1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When we disagree.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 37818, Feb 4, 2022.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a spectrum of issues, which are secondary, not essentials to being a genuine Christian, which we disagree on.
    It can be frustrating to argue in circles, back and forth over some of these matters. Sometimes not allowing the view held by the other person, by making untrue statements against the view not held.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the nature of social media. We people can say things behind the anonymity of a screen which leads to hostility and pride. I guarantee you the things we say hiding behind the computer screen we may not say in person and face to face.

There's not much listening and a whole lot blustering.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Christians, I would think, we would be genuine in our dealings with our fellow Christians.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dealings with my fellow church members are not contentious. I enjoy the fellowship. But as an OTR truck driver, I'm rarely home and in church. I'm mostly relegated to watching online.

Virtually every communication here is contentious. Fellowship here is virtually non-existent.

I grow at church.

I wilt here.

I'm of the opinion that this debate forum does not glorify Christ. I believe it brings out the worst in all of us.

This place just doesn't fill the void that I need filled.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actally, I have met a few of BB members in person - and have talked to several others on the phone

As a n OTR driver - you could meet several - if you were to mention your routes -and stop and have lunch with folks. ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I do not wish to be contentious. I love discussing differences where they exist. Hopefully, I will be the one learning something new to understand. There is more I do not know, than I know.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it helps, I would be just as honest with you in person.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is good we can agree on this.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are both on FB - you can call each other without giving out phone numbers--- so consider a "phone call"

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With some, it may be that. With others, it's not. I primarily come here to discuss topics, be they doctrine or politics. I didn't come here to make friends or make enemies, just to have discussion.The more controversial the discussion, the more interesting it is.

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would/am too.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope I can say this without violating rules, but it's important so I will chance saying it. I don't consider Democrats Christians. My face to face interaction with them is just like my online interaction with them. It can be even more abrasive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see that notion. But I also know that is not necessarily true. Not all professing Christians are actually Christians. And others do not come to know this until after the said professing Christian denies the faith. The Apostles were aware of this problem. Paul wrote, in 2 Corinthians 13:5, ". . . Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? . . ." Peter wrote, 2 Peter 1:5-10, ". . . giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; . . . he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: . . ." And John wrote, 1 John 2:19, ". . . They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. . . ." And we know from Paul it has to do with not understanding the gospel, 2 Corinthians 4:3, ". . . But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: . . ." And Jesus even addressed this problem with the parable of the sower.

What we want to be is to strength those who are weak that they might come to a proper understanding of the truth. I do not believe the saved can become lost. But there are profesing Christians who are not yet actually saved. And I for one do not want to drive them away.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    in that case -------------- oh just forget it

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is like the Pharisees declaring that God doesn't love Samaritans or Gentiles. Your comment basically declares that most African Americans are not Christians, even though their faith may be greater than yours, just because they vote for a Democrat instead of a Republican.
    Rey, anyone reading your post can see the emptiness of your post. It makes me disappointed to see how narrow minded you are.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. Donald Trump, based upon his speech and behavior, represents your statement. Radical right and left wing persons who self identify as Christian may really be tares or goats in the field.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH MY GOODNESS, I HAVE VOTE A COUPLE OF DEMOCRATS!

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE LOST MY SALVATION!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians do not advance the party of guaranteed abortion on demand and homosexual rights. Color is no excuse. I enjoy being narrow minded. Narrow, just like the gate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have met a few on here and have called a few... Though met none in person but talking to one found out that his wife was going through ovarian cancer... My wife also went thru breast cancer and is a survivor of seven years now... Now what does that have to do with the one I talked too?... Only this after my wife went thru her cancer, she started the cancer, care and compassion ministry at our church... I found out talking to the brother in question his wife loves horses, so she made a blanket for her and sent it to her, to New Jersey... FREE!... My wife is a regular Dorcas... Her and her ladies group makes handmade comfort items for people going through cancer, fleece hats, embroidered bags, and blankets, no matter what the cancer or what the age... Or if they attend church or not... She sees a need and fills it... When people come to visit I say... Welcome to Jo-Ann's... Our front room looks like a fabric store... She has been on this mission now for 5 years... She puts the doctrine of love in action and I help her get supplies... What have you done for the LORD lately?... Brother Glen:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Salty gave me his number, so I called him and we had a nice conversation but it was cut short, Mrs. Salty called him to dinner... He knows better then keep the missus waiting... Now play nice or I will sic Salty on ya!... Brother Glen;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1