1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the faith in "faith only"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bmerr, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Absolutely not. Baptism has nothing to do with justification. It is part of salvation via sanctification. Justification + sanctification = salvation. However, justification is primal and enables sanctification. Sanctification without justificaiton is simply good works for the person going to hell.

The CoC is seen as a works religion because you place sanctification ahead of justification. For you, salvation is a conditional process. Initial justification is by faith but needs to be supplemented by obedience and faithfulness. ONly at an ill-defined level of perfection can final justification be awarded. You have no security because you are never sure if you are good enough.

This is terribly wrong. Justification is primal - not sanctification. Justification determines destiny - not rewards. Sanctification determines rewards - not destiny.

The unseen Spirit baptism is part of justification and is eternal (2 Cor 4:18).

The visible water baptism is temporal and part of sanctification.

The difference is critical. What can I do to help you see this?
    Lloyd

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Therein lies the problem brother. 1) no one really does their best. 2) our best faithfulness adds nothing to our justification but rather adds only to our sanctification.

God Bless!

3. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

You, like bmerr, do not understand biblical salvation. Salvation is justification plus sanctification.

The gift of eternal life is God's activity. He planned it, prepared for it, executed it flawlessly, and now offers it freely to the world.

The gift of eternal life is passive to us. Humans cannot be God. We cannot plan, prepare for, earn, or work for God's free gift. However, we can accept it by faith. This is a passive affair. We receive justification. You have made a rather significant linguistics error in your understanding of the word "passive." You must understand my use of the word in the above context - not your slothful mental image.

Friend, you have only verified my main theological plank used against the error of water baptism regeneration. It is curious that here you seem to understand the distinctiveness of justification and sanctification. How is it that you go hot and cold in the same posting?

Justification is by faith in Jesus. Sanctification is by faithfulness and obedience. Water baptism is usually one of the first acts of obedience.

Lloyd

4. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. steaver was quoting me with

That was from one of my posts. Unless I'm mistake, steaver is on your side. That's why he supported your position in the second half of his post. I'm sure no offense was taken. He seems pretty reasonable for the most part.

In Christ,

bmerr

5. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. If salvation is not in any way dependant upon man's faithfulness to Christ, what will be the basis for one's reception of "Well done thou good and faithful servant"?

There are only two things given in Scripture (that I know of) for one to hear upon judgement. Either one will hear something like "I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matt 7:23), or one will hear something like, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant..." (Matt 25:21).

I can find no words of welcome for the servant who knew his master's will, but did not do it. Faithfulness seems to be of eternal value.

In Christ,

bmerr

6. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Great question! This is is combination of justification and sanctification. Servant means they have been justified by faith. faithfulness implies various degrees of "good" works.

Recall my post on depravity. Even these "good" works are tainted with human corruption. Justification would be impossible were it not based solely on Christ's righteousness. But sanctification is entirely possible and rewarded even with the taint of depravity. I can't go further - I'm not God. However, 1 Cor 3:11-15 as yet shows that total bad works still saves the individual.

You ask penetrating question. They all lead to justification!

Lloyd

7. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. So if one is a servant, and that means he was justified by faith, how do you explain the unfaithful servant who was stripped of what he had, and given his part with the unbelievers? Forgive the lack of Scripture references: no Bible with me right now.

In Christ,

bmerr

8. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey bmerr

I'm in a written debate in a Yahoo group. My time has been devoted to responding against the proposition that water baptism is required for salvation.

Here, you have yet delivered another fine question.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary gives the following:
    The Lord was teaching that forgiveness ought to be in direct proportion to the amount forgiven. The first servant had been forgiven all, and he in turn should have forgiven all. A child of God has had all his sins forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore when someone sins against him, he ought to be willing to forgive . . . from the heart no matter how many times the act occurs.

I know you are interested in OSAS which was not addressed. Context rules! Let's see what it says.

Saved Peter is asking the question about forgiveness. So we must not push the metaphor beyond what it was originally given to answer.

