1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When/ how did Zwingliist symbolism/ memorialism enter mainstream evangelicalism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am going to give my suggestions for two other ways it could have slipped in. Firstly during the early 18th Century, when a high level of rationalism got into Non-Conformity. The split in one of the baptist groupings and in English presbyterianism which resulted in the formation of Unitarianism happened at this time with people feeling that Trinitarianism was irrational. Unitarians where they have eucharist are pretty strict memorialists.

If you then add the fact that the Evangelical Revival was nowhere like as simple as a setting up of the Methodist Church but also led to a revival in established Dissenting congregations, you have the seeds corn for this view of eucharist going into the main stream evangelicalism.

However the heyday of Evangelicalism is in fact the Victorian Era, and this was also the time when Non-conformists saw themselves as the "New Establishment" setting up Schools, Universities and Hospitals. The missionary movement was at its height and the tendency of Victorian to pride themselves on being rational, could at least lead to again an increase in those taking the stance of memorialism. This was an age that felt it could do away with superstition.

Now Memorialism's attractive point is that it does not require any belief in power outside that of the human mind for its effectiveness. No hidden spiritual stuff.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I didn't bail out for lack of evidence, or supporting SCripture. I demonstrated conclusively that those who are honest with the text are memorialists. I bailed out because I was repeating the same thing over and over in response to those who repeated the same thing over and over. We haven't had anything different for more than 5 pages now. There is my side which leans heavily on teh words of hte text and their normal meaning, and there are those who insist on reading otherwise. Have at it ... Ultimately, memorialism is right, so no matter what you think you are still only partaking of bread and wine. Your mind does not have the power to make it more than it is.

3. Alexander

Alexander New Member

Matt Black,

Interesting comments about how memorialism got such a hold among Protestants. I think you're right, in large part, about its rise during the Victorian era. I would only add that the Victorian attitude toward the the power of rational thought was itself an outgrowth of the Enlightenment.

As I think it about more, I think the prevalent belief among many Protestants includes 'receptionism', so that the 'memorial' aspect is operative only during the moments when the Eucharist is celebrated and the elements received by the communicant. After that's over, the attitude of the memorialist is to throw the 'left-overs' in the garbage. So the 'memorial' aspect seems to be operative only when the recipient is thinking about it. When he stops thinking about it, the elements are just common bread and wine again and can be disposed of like left-over scraps from the dinner table!

In any event, there is evidence that some denominations are re-capturing the knowledge of the Real Presence. The United Methodist Church here in the U.S. has completed a study of both Baptism and the Eucharist and the results are moving that church to reclaim the catholic and apostolic teaching regarding the nature of those sacraments. A good thing!

Alexander

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Larry, as has been demonstrated ample times now, your side is emphatically not the one that "leans heavily on teh[sic] words of hte[sic] text and their normal meaning". Ultimately, the real presence is the truth regardless of what you may think.

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I am still trying to find where Jesus calls it bread and wine. In addition, I am still waiting for a satisfactory answer to my question; if the body and blood are not present why is Paul so worried about people profaning them?

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is not true, as the "hidden spiritual stuff" is Christ living in US. Any age has some error that can be linked to any doctrine we think was added later. The question is what doctrinal movement in the early centuries could have led to the spiritual presence of Christ being extended to something else where it did not belong? (e.g. Eliminate any discernment by deliberately bypassing the human mind through mystical proposition, so no one can possibly challenge it. That is an age old tactic, that has resulted in much of the dissension and schismatism you all criticize).

