1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Does God Lead?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Jun 27, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

After reading another post, where a brother said that he chose Andersonville because he didn't want to violate a biblical principle to get in debt to go to an accredited school, the question came to mind, Does God lead a person to the doors of an unaccredited school? I find this intriguing.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the man should have checked with you to see where God was leading him :laugh:

Does not the Spirit lead each of us as individuals?

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I believe you may have misunderstood my question.

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can lead a person who is truly intent on following Him anywhere He wants. So the answer to your question is, in some cases, yes.

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

In all fairness a second question should follow. Does God lead a man to an ultr-liberal accredited school(Harvard,Yale, Princeton)?

I understand you are asking a sincere question and not asking a sarcastic question.

In many of these accredited colleges and seminaries there are men and women who are agnostics and athiests teching classes. Think I'm lying or making a big deal out of nothing just check out what the folks who are a part of the Jesus seminar do for a living and where they do it.

Now most of these unaccredited less then wonderful schools do train people to become pastors ,evangelists,and missionaries. They think of thier degrees as more in terms of functionality then academic terms. They would probably be better accepted if they left out the PhD's and ThD's.They generally are well trained in Bible although some don't teach languages(they teach how to use language tools )they do teach the hands on how to minister in many capacities. Most of these less then wonderful schools have hands on work with very experienced pastors as mentors, so the students come out of school fairly well equipped.:godisgood:

#5 Plain Old Bill, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  6. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

Does God lead....?

Absolutely! I am one person who does not believe that accreditation is an indication that God approves of a school. Yes, it is true that there are hucksters who use the religious exemption as a means to bypass the requirements of attaining a solid education but I believe that a school's standards can be high without applying for or achieving accreditation. Find out if what the school is teaching is Biblically sound. How long they have existed. Have there been problems with the school. All these things need to be weighed against the cost and indoctrination problems that come with some of these big name schools. And, in agreement with some others, there are some fine universities that used to truly teach the Word of God and turned out wonderful people to minister God's Word. Now we are inundated with the devil's students who have perverted the Word of God and have led untold numbers of people into confusion and downright denial of the truth of God's Word. Which would you rather have; an accredited indoctrination camp or an unaccredited school where God is pleased with what is being taught. I know that there may be many exceptions to this but I don't think God wants his people to spend $60,000.00 on a degree. And yes, there are other accredited schools like UNISA or UNIZUL that have accredited degrees for much less but the proof is still in the pudding. :jesus:

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If it is a good school, yes. There are plenty of good unaccredited schools. However, as you know, many of these unaccredited distance learning (only) schools are nothing but degree mills. I don't believe God leads people to