The question is about forgiveness not security. The Bible has lots of examples of saved believers who were punished or killed for their rebellion. Moses is the best of the examples. One "little" rebellion and - WHAMO! - death in the wilderness. Yet he appeared beside Jesus in the transfiguration. We know he is saved.

I note that the unfaithful servant was only "given to the tormentors" Matt 18:34 - not that he had a part with unbelievers. Isn't it amazing how one's theological bias modifies scripture!

Great question.
    Lloyd

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoiting Lloyd (ascund), "The unseen Spirit baptism is part of justification and is eternal (2 Cor 4:18).
    The visible water baptism is temporal and part of sanctification.
    The difference is critical. What can I do to help you see this?
    Lloyd

Thanks, Lloyd, for the clarity!
    I (personally) go one further, and cannot find a single instance of water baptism in the NT that wasn't an act of 'Apostolic' authority. Water-baptism (as far as I can see) stopped when the Apostolic generation had died out. The 'Spirit-baptism' is the baptism of Jesus Christ - it is the gift of grace whereby a sinner is born anew into the Kingdom of heaved SPIRITUALLY - that is, "by faith" - the 100% work and gift of the Holy Spirit.
    So by the buy, I have somewhere on the Boad said once that Popedom boasts apostolic succession because it has retained water-baptism!

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting Steaver, " our best faithfulness adds nothing to our justification but rather adds only to our sanctification."
    Amen, Steaver; yet again I (personally - no war-mongering) go one further - I say, our best faithfulness adds nothing to our justification but rather adds only to our DAMNATION! (Remember Luther referring to Isaiah and the filthy rags-righteousness?)

11. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Gerhard,

bmerr here. Curious view of baptism you have there. Which baptism was commanded in the context of the Great Commission?

In Christ,

bmerr

12. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. I'm going to respond to your last post on the OSAS thread. I'll put your post with it.

In Christ,

bmerr

13. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey bmerr

Luke's Great Commission is a bit generic and we can't unlock the temp0ral sequences or inner relationships. But we can with Matthews!! [​IMG]

Matt 28:19 shows baptism (baptizw: a participle) is dependent upon discipleship (matheteuw: the main verb). Thus, remission of sins comes when one is made a disciple – not by water baptism.

Make disciple = justification (Spirit baptism).
    Baptism = water baptism

2 Cor 4:18 shows that the unseen is eternal (Spirit baptism) while the seen is merely temporal (I can see, feel and drink water).

So Matthew's Great Commission has 'em both! Oh the joys of justification + sanctification.

So much harmony!
    Lloyd

14. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. You have cited 2 Cor 2:18 several times, with the intent of showing that Spirit baptism is "eternal", but water baptism is temporal, but I think you're misapplying what it says.

The context of this verse shows Paul to be contrasting the earthly sufferings of the faithful Christian (that which is seen) with the eternal reward of Heaven (that which is not seen).

If you were to apply your reasoning to Heb 11:1, then faith would be temporal, (and therefore worthless, by your reasoning), since faith is the evidence of things not seen. Apparently faith is something that can be seen, that points to something that cannot be seen.

Not only that, but by holding the idea that both Spirit baptism and water baptism are present, you end up in conflict with Eph 4:5, which tells us there is only "one baptism".

Lastly, Matt 28:19 (ASV), says to "...make disciples of all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". It seems to me that it is by baptizing people that they are made disciples, not that they are baptized after they are made disciples.

The phrase "...baptizing them..." is explanatory, or instructive, concerning the command to make disciples of all nations.

How are things going on the Yahoo chat? Does the opposition need any help? I'd be glad to lend a hand, if they do!

