1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When is revision necessary?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except it is not allowed by the Greek of John 1:1. Read the verse.

εν αρχη ην ο λογος και ο λογος ην προς τον θεον και θεος ην ο λογος

Note the last words θεος ην ο λογος. θεος (God) is in the emphatic position. It is saying "and the word was - most emphatically - God."

We use the same position of emphasis in English.

The coffee is hot. That is a simple declarative sentence. It is ready to drink

HOT coffee! This is an emphatic statement focusing on the fact the coffee is very hot and caution should be practiced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A looser translation might be even, "God--the Word is He!"

I think, contextually, the logical progression also supports the orthodox view.

1) The Word was in the beginning. 2) The Word was with God. 3) The Word was God.

"In the beginning" ties to being "with God" by hearkening back to Genesis 1. Being "with God" ties to "was God" not only by being the next logical step of time, presence, existence but also by having θεον και θεος so constructed. God is 2/3 words in that brief snippet. John's tying them together, and the definite article in προς τον θεον clearly indicates that he means THE only God.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All modern English translations are in need of revision to improve correspondence and transparency.

One computer sort could identify all the English words or phrases used to translate more than one Greek word. Hell would pop because it translates both Hades and Gehenna. Or strife would pop because it is used to translate both "ereis (G2054) and "entherai" (G2052).

4. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

My understanding of Greek, which just happens to coincide with the KJV, is that ὁ isn't required to be taken as a definite article. Darby just does it makes the Bible look less incompatible with his doctrine. And, I still see no basis whatsoever in Greek for Darby to change "[has] come" to "coming" in the verse I provided.

I believe it is the style of the biblical Greek to use present forms where English would use past forms. In any case, context proves that in Luke 24, that the subject was the past coming, not a future coming as Darby changes it to. Further, Darby's insertion of the word "about" brings an immanency to the verse that is absolutely lacking in the original Greek. So, Darby is guilty of pseudo-literalness. The KJV is accurate. Darby is not.

5. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

That's what verse notes are for.

Here's the problem, most English readers have no idea what Gehenna is and only understanding Hades as a pagan concept. So, what should a translator do? The KJV chose to translate both to Hell (while that word has a pagan origin, Christians only understand it has a biblical word). (I don't think the KJV made the best choice.)

Translation necessarily involves compromise.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to the literary present? If so, that's definitely in English. I can't speak of the Greek as to whether it is also present.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The inspired text draws a distinction between Hades, and Gehenna which should not be obliterated by using Hell for both. The inspired text draws a distinction between G1254 and G1252, which should not be obliterated by using strife for both.

Hades seems to be the temporary holding cell and punishment chamber for the lost until the Great White Throne Judgment, when the lost are consigned to the Lake of Fire forever and ever. And the Lake of Fire seems to be located in the spiritual Gehenna.

I think self centered or self centeredness would improve the seven translations where that word appears.
    The LEB translators thought selfish ambition was better. My issue is the translators should have a basis for choosing to use different English words or phrases when it appears to other translators the very same meaning was intended in all seven cases.

#87 Van, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about being picayune! There is no significant change in meaning with the two translations of that verse.
    Coming in flesh --not just coming.
    The above is utter absurdity.

This is Darby's translation of 1 john 4:2:
    "Hereby ye know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses Jesus Christ come in flesh is of God."

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are mistaken ...again.

The following is taken from the revised preface to his second edition of the New Testament in 1871:

"In the next place the reader has not a revision of the Authorized Version, but a translation from the best Greek text I could attain to any certain knowledge of."

10. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

"is come" vs "coming" is a huge difference. They are opposites.

I know you want to squint your eyes and pretend "coming" doesn't mean the future, but me and the dictionary disagree with you:

com·ing
    ˈkəmiNG
    adjective
    due to happen or just beginning.
    "work is due to start in the coming year"
    synonyms: forthcoming, imminent, impending, approaching; More
    likely to be important or successful in the future.
    "he was the coming man of French racing"

That's typical of the twisting of scripture Darby does. He changed the KJV's words, and defied the intent of the Greek, to stop 1 John 4:2 from clearly pointing to Christ's first coming. The best I can say is in this kludged verse, at least Darby avoided the word "coming" which forces a future meaning. You can argue it's literal, but that argument ignores Greek style of using present forms for past events. And, you can't make the augment that Darby was blindly following literalism when he uses the word "coming" in 2 John 1:7

11. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

Come on Rippon, you just like being contrary? Anyone with eyeballs can see that Darby's translation is mostly a tweaked KJV.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are being dense. The KJV is not the standard. It is silly to constantly say things to the effect that the KJVs words have been changed. He was not using it as his base text --but the original Greek. He was aided by the works of Tregelles and Tishendorf for instance.

