1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's right with BJU?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Squire Robertsson, Mar 16, 2006.

1. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy New Member

Paul33: What years were you at BJU. You seem vary familiar. I was there 78-82.

2. CompassionateConservative

OP, you asked "What is right with BJU?"

I attended BJU during the Fall 2000 semester. Among the University's strengths are excellent academic standards and excellence in Fine Arts. When I left BJU, I missed those two things most.

[​IMG]

3. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

kristensdaddy

My sister was there from 78-82 also. Still there working at the Press. Married and has one at the University and one at the Academy.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Fall of 81 to January 83. Then they forced me out!

5. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I always have appreciated BJ's class. Everything is done with excellence at that place. I grew up just up the mountain in Asheville, NC. My first experience with anything BJ was a show that used to be on air from there. It featured the BJ singers or something like that.
    At any rate most folk in ministry from there are good, solid folk who represent fundamentalism with class. Something that is lacking in other camps of fundamentalism.
    I think as far as lending credibility to fundamentalism they do a great job. The world would like folk to believe that we are all a bunch of hayseeds who don't know a thing.
    I attended Piedmont Bible now Baptist College in Winston-Salem,NC. It is a fine Bible college. Small but sound academically.
    I had a professor who used to say :
    "There is a big difference between a Bob Jones
    boy and Piedmont man." Ha! Ha!
    Use that one on the college of your choice. I won't charge you.

Paul33,
    20yrs or so is a long time to carry bad feelings around? Life is to short to live it like that.

BTW, It has been said on occasion:

"American by birth, southern by the grace of God."
    Glad I'm one of the elect!

What do yall have in Green Bay besides cheese and the Packers? Both of em stink. Hee! hee!

Paul you know how to do the south a favor?
    Put a yankee on a bus. Hee! haw!

PS. Shannonl is married to beutiful northern lady.
    He has several in-laws from the North. Above post was in jest. I could never have married one of them gals from the hills where I'm from. One reason is I like a gal who has all her teeth when she smiles. Not only that if a gal down that way has all her teeth sometimes she has got snuff stuck in between um.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I don't have bad feelings for BJU. I'm not holding a grudge. But I'll call a spade a spade when I see one.

It is good to marry a girl who has all of her teeth!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you see the cheese head when Bush spoke?

8. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy New Member

Paul33: You're not the one I know. The one I was roomies with was shipped in 1980.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

BJU has a quality that usually polarizes folks into one of two groups--those who can say no good or those who can say no bad about BJU. Fortunately, I fall into neither camp--I point out my disagreements and I give credit when it is due.

BJU is a very fine school but it is not for everyone. People who don't substantially agree with the university and its regulations ought not go there. Some, who were forced by their parents, bear great bitterness or resentment to this day. However, this is not BJU's fault.

I sincerely appreciate the fine education and good treatment that my wife (attended only a short time), my son, and I received at the university. Thank you, BJU. A BJU education is so much more than academics. It is education of the whole man.

The atmosphere and environment is wonderful. The people, in general, are kind and gracious. Furthermore, they are serious about serving God and putting their Christianity into shoe leather. I deeply respect authentic Christianity and sincerity even when I disagree over details.

In closing, one cannot judge BJU on the basis of one or two people and the scuttlebutt about the school. One has to know the people. Overall, it's a very good school but it is not for everyone any more than Southern, Southeastern, Maranatha, PCC, etc. are for everyone.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, I'm surprised that some of them didn't fly you out the dorm room window in your underwear. :D BTW, we still fly the flag in SC with pride and honor regardless of what PC and ignorant folks think. The next time that you're passing through Society Hill stop by and ask David (Beasley) about the flag. He lives in the white house on the left with the white fence around it headed south on Hwy 52. Since we’re in a braggadocio venue, I had a strategical part in David’s political demise. We don’t cotton to scalawags.

I assume you believe the Confederate Battle Flag is a racist symbol. It is not for those fly it with a sense of history and understanding any more than the American flag. Remember that not one slave ever was brought from Africa on a ship flying the Confederate Battle Flag. The Battle Flag is used as a whipping boy for the real racists (i.e. those who make a vocation of stirring up animosity between the races to advance their own agenda) to bludgeon conservative, freedom-loving Southerners who despise Yankee materialism, arrogance and interference in our affairs. (It’s really hard to love a know-it-all busybody.)

Paul, I like BJIII and he has been ever gracious and kind to me but if he really did concede to your childish fit, then he is weaker and less a man of character than I thought. However, I strongly question whether he really caved in to your antics. I think other more weighty matters were concurrent with your showy and ill-mannered behavior. Although I was not in the state at the time, I know that David and Bob were hobnobbing together and currents in conservative SC political circles, especially those with higher ambitions, were ebbing away from a flag hard-line. So, don’t over estimate your influence.

Furthermore, BJU takes a pretty hardball approach toward grumblers, gripers, complainers, and malcontents by shipping them home. BJU stiffens its stance rather than bending to their whims. I fear that I disagree with your perception of the dynamics of the situation. No, I don’t see your self-described role in a mythical heroic stand that forced BJU to change its policy. Rather, I think they were more concerned about concurrent outside political issues but I am willing to ask Dr. Bob for the full scoop if you like.