In Christ,

bmerr

15. ascund

ascund New Member

Good point. Consider the following:
    The new birth is “of the Spirit” (John 3:5,7). The Spirit quickens and gives eternal life (John 6:63). The law of the Spirit of life frees (Rom 8:2). The lack of the Spirit denies eternal life (Rom 8:9). The Spirit is life (Rom 8:10). The Spirit baptizes believers into Christ (1 Cor 12:13). The Spirit seals and provides the earnest of eternal life (2 Cor 1:22, 5:5; Eph 1:13-14). The Spirit gives life (2 Cor 3:6). Believers receive the Spirit by faith – not by works (Gal 3:2,14). The body without the Spirit is dead (Jam 2:26).

Hence, the only true baptism is the Spirit's baptism. Water baptism is nothing but a rite that marks the truth of the Spirit's eternal baptism. THERE IS ONLY ONE BAPTISM! Any move to uplift fickle water baptism above the Spirit's baptism creates a conflict with scripture. Similarly, any move to uplift fickle human obedience above Christ's obedience denies the Cross (unwittingly).

I continue posting Bible showing how the responses of a human-centered self-righteous system are in direct contrast to a Christ-centered system. However, as far as debates go, the side you are rooting for always wins irrespective of truth. (I think he needs ICU help).

Lloyd

16. mman

mman New Member

John 3:5Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

You ignore the “born of water” as if it were not even in the text. Being born of water is a requirement to entering the kingdom of God. Just what is the Kingdom? Matt 16:18-19, the word “Church” and “Kingdom” are used interchangeably.

This same Peter preached the gospel to the Jews in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost, in Acts 2. When we read Acts 2:38, 41, and 47 we can see how Jesus statement in John 3:5 is exactly what happened in Acts 2.

Agree

I Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

This verse tells us we are baptized into one body. The body is the church (Eph 1:22-23, Col 1:18). Therefore we are baptized into one Church. This applies to Jews or Greeks, slaves or free. Who could this exclude? How did this take place on the day of Pentecost, for those Jews?

Peter and the other apostles spoke “as the Spirit gave them utterance” – Acts 2:4. What instruction did the Spirit give to the believing Jews in Acts 2:37? To repent and be baptized, for the remission of sins.

Acts 2:41, Those who received the word, (What word? The words uttered by the Spirit, through Peter) were baptized and added. Added to what? The Church, as verse 47 tells us.

See how John 3:5 again fits perfectly with I Cor 12:13 and Acts 2.

17. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey mman

You analysis of John 3:5 is flawed by failure to examine CONTEXT - again.

In John 3, Jesus makes three attempts to teach that the new birth is “from above” (anwthen) (John 3:3,7). Thus, the new birth is not associated with human activity. In 3:5 Jesus introduces the contrast of born of water versus born of Spirit. In 3:6, Jesus further defines the contrast. Physical life is contrasted with eternal life. Physical life comes through the waters of birth; spiritual life comes by God’s Spirit! Verse 7 supplies the bookend to verse 5 showing that the new birth is spiritual from above and not from human activity below. You ignore the contrast and redefine the water of physical birth as water baptism.

Your error is further amplified by looking at the three illustrations Jesus uses. The second illustration talks of the new birth as illustrated by the wind. The wind is equated with the Spirit. No water here!

Jesus’ third illustration is the brazen serpent. When the murmuring Hebrews were disciplined with snakes, God had Moses build a brazen serpent on a pole. For salvation, all the people needed to do was LOOK at the brazen serpent. Jesus equates this look with “whosoever believeth” has everlasting life! Here is but one of many verses that show faith without baptism results in eternal life.

These three illustrations show justification is an EVENT from above. Your wayward appeal to John 3:5 is really a support for God’s activity in justification and a denial of conditional human-centered process justification. Context shows that the contrast is physical versus spiritual.

CONTEXT! When will you learn to use context?
    Lloyd

18. mman

mman New Member

You make the same mistake Nicodemus made. He thought Jesus was talking about physical birth also, but Jesus corrected him.

To imply that Jesus makes physical birth a condition of entering the kingdom defies even common sense.

See, I can show where John 3:5, Acts 2, and Mark 16:16 all harmonize, while using the simple language and logical conclusion of each text in its context, yet you cannot.

