1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Does Faith Come From II

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Revmitchell, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iconclast said:

Actually I would appreciate it if you would not do that very thing.

Again twisting my words. I never argued that. I expect you to go back and actually read my words and represent them correctly.

You are conflating believe and regeneration. I do not.

I did make it clear from the start. God must pursue us. (I John 4:19) We see an example of that with Adam and Eve in the garden after they fell. Today we are pursued with the gospel. Where does faith come from? Scripture is clear in Romans 10:17, Romans 1:16, and James 1:18) If He did not pursue us we would not come to Him but the gospel is both the method of pursual and the obtaining faith. I did not say it God di via Paul in His book to the church in Rome. You may disagree with that but your issue is not with me it is with those passages.

What it does not need is an extra measure of supernatural grace to first regenerate us so we can believe. And contrary to your view that, my friend, is the crux of the matter in our disagreement.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed wrote this to me in the last thread same subject.
    Here is the problem regeneration is Salvation with out which one is not saved..This below is it definition.
    REGENERA'TION, n.
    1. Reproduction; the act of producing anew.
    2. In theology, new birth by the grace of God; that change by which the will and natural enmity of man to God and his law are subdued, and a principle of supreme love to God and his law, or holy affections, are implanted in the heart.
    He saved us by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit. Titus 3.

Being born again is regeneration and being saved. You cannot be born again with out being saved.

You can't have it two ways. Faith whether you know it or not is one of the things we are saved by and is a requirement for being born anew. So when you say you are saved first so you can have faith means you are saved with out faith. That faith comes later is false it can't be anything less.
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did you ask me if Scripture was sufficient enough to save?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what I asked you.

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok technically you said belief. But you are splitting hairs.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, its not splitting hairs, two completely different things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine, why did you ask whether Scripture was sufficient to believe? Do you agree that all who believe will be saved? Because if you do, then they aren't two completely different things.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its like you are looking for a strawman.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, asking a legitimate question. Your favorite goto thing is "oh that is looking for a strawman" when it's not the case. How about you just engage in honest debate or just not post at all?

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you don't know what you're talking about, and, your reading comprehension is awful:

16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed on Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. Gal 2

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned unto him for righteousness.
    7 Know therefore that they that are of faith, the same are sons of Abraham. Gal 3

22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ unto all them that believe; for there is no distinction; Ro 3

13 But having the same spirit of faith, according to that which is written, I believed, and therefore did I speak; we also believe, and therefore also we speak; 2 Cor 4

Davidtaylorjr is right, you are indeed splitting hairs.

[add]

The word 'faith' is not to be found in the gospel of John, but John certainly uses the word 'believe' in it. :D

#11 kyredneck, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell,

How does God pursue us.?

How exactly...a pastor preaches the gospel, then what happens?
    What makes it work? How is it the method? how is it obtaining of faith? If 1000 people hear the gospel, what determines who believes it, and who does not?

This is what I commented on the first time. This seems to be a denial of John 3
    Unless the unseen work of the Holy Spirit takes place, salvation does not happen.

Yes..it sure is. I think this is a denial of john 3

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this are the kind of statement that shuts down reasonable discussion. Just because someone disagrees with your view does not mean a denial of scripture. Its childish and not helpful. I do not deny scripture I deny your flawed interpretation of scripture.

#13 Revmitchell, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MB,

You are having difficulty understanding how all the different components of the Order of Salvation function. You also have a different view of the state of sinful man than Calvinists. I am traveling this week, visiting friends and family in New Jersey, so I do not have my laptop. There is only so much I can type on my phone. For that reason, please read with the late R.C. Sproul says on regeneration. I am in agreement with it. Here is the link: Ligonier Ministries

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What shuts down discussion is you not answering post 143 on the other thread,line by line.
    You make vague statements, you get questioned, and retreat claiming you answered when you did not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, my posts are available for all to see. I even started a thread just to answer your post. Of course this is just obfuscation over your poor behavior. The fact that you and a few others do not know enough to be ashamed of your tactics says more than I ever could. There are at least three other reformed members of this board I have had discussions with and this garbage never happens. It is isolated to just a few, you being one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your link Sproul proclaims
    Does this separation of regeneration from faith have something to do with these Presbyterians baptizing unconverted babies?
    I think Iconoclast has a better take on this than your Presbyterian authority. Icon recently explained to us that regeneration does not come sequentially before faith: It's not regeneration, then faith; they are simultaneous:

#17 Jerome, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was pointed out that the term translated "regeneration" occurs twice.

". . . And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. . . ." -- Matthew 19:28. Here it seems to be talking about the resurrection.

". . . Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; . . ." -- Titus 3:5. Here it is understood, I think, to refer to our being born again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand it I just reject it as non biblical. I will never accept it, because it simply isn't true to scripture. If you say men have to be regenerated before they can believe then you are saying you are saved before Salvation. Regeneration is being saved. If man does not have faith and god's grace he is lost
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you even read the link? Ligonier Ministries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.