1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whenever You Hear Someone Complain the Rich Don’t Pay Their ‘Fair Share,’ Show Them

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times have you heard some version of “the wealthiest Americans should be paying their fair share?” But does anyone actually know what that means and, more importantly, what the highest-earning Americans are currently paying in taxes?

Now, thanks to the American Enterprise Institute and the Congressional Budget Office’s latest report on income and taxes, we know whom is paying what. And the picture painted by reality is very different than what one would expect.

You can decide for yourself if they are already paying “their fair share.”

The top 1% of households earned 15% of income but paid 35% of federal income taxes.
    The top 20% of households earned 52% of income but paid 69% in federal income taxes.
    The bottom 20% of households income tax rates dropped from 9% to 1.9% since 1984.
    40% of households get more than half their income from federal transfer programs.
    When government transfers are included, 60% of Americans had net negative tax rates — meaning they received more than they paid in.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/11/203...share-20-americans-pay-almost-100-everything/

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

A global super-rich elite had at least $21 trillion (£13tn) hidden in secret tax havens by the end of 2010, according to a major study.

The figure is equivalent to the size of the US and Japanese economies combined.

The Price of Offshore Revisited was written by James Henry, a former chief economist at the consultancy McKinsey, for the Tax Justice Network.

Tax expert and UK government adviser John Whiting said he was sceptical that the amount hidden was so large.

Mr Whiting, tax policy director at the Chartered Institute of Taxation, said: "There clearly are some significant amounts hidden away, but if it really is that size what is being done with it all?"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-18944097

Correct me if I'm wrong Rev but aren't tax havens meant to hide wealth to avoid having to pay "the fair share"?

#2 poncho, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with tax havens. Whatever keeps money out of government hands is fine by me. Still given that the top 1% paid 35% of all taxes in spite of any tax havens says quite a bit.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing this country needs more of is tax havens

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care how much it is. If we want it to come back on shore we need to make this country more business friendly.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with "fair" is it's a subjective word.

To the takers, whatever the rich pay, or you and me for that matter, will never be enough.