You don't even believe Darby's very own words.

Do you also think that the ERV of 1881 was also based on the KJV? By the way, the translators of the latter consulted Darby's version for their project.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The translation committee thought it was. That is how they named it.

New Testament 1881. C.J. Ellicott, et al., The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated out of the Greek: Being the Version Set Forth A.D. 1611, Compared with the Most Ancient Authorities and Revised, A.D. 1881. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1881.

The New Testament version commonly called the “Revised Version” (RV) or the “English Revised Version” (ERV) of 1881, of which the American Standard Version was an American edition. This version is a revision of the King James version made on the basis of Westcott and Hort 1881 and Tregelles 1857. The readings adopted by the committee of revisers were presented in a continuous Greek text in Palmer 1881, which includes marginal notes showing every departure from the Greek text presumed to underlie the King James version (for which see Scrivener 1881). See the version’s preface for detailed explanations of the principles and method of revision.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Returning to topic, the need to revise all the modern English translations to improve correspondence and transparency. If you look at an Exhaustive concordance of say the NIV, you will be struck by how many different words are used to translate one Greek word family. 4 or 5 different words or phrases might be required to cover the range of meanings of the word, but when you see 10, or even 20 different words and phrases for one Greek word, something bogus is in view.

Once a software writer confided in me that one secret of the trade was always leave something to fix for the next revision. That way you do not work yourself out of a job. Well it seems to me the modern bible translators have ensured the need for far more revisions.

#94 Van, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  15. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

The translators do that with the intent (I hope) of nothing other than the goal of producing a readable and accurate product. You'll always need to check notes, and other references, for a better understanding of what the text means. The most we can ask for are translations that aren't created by people who have an agenda to skew the Bible.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. I stand corrected.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder which is closer to the KJV --the English Revised Version of 1881, or the NKJV of 1982? And shouldn't the NKJV at this late date, be revised?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know why the translators say they want transparency and correspondence, yet needlessly translate the same word meaning using a great many differing English words or phrases. And why did they use the same English word or phrase to translate several different Greek words? For example "strife" is used to translate 2 different Greek words. That behavior would score zip on the transparency scale.

#98 Van, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never learn. I have made my case time and time again, but the light isn't on in your belfry.

Logos has to be translated in a variety of ways or it would not make any sense in English.

In the NASU the following words are used for Logos:
    Matt.
    5:32 : reason
    5:37 : statement
    12:32 : word
    18:23 : accounts
    21:24 : thing
    28:15 : story

Mark
    1:45 : news
    8:32 : matter
    11:29 : question

Luke
    4:32 : message
    7:17 : report
    16:2 : accounting

John
    21:23 : saying

Acts
    1:1 : account
    14:12 : speaker
    19:38 : complaint
    20:12 : exhortation

And I'm not picking on the NASU. The NIV and every other English translation has a wide variety
    of words for Logos in these passages. One, two, three, even seven or eight would not be enough
    to fit the bill of proper translation.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your understanding of Greek is quite limited. Yes, there are some cases where the Greek article does not need to be translated, such as when they precede a name. This is not such a case. It is an adjectival participle. Darby's rendering is perfectly permissible.

You "see no basis in Greek"? May I ask what Greek training you have to make such a statement? So far you have shown no such training in your answers. Surely you don't want to be thought of as a "wannabe," do you? You've made many good posts on the BB, and at this point I respect your views in everything but this thread.

Other than the historical present, when is it "the style of the biblical Greek to use present forms where English would use past forms"? Are you familiar with Greek aspect? Apparently not, since you are using the terms "past" and "present" in reference to Greek participles, where aspect trumps tense almost all the time.

Darby's renderings in every point that you have criticized are completely permissible. He was a Greek scholar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.