1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did Apologetics become a seminary major

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Speedpass, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thirty years ago when I first was dealing with entering vocational ministry and attending a seminary, no such degrees were offered. What factors caused seminaries to offer this major--something I have been interested in over the past ten years?
    As a side note, I will also remark that also 30 years ago the seminaries in my "home" denomination (SBC) tended to only offer MDiv, MRE, and MCM degrees. Today more majors such as apologetics, church planting, and Islamic studies have popped up.

2. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we are seeing similar things in other degrees as well, more and more specialization. I don't know what school was the first, but I remember Biola/Talbot being one of the early ones at least to offer an actual degree in Apologetics.

Another interesting thing is to see the MACE/MRE disappear from some campuses as well.

• Agree Agree x 1