1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When/ how did Zwingliist symbolism/ memorialism enter mainstream evangelicalism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Michael52

Michael52 Member

I think most memorialist, deep down, don't have a problem with the receptionist stance (I don't). The problem comes in when people mistakenly believe the "real presence" is somehow inherent in the elements, rather than the "real presence" that Jesus Christ has, or should have, in their daily lives. Without "that" presence, juice and crackers are merely juice and crackers.

Thus, to focus on the "presence" that really matters, I'll err on the memorialist's side. Besides, as Pastor Larry has so well illustrated, the memorialist postion is much easier to defend from the Scriptures. [​IMG]

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm...I'm not sure that that amounts to receptionism; receptionism says that Christ is spiritually present in some way in the elements and that s/he who eats and drinks the elements by so doing spiritually receives and feeds on Christ. What you're describing seems to be halfway between receptionism and memorialism but leaning heavily towards the latter.

3. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Sobeit.

In response, I originally wrote a lengthy reply spelling out my own, possibly errant or non-systematic, view on the subject. I realized that I wouldn’t really be saying anything original that other learned Christians had not already heard and could use to better fit my view into a neat category. Some would simply agree and some would disagree.

I guess everyone should seek to be convinced in his own mind and I’m probably not the best to try and convince anyone otherwise.

Though, like you, it does bother me when those who tend toward “trans/sub” try to question sincerity and commitment of others with different views (yes, there is the flip-side). I do like to read and try to understand the insights of others.

Who am I to criticize the servant of another?