1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When was our planet created according to Genesis 1?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Genesis 1:9 describes the creation and formation of the earth, so verse 2 could be interpretatively translated as "the earth was a nonexistent nothingness.

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 11:3 is very clear on "Creation out of nothing"

By faith, we understand that the universe has been framed by the word of God, so that what is seen has not been made out of things which are visible

This means, that God did not use "matter" that already existed to Create the Universe that we live in, as this would mean that this "matter", would have had to exist prior to the Creation of Genesis 1:1, which is not possible, as Genesis 1:1, is the BEGINNING of all Creation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, and understand that clearly from Genesis 1:9-10.

As for some of the other comments in this thread,
    I confess to being amazed that God's word is not viewed as being sufficient and wholly authoritative on the subject.

#23 Dave G, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  4. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I misunderstood.

I don't read a specific date or period of time past in Gen 1 ... just the order and that everything was created in 6 consecutive 24 hour periods.

and from the rest of The Word, I know this event occurred about 6000 earth laps around the sun ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "others" like the prophet Jeremiah:

Jer 4:19 My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.
    Jer 4:20 Destruction upon destruction is cried; for the whole land is spoiled: suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment.
    Jer 4:21 How long shall I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?
    Jer 4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.
    Jer 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.
    Jer 4:24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.
    Jer 4:25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled.
    Jer 4:26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger.
    Jer 4:27 For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.
    Jer 4:28 For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a matter of interpertation of Jeremiah's reference to Genesis 1:2. Not all interperters agree on his usage. And this goes to the disagreement of "was" or " became."

7. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say he was referring to Genesis. The passage is primarily prophetic of the tribulation.
    The idea was to show that the Holy Ghost, scripture with scripture (1Co.2:13) uses without form, and void to describe destruction, not creation. That is not debatable. Note how Jeremiah follows up with darkness, just as in Genesis 1:2.
    Cf. also the destruction of Nineveh:
    Nah 2:10 She is empty, and void, and waste: and the heart melteth, and the knees smite together, and much pain is in all loins, and the faces of them all gather blackness.

P.S. Even though I believe there's a gap in Genesis 1:1-2, I do not believe that universe is millions of years old.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My reference to Genesis 1:2 is a cross reference interpertation to Jeremiah citing it.

9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you believe in a Gap?

10. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    My 50 pages probably won't fit the post.
    On what day (using a verse) were the waters created?
    On what day (using a verse) were the angels created?

11. Two Wings

Faith:
    Baptist
    when time was created.

I wasn't there but I know the One who was ... and is ... and is to come. ;)

angels? in time to marvel and rejoice over The Creator's work ...

Which reminds me ...

BALANCE!

==============

Balance

The Archangel Michael had the heavenly host assembled to sing their choruses of praise to the Almighty.

But … God was not present. So Michael set off to locate Him and advise the host was ready to go …

not long after Michael started his search, well, he found God. “Sir, the heavenly host is assembled and ready when you are”

“Ah … Michael! come over here. I want to show you something”

“Oh, yes sir, what do you want me to see?”

“Michael, I’ve been creating.” “Creating? cool!”

“Yes, Michael, see for yourself the stars, planets, the sun … all in perfect order”

“I see! there is one unique planet there, God, what do you call THAT one?”

“Ah, Michael, that is planet Earth. And Earth, Michael … is ALL about balance”

“balance?”

“Yes, Michael, balance. For instance, see there in northern Europe, those people will have terrible weather, but will be quite wealthy. Conversely, the beaches in Southern Europe are pristine, but the people there will be almost paupers.”

“Hmm” mutters Michael as he continued to watch the little blue marble spin about.

“Wait” Michael exclaimed … “what is THAT section right there? with the piney woods, massive coastline, hill country, rich farmland, ranches everywhere, wild game, livestock and plains from yesterday to tomorrow!?”

“Ah, Michael … you have taken notice of TEXAS”

“TEXAS??? wow, that’s a GREAT name”

“Yes, Michael, TEXAS is the land of milk and honey. Everything is bigger in TEXAS. You’ve noted the natural resources/features. TEXAS will be populated by a great people. Handsome, charming, intelligence, gracious, and generous. Folks all over the world will be blessed when they are visited by a Texan.”

“Hmm. OK … so the land is diverse, plentiful, rich … and the people are as well … but what about balance?”

with a wink in His eye, “Wait until you see the idiots I put in Austin to run the place.”

NOW you know the rest of the story!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me try this one more time. Is the earth created in Genesis 1:1 or is the earth created in Genesis 1:9

13. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key here is that it is a matter of interpretation, thus precludes dogmatizing.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true. A pile of bricks can be a house without form.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone is forgetting the Deep, the sudden appearance of the raw material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the Deep has escaped your notice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verse 1. They're called the Deep.
    Genesis is not the record of the creation of angels, but of the corporeal world.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “I see! there is one unique planet there, right in the center, God, what do you call THAT one?”

:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The visible to the eye galaxy Andromada is measured to be about 2 1/2 million light years away.

20. Two Wings

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK ... I'll take verse 9 for $200.

verse 1 declaring this to be so ... and 2-on the details which include 6 consecutive 24 hour periods for all of Creation ... which started about 6000 years ago and was completed about 6000 years minus 6 days ago.