1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do Calvinists make their errors?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

John,

You're right. I expressed my opinion. I've never claimed it was anything but my opinion. You have made it clear that you disagree with that opinion. Fine, let's move on.

In MY experience in dealing with these issues I believe that many Christians who are being persuaded by this resurgance of Calvinistic thought would be less likely to adopt it had they first been made aware of the issues I have presented here. Notice that I said, "In MY experience" and "I believe." That is not a proven fact, nor do I have any type of certified statistical data to present. I hope it is still ok to just state our opinions on this board.

Now, can we deal with the actual points that I made? Who knows maybe my "opinion" is correct? We won't know until we deal actually deal with it.

2. Skandelon

I'm not trying to debate grammar. I'm pointing to possible intent. I'm trying to make you see how Paul could refer to believers as being called but not necessarily mean that they were the only ones who were called. The fact is we KNOW that many are called by the gospel, but you are arguing that the call being refered to in this text is the inward, irresistably calling of the Holy Spirit. That has to be assumed upon the text because it says nothing about that. Your basing your belief upon a grammatical use of a phrase that could relistically be understood in more than one way. I'm just saying you need more than this to come to a hard and fast conclusion, which is why you shouldn't dismiss this as a possiblity.

You must admit that someone could say the phrase the way I did with the intent that I was expressing and that would be very reasonable. It is quite possible that Paul's intent was the same as someone who says, "Those called to ministry experience a great since of joy." This could be understood to mean that everyone who is called to ministry and who is actually following that calling will experience joy. The postive response to that calling can simply be implied within the statement. We understand that there could be, and likely are, people in the world who have been called to ministry who have yet to follow that calling and experience the joy. But that is not what the author would be attempting to express. Paul could very well be doing the very same thing here.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

He could refer to believers being called and not necessarily mean that they were the only ones who were called, but when he says, "THOSE WHO WERE CALLED" it implies ALL of those who were called. You may not want to argue grammar, but often the precise meaning of a sentence comes from the grammar.

What Paul COULD do is irrelevant. What the text says (by ways of the grammar) is relevant.

Yes, I agree--many are called by the gospel. And I am indeed arguing that this is not the GOSPEL call, but the call of the Holy Spirit. Why? Because this is the call that makes the gospel call effective. There are from the Jews and the Gentiles both those who hear the gospel and pronounce it foolish or offensive. But for those who are called with THIS call (the type of call--whatever it is--that Paul is talking about in this passage) , from among both the Jews and the Gentiles, the gospel is not foolish or offensive, but power and wisdom. It is an effective call.

No, it's not assumed--the text says the call makes the gospel wisdom and power to those people.

No, it can't "realistically" be understood in another way. The particular grammar used here is a hard and fast fence around how this can be understood. Any other understanding is one that IGNORES the grammar. And you are free to ignore the grammar, if you like, but then you are ignoring one of the key tools we have in determining the meaning of a passage. Why would you want to do that?

Anyone who is careful with how they speak or write would not write "those called" when they really mean "those who are called and actually follow that call". And I think we can be assured that Paul, under the approving hand of the Holy Spirit, was careful how he spoke and wrote.

You have failed to show anything in the text to support your interpretation. Can you do that? Show me from the text of 2 Thessalonians why "you" and "we" in 2:13 ought to refer to who you say they do. Show me from the text of Corinthians why your interpretation of this passage is correct.

If you can't, then please drop the unfounded assumptions charge. We all make inferrences in interpreting a text, but our inferrences ought to be supported by the text. I think I have shown that my inferences can be supported by the particular texts being discussed. Where have you shown that your inferences can be supported by the particular texts being discussed?

4. Skandelon

It's pretty clear that I'm not going to move you any on this subject, but here is one more effort. Quote from Adam Clarke's commentaries:

You may disagree with this as well and we may just need to agree to disagree on this passage and move on.

I would like to hear you interaction with my post earlier on this page where I deal with the analogy of you starting an African American church in the midst of extreme racism. I really thought that gave a good perspective for these issues.