Now, you and I both are way off topic. Even your supposedly positive statement of what’s right with BJU was a backhanded slap at them. [Personal attack removed.] Forgiveness and graciousness are Biblical concepts, you know. Let’s drop it here and allow the readers the courtesy of reading good positive comments [snipped].

[ March 30, 2006, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Paid,

[Edited to remove personal attack.]

My thoughts concerning the confederate flag had nothing to do with racism. The point I was making was that we live in the USA and therefore, if any flag is to be flown from the dorm windows, it should be an American flag.

In any event, taking my cue from BJII's speech in chapel two days earlier, concerning the smiting of Al Haig hip and thigh, heart and lungs, that he might be utterly consumed, I good naturedly prayed that the flag would come down from the window real soon!

Now you never did see such a childish response from my floor leaders! Why before the Amen had stopped echoing off the walls, they pulled me aside and wanted an apology. I was then brought before the dorm supervisor. I explained my point of view, suggested that some of them needed to get a sense of humor, suggested that my prayer was mild in comparsion to BJII's in chapel, and went to bed!

Like I said, the ruling came down two days later from BJIII. No more flags from the windows. I like BJIII, too. Ate pizza with him once.

So, what's right with BJU? [snipped for personal attack and failure to answer the question in the manner requested in the OP].

[This is your one and only warning: Do not violate BB posting rule 4 by making personal attacks. Debate the issue and do not attack the person.]

[ March 30, 2006, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Paid,

Part II.

The flag issue happened in 1982, long before it became an issue a few years back.

Secondly, the venom you throw at people is amazing. Your request to then move on is laughable. You really did pick up all the "right" things at BJU, didn't you?

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

To whom it may concern or to whomever may care, I was wrong in my takeoff analysis of the BJU flag flap due to putting it in a different time period (i.e. during the Beasley governorship in SC a decade later—Dr. Bob, III did publicly line up with Beasley). Having heard enough foolish ranting against a dearly held symbol, the Confederate Battle Flag, I have no regrets about my defense of it against perceived specious charges of racism. Furthermore, my other points have probably been substantiated in most readers’ minds, without my further input, by subsequent posts of an unnamed third party.

To the readers, I apologize for using up bandwidth and your space by an off topic post. However, I did want to be a man and face up to my error—I despise whiners and shirkers. Also, I trust most readers to have the good sense to discern the difference between lampoon, parody, spoof and caricature versus spite and venom.

I’m outa here……………………………………..
    :D

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a man, paidagogos.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Paid can accuse me of having stored up venom, but I can't call him a child?

When my statement gets deleted, it looks like I said something very nasty. The fact is, Paid accuses others of having venom [personal attack removed].

It is interesting that my remark is "edited," but Paid can do his worst and walk away unscathed.

[ March 30, 2006, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

16. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Bible-boy,

You're giving me a warning? Please. Take a look at Paid's slanderous post and then ask yourself why you didn't admonish him.

I'm not the one who took this thread in a different direction.

It seems that there is a double standard when it comes to Paid's bitter, emotional remarks and my humorous story about the confederate flag!

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

And I still think it was right of BJU to remove the confederate flag from their dorm windows.

What's right with BJU? Their stand on the flag issue! [​IMG]

18. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

What's right with BJU?

They know enough to know that some symbols have become idols and they refuse to allow idolatry on their campus! [​IMG]

19. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Paul33,

Even if Paid's flag comments were out of date so to speak, he still took you to the woodshed.

You were expecting to get a little sympathy towards your point of view when concerning BJ when you brought up the flag thing but it looks like it backfired on you.

Paid hit on a legit. point. It is one that can be said of any institution be it the military a college ,what have you and that is this.

Unless, your parents made you go to BJ then the only thing you should have been interested in is getting a education, submitting to those in authority over you and getting your degree then getting on with your life.

God doesn't call kids to Bible school so they can rewrite the rulebooks,curriculum etc... Supposedly He calls them to that school so they can be taught not to be a teacher if it was God that led you there then it was God who had something for you to learn there in a positive way. I hate it when fellows rip their old school. I suppose God led you wrong when he led you there? Or did He not lead you there. If it was God that led you there then you should be able to walk away from the experience with something to be thankful for?

Just like the in the military when it is time to go to war you don't get to decide if you like the particular battle or where it is taking place etc... You signed on the dotted line to get paid, get trained etc... in turn you defend your country.

BTW, southerners are for the most part very hospitable folk. But allow me to give you some useful information if your looking to move down that way. (Which I can't wait to get back down there myelf). When folk come down to our beloved south they don't need to think that they need to tell us how to do everything. We know how to Git r done. I live in Ohio now. I'm not running around askin folk: Hey what in the world is a buckeye? That is kind of a corny slogan? That woudl be inconsiderate. It would make folk think around here think that us southerners are jerks.

[Snipped]

BTW, dude, BJU is still humming along and it probably will be when you and I are gone as long as they stay true to the Book. So why get so flustered son?

Note to Paid,
    I could see the passion brother. Be true to your school. That is what I say.

[ March 30, 2006, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And on that note, I am closing this thread. I thought I was clear in my original post. Perhaps, I was not. So, I will restate with different wording:
    Yes, it's an invitation for a series of nicey nice posts. And the sweetness level of the posts might have churned some folks' stomachs. But BJU takes some pretty serious hits on this board. This thread was to give the discussion some semblance of balance.