Take the brass serpent example. What action was required for them not to die (be healed)? They had to look upon the serpent.

No doubt, there were a large number of people, in the camp of hundreds of thousands and maybe millions of people. It would take some effort to see that serpent, no doubt some travel for most who were bitten.

What virtue is there in a brass snake? Can we use brass snakes to heal snakebite today? Of course not. Did the effort required to see the snake earn deliverance from the snake bite? No. God was the healer. He used the brass snake as a means to provide that healing. What about the person who was bitten, believed with all his heart what God said about the brass snake, yet remained in his tent? Could his belief alone protect him from the poision of the snake? Was belief alone enough or was some action required? Why would anyone think that looking on a brass snake could cure them? God said so and they believed Him, or in other words, by faith. It makes no sense by human reasoning, it was done by faith.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved - Mark 16:16. Is belief alone enough? Born of water. What virtue is there in water? Can water wash away sins? Can looking on a brass snake cure snakebite? No, the power is in God. Does baptism "earn" anything? No more than looking on a brass snake "earned" a cure. The power is in God, not the water or the snake. Why would anyone think that baptism washes away our sins? God said so, and we believe him, or in other words by faith. It makes no sense to my human reasoning, it is done by faith.

That is how we are born from above. God does it when we are "born of the water and the Spirit".

Paul said, "for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." - Gal 3:26-27.

God's childern are born. Born from above. They have been baptized INTO Christ. Some try to take the water out of John 3:5 and Gal 3:27.

You cannot take the water out of Acts 8:35-36, "Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?"

Preaching Jesus includes instructions for water baptism. Philip preached this same Jesus that said, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved" and also said, "unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

19. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. I'd like to adress something mman may have overlooked. You seemed to imply that the Holy Spirit is blowing around converting people in John 3:8. I've heard this taught before. I believe the idea was popularized by Billy Graham :rolleyes: . Here's the text:

John 3:8 - The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

First off, the Holy Spirit is not even a glorified "It", let alone some ordinary old "it". The Spirit is a Person of the Godhead, and is referred to in the masculine by Jesus in John 14:26, and 16:7-15.

Secondly, there are only two things blowing around in John 3:8: wind, and people. The Spirit is not. If you want the Holy Spirit to blow around, you're going to have to find another passage to teach it, because John 3:8 does not.

You also seemed to imply that "born of water" is a reference to physical childbirth. If this is the case, Jesus corrected Nicodemus by telling him he was correct!

Jesus would be telling a full grown man that he needed to be born. How absurd! That's what Nicodemus thought Jesus was talking about, and it didn't make sense to him, either. That's why Jesus corrected him.

The phrase "born of water, and of the Spirit", is but a restatement of "born again". Jesus goes on to explain that "that which is born of flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

Water is only paired with Spirit. The kingdom would not be a physical one, but a spiritual one. It is the church, that has existed since Pentecost of Acts 2, not some earthly domain ruled from Jerusalem, as the deluded masses seem to be waiting for.

In Christ,

bmerr

20. ascund

ascund New Member

hey bmerr

You miss John 3:3. The new birth is "from above." Born again is better translated as born from above. In verse 6 Jesus supplies the contrast between physical and spiritual.

Jesus didn't confirm that a person had to be an adult. He confirmed that one had to be physically born. Even Nicodemus understood the birth as a new born babe for he wondered how one could get back into the womb.

The next illustration continues the physical / Spiritual contrast. Here, the wind blows. You can't see it but you can see the result. This shows that the new birth is unseen (2 Cor 4:18) and eternal. The illustration isn't about God the Spirit. It is about the saving process not being seen. If you can see a baptism, then it doesn't save.

Jesus third illustration is the brazen serpent. Only the LOOK of faith was required for salvation. Jesus says that this is what is required from "whosoever believes." Nothing beyond a decision to trust is Jesus is required for the new birth - from above - that cannot be seen - that depends only and solely upon the LOOk of faith.

All three say the same thing. None of the three refers to water baptism.

Lloyd