5. Skandelon

In my Greek classes I do recall comments made by my instructors concerning the inconsistancies of some of the biblical authors in their use of greek grammar. Peter was usually the guilty one, but nevertheless, I don't believe the scripture ever claims infalliablity in terms of grammatical usage. Plus, I don't know that this is so much of a grammatical issue as it is speculation based upon what we believe Paul's intent was. If there were other passages where Paul had expounded upon his views of two callings, the gospel and the secret irresistable calling, then maybe I understand making that leap. But its never even mentioned, its only implied in a couple of verse that can be seen in more than one perspective.

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

But wouldn't you expect that if I were starting an African American text and writing letters to them, there would be clues in the text that I was refering to racial issues? I am waiting to be shown clues from the text....

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, some used bad grammar, but that would be more true of the formally uneducated than of Paul, who had lots of formal education. But even when bad grammar is used, can't we trust that through the overseeing work of the Holy Spirit that the intended meaning is adequately communicated to us--that the bad grammar doesn't communicate something different than the author intended?

I read Adam Clarke. Obviously I disagree with him on this. I can pull out equally esteemed commentators that would disagree with him, too. But the game is not won or lost in the commentaries, but in the text. What was the intended meaning as communicated to us through the words, grammar, context, etc.? Can you back up your assertions from the text? And quite frankly, I don't see you doing that at all with either of these passages. I've laid my cards from the text on the table. Where are yours?

8. Skandelon

Not necessarily. There could be, but if you understand the context from the entire NT and Paul's dealings with these issue that should be enough.

However, there are very clear clues to these racial issues in the very text we are dealing with in Thess.
    I highlighted some just from this one I picked out:

See how he refers to their countrymen and contrasts that to Judeans. There are definately racial issues here.

9. Skandelon

Russell, you seem like a reasonable person. We have been dealing with what most see as traditionally Calvinistic proof texts here. In short, we are dealing with texts that I admit are more difficult for my position.

We could just as easily turn the tables and deal with difficult texts for Calvinists (truly objective Calvinists are willing to admit they exist). And you would have to apply some "explaination" that might touch on the grammatical structure or you might have to contextually point toward the author's intent to explain it within your system. Several specific verses come to mind but I don't want to divert our attention just yet.

As a former Calvinist myself I recognize the Calvinistic implications that can been drawn from these texts. But I can also just as clearly see an Arminian's perspective and the implications that can be drawn from their traditional proof texts. We must weigh those and objectively, with prayer, decide which interpretation carries the most weight. I will admit that for many years I sided with Calvinism because of my investment into its system. My family, friends, church and life were geared around my doctrinal stance. Its not easy to question that. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Still today I don't claim to be an Arminian or a Calvinist because I recognize my uncertainies and consider myself a student of the Word who is ever changing as I grow in my understanding.

My cards are on the table, but please don't fail to see them because you've got your cards covering your eyes.

10. russell55

russell55 New Member

I will admit they exist, but I think they are quite a bit fewer and less difficult to get around than the ones that teach God's election as a cause of faith and the effectual call.

Perhaps you would like to show me your proof texts that argue against an effectual call or election being the cause of faith.

11. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, but Paul's point here seems to be their similarity, not their difference. Primarily Gentile and primarily Jewish churches have alike suffered persecution, both at the hands of unbelieving Jews.

12. Skandelon

And your point is?

Remember I am showing why Paul might be thanking God for their being chosen. Paul is showing how Gentiles are like the Jews in that they have been chosen to recieve the truth and entrance into the covenant. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation FIRST TO THE JEW AND THEN THE GENTILES.

13. Skandelon

Well, of course you do. That's why you are a Calvinist. What ever perspective you are defending will seem to have the strongest arguments in your own mind. I admit that. Being one who has been on both sides of this argument I know how one views their own position. Its when take off your own beliefs and put on someone elses that you will see the others perspective. Try to debate in favor of Arminianism for once, just as an exercise. Pretend that God visited you and told you Arminianism was right and you had to read the scripture trying to understand it within that perspective. It is an eye openning experience, even for those who don't change their views. It helps you to grow stonger and it makes you a little less dogmatic about issues that you may be a bit too emphatic on.

