that Fred thught it necessary to use that incorrect term.

9. Steadfast Fred

The fact remains, there are those in this world who are anti-KJV.

and since one of the definitions for 'anti' is 'in the place of', the phrase 'non-KJV' can also mean 'anti-KJV'

#29 Steadfast Fred, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

In THIS context (on the BB), you are flat-out wrong. You may be "anti-NIV" or "anti-ESV" but I (and others on here who do not hold to the KJVO position) am nowhere near "anti-KJV." Just because you see and conduct yourself that way does not mean that we do likewise.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Actually it does not surprise me at all. I have been called a "heretic", "Bible denier", and so on because I refuse to support the folly of KJVO.

12. Steadfast Fred

Mexdeaf, I never said you were anti-KJV. The OP had a hypothetical question that I answered. You don't like my answer? Your prerogative.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First - anti means against, or opposed to.
    Please provide a link to a dictionary that supports your "in place of" theory

Second, I would love to see a list of people who are truly anti-KJV.

I contend those more accurately prefer MV

Fred, you may have answered this before, but if you have, just entertain us. If you were a Pilgrim in the early 1600's, would you have went along with that group and refused to use the that new King James Version?

14. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Not trying to help his cause here but http://www.definitions.net/definition/Anti

1. Anti
    a prefix meaning against, opposite or opposed to, contrary, or in place of; -- used in composition in many English words. It is often shortened to ant-; as, antacid, antarctic

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting - Antarctic - is not "in place of" rather it is the opposite of the Arctic.!

But I think Fred actually knows we are not AGAINST (or opposed) the KJV....

16. Steadfast Fred

Webster's 1828 Dictionary: AN'TI, n. Gr. See Ante. A preposition signifying against, opposite, contrary, or in place of; used in many English words.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, now you answered the question that was easy for you - now how about answering the harder question?

18. Steadfast Fred

The question I would ask is why did many "accept" the KJV when it was written?

I believe it was godly men that accepted the new KJV as being the Word of God. I would like to think I would be among those godly men.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Uh, because that's basically all they had? It was commanded by King James to be placed in ALL churches and to be read in ALL churches instead of having 2 bibles (one for the Puritans and one for the Anglicans).

20. Steadfast Fred

Many rejected the KJB when it was first printed.