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I think the burden is on those who assert that there was a 'doctrinal movement in the early centuries' to prove that this was the case and that the Church held anything other than a non-memorialist position from the word go. The key words in your post are 'we think' it 'was added later'; you don't know so

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

"we think" is a rhetorical statement, that actually referred mainly to your position. You think that this so-called "memorialism" was added later, and try to link it to Enlightenment, or whatever, and you don't know so; it's just a typical quick, easy guilt by association plug like everyone else does with every doctrine they don't like, and the universal scapegoat of enlightenment, and human rationality independant of almighty organized Church control. I was simply warning that we can make the same claim with mysticism and the prevailing climate in the early centuries, and no, it does not by itself prove anything either way.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But, there is evidence to support my contention: with the exception of Zwingli, who was something of an aberration to all his contemporaries, memorialism did only really gain ground within evangelicalism after the Enlightenment. You can see the evidence in the various confessions/ SoFs I cited earlier. Even the London Baptist Confession of 1689 - just prior to the Enlightenment - is receptionist rather than memorialist in character; if anyone should have been memorialist pre-Enlightenment, it was the Baptists, as I'm sure Pastor Larry would be quick to point out!

10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not necessarily denying that therewas any connection between the Enlightenment and the Zwinglian position. The false assumption is that this proves that it is wrong, or simply "made up" by them. The Dark Ages Churh had had the entire world in shackles so long; it provoked a ratioonalistic revolt. Ma's mind was not intended by God to be held in such bondage like that. So there was revolt. In this revolt, some truth (suppressed by the Church) was rediscovered, but then people also went too far, and rejected God altogether, but that does not prove that there was no truth at all uncovered by the movement.

What exactly is "receptionism"?

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Broadly speaking, I would say that there are four main positions in Christianity concerning communion:-

Transubstantiation - the bread and wine physically become the Body and Blood of Christ; thus what is consumed is no longer bread and wine - those elements are destroyed - but Jesus' Body and Blood. That is of course the Catholic position

Consubstantiation - what is physically present at communion is bread and wine and the Body and Blood of Christ; in this view the elements are not destroyed but Jesus' Body and Blood are physically added to them. That is the Lutheran position.

Receptionism - classically held to have originated with Cranmer and still the official position of Anglicanism today, along with Presbyterianism/ Reformed/ Calvinist churches, Methodists and historically ( LBC 1689) Baptists. This view states that while what is physically received in communion is merely bread and wine, what is spiritually received by faith by the recipient is Christ's Body and Blood and the recipient is thus spiritually nourished by this vehicle of grace and Christ's Presence. The Anglican Book of Common Prayer as translated into modern English sums this position up in its communion liturgy: "Draw near with faith; receive the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ; eat and drink in remembrance that He died for you and feed on Him in your hearts by faith and with thanksgiving". This is the view which most closely corresponds to my own.

Memorialism - whilst all of the three above views include an aspect of remembrance of Jesus' death, this is the only one which has this aspect alone; it asserts that what we eat and drink at communion is bread and wine which are mere symbols, 'tokens' or 'emblems' of Jesus' death; nothing other than bread and wine is received by the recipient either physically or spiritually. This seems to be the view of most modern free evangelicals (Baptists, Congregationalists, restorationist charismatics, and AFAIK Pentecostals)

I realise have left out the Orthodox above. They believe in the Real Presence of Christ in communion, but would say that arguments over transubstantiation vs consubstantiation vs receptionism are typical western Christian rationalist attempts to explain a great mystery and to put God in a box. They would leave the issue as to how Christ is Really Present in communion to Christ.

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, everyone just throws around "rationalism". :rolleyes: Once again, just a big scapegoat of mind-controlling Churches.

Anyway; I would say Receptionism is close enough to what I and many others would accept. I would say that "memorialism" is nothing but a receptionism reworded, in order to emphasize the spiritual and not physical presence, to the point that many later Baptists and other evangelicals would just say "it's a memorial". That would explain the change from that earlier Baptist position and the later one, rather than anyone just taking it from rationalism.

13. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I would like to offer correction. Consubstantiation is a misunderstanding of the Lutheran Position. We are closer to the Orthodox on this issue.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Chemnitz, thanks for the correction, but I had always understood the historic Lutheran - or at least Luther's - position to be consubstantiation - something about "Christ's Body and Blood being present in the bread and wine in the same way that fire is present in molten lead".

Eric, if you are receptionist then I guess you and I are not so far apart after all, but I have to say I have not encountered that view in the Baptist churches I have been to and I suspect we would be in some difficulty if we were asked to lead communion at a Baptist church and used words to the effect of the receptionist liturgy I quoted in my previous post...

15. Alexander

Alexander New Member

Matt Black,

Thank you for your summary of the four main ways modern Christians think about the Holy Communion.

As far as receptionism being the 'official' position of Anglicanism: Although that is a reasonable interpretation when one reads the Thirty-nine Articles, the influence of those of those on modern-day Anglicanism, at least in the U.S., is somewhat murky. I would say that in practice, most Anglicans think more like the Orthodox, and would say that the way in which our Lord is present in the Eucharist is a mystery, but real nonetheless. There are those of course who regard the sacrament is a quaint ritual, but there are people like that in all groups.

Perhaps the Anglican belief is most readily seen in our practice (of course - - - that's one thing that makes us Anglicans!) of reserving the Eucharist in a tabernacle or aumbry with a sanctuary lamp burning before it. That is the norm, rather than the exception. The other groups you mention as believing in receptionism (Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.) do not practice the reservation of the Eucharist (to my knowledge) and would be very unlikely to do so.

But another thing about Anglicans is our diversity (just look at recent events!). I heard a comment about the Orthodox but I think it applies to Anglicans as well: "I don't believe in organized religion. I'm an Anglican." !!!

Alexander

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Hehe!

I think the receptionist view does fall within the ambit of a belief in the Real Presence, albeit a spiritual rather than physical Real Presence.

I have to say that I haven't come across the reservation of the Eucharist and sanctuary lamps in Anglican churches I've been to over here but maybe that's because the one's I tend to go to tend to be of the more evangelical kind, and I suspect that kind of thing is more common in Anglo-Catholic or traditionalist (ie: Common Prayer) CofE churches

17. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I am not familiar with that analogy for the Lord's Supper. I have read this analogy in reference to the Human and Divine natures of Christ in Origen.

Receptionism also appears in those who believe in the physical presence in the form of the idea that the body and blood are present only upon reception of the sacrament.

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's interesting; because "fire" is not actually present in the molten lead; it's the heat that remains present. Fire is just a release of energy from heat, that generates more heat.
    Once agian, Baptists would not express it that way because they are so used to emphasizing how different they are from anything Catholic, so they shy as far away from anything sounding Catholic until it is completely different.

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not familiar with that analogy for the Lord's Supper. I have read this analogy in reference to the Human and Divine natures of Christ in Origen.</font>[/QUOTE]I read this today in one of Luther's works. I'm not sure which one (I researched from several of them). It may be in "Babylonian Captivity."

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Real Presence (of some kind - as I said, as more of a receptionist, I tend to err more towards the spiritual version of this) is good enough for me.

I believe Jesus when He said I must eat His flesh and drink His blood if I want to enter His Kingdom.

I believe the Apostle when he says I must be cautious when partaking the sacrament els I be under a curse.

I believe Jesus when He said it was His body and Blood (of the New Covenant)

I believe Jesus when He says that He is bread from heaven.

I believe that He is present.

I have no idea how that happens.

I am astonished that some groups think that by saying this is all symbolic, they in some way devalue the sacrament. If He is that keen on these symbols then they have a value as great in symbol (at minimum) of a national flag- that is; the nation is itself imbued into the value of the flag.

You can con/ trans or Zwingli away; and only achieve the goal of misapplied logic. This is not a place to apply logic as a guide. If you are in rapturous love with someone, then logic is useful but not primary. Logic applied here would be destructive, and irrational- in that, being in love is not rational. Therefore, the application of logic would be a misapplication and harmful- therefore irrational, unless your goal was to be render harm, which would mean that it wasn´t love.