That's like asking someone to show you the verses that argue against the use of cell phones. They don't exist. Why? Because cell phones didn't exist. In the same way we don't believe the "effectual call" exists so how could we find verses that speak against it? Its trying to prove a negative.

As far as election being the cause of faith. I don't know if I have a problem with that. It depends upon how you define election. I could list verses that speak about the gospel message being the cause of faith, but election precedes that so that would do nothing. The question would be what has God elected to happen?

Has He (1) chosen (elected) certain individuals to be irresistably called, hear the gospel, and then believe unto salvation. OR has He (2) chosen (elected) groups of people (who yes are made up of individuals) to receive the message of the cross granting them the opportunity to enter a covenant through faith with God, "first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles."

Either way, you could say election is the cause of faith. (I do know what you mean and I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just pointing out a different perspective of election as it relates to our faith.)

14. humbleherc

humbleherc Guest

Luke 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not,that the spirits are subject unto you;but rather rejoice,because your names are written in heaven.The same hand that wrote the book of life choose and made his own people.Now what people That Gods has intended to perform a duty will resist his will.None can.This show us with Jonna is that a true called preacher is one that has to be sure he's doing something for God and doing his will for sure.This going to school to preach is Bull.Old Baals prophets are taught error every day.For every called man of God Old Baal calls 430.Some people will send men and they will incompass land and sea to be made proselyt and when they are made they will be two more fold a child of hell when they are made then before they began.Man can't become A true servant by Mans standard of Theology.Go to looking very carefully at what the Educated theologians teach.Most of them major in tithes and tithes was of the law.Futhermore Christ is the Mediator of the New Testament not the Old Testament.But every one of these Educated Baal Prophets will love the tithe.Christ called them hirelings.Christ didn't even need any of Judas's Money he commanded a fish to pay his tribute.So much for mans filthy lucre.Do i believe in givng to help people Yes,but in my church we call it contribution.We give to the church clerk for the neccessity at hand.And thats not every Saturday we do this only in a necessity.All our church business is moved out of the way come sunday Worship service.Their are so many Men these days are called to preach yea,but who called them perhaps the George Washington dollar.I relize a man must live of the Gospel in truth and love and all things that are at hand ,but not out of it.I hear all the time the so called ,called preacher preaching malachi 3:8 to justify their collection of the money tithe.Hello out there we are not living in the Old testament folks.We are living in a time called grace.This time is a time that God draws out himself his elect Jews and gentiles and anybody that is written in his book to Christ.The ones he gave Christ before the foundation 's of the world He knows them that belong to him and giveth them eternal life.Most Children of Grace are wise enough to see through Baals prophets and the love of Money.Is your pastor in this great error for if he is keep looking you haven't found the true Branch of Gods church.It is that well hid.Yes it is and few be there that find it.Thank God.

The key words here are "I think." You can only presume based upon you doctrinal bias. Don't get upset with me on that, I have to presume as well. My point is we can't know simply based upon these references, so they shouldn't be used as conclusive support. That is all I'm saying.

So says you. Again you are speculating. I suggest that Paul wouldn't have pointed out his being "set apart from birth" and he unique conversion experience if it were "normal." I don't mean normal as in the circumstances have to be exact, but normal in the since that God sovereignly intervened in Paul's life in a supernatural way. This, once again, cannot be used as conclusive evidence that God can or would deal with everyman in the same manner.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

15. Skandelon

:confused:

I'm not quite sure what you just said here. It may be better for you to start a new thread if you want to talk about the tithe. Honestly, I'm not sure how that relates to our discussion here. Sorry, maybe I just missed it. [​IMG]

16. humbleherc

humbleherc Guest

I guess even my own writings are hid from the wise and prudent.so be it.

:confused:

I'm not quite sure what you just said here. It may be better for you to start a new thread if you want to talk about the tithe. Honestly, I'm not sure how that relates to our discussion here. Sorry, maybe I just missed it. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]

17. Skandelon

Russell55, where are you?

18. Skandelon

I would still like to discuss these common errors of Calvinism if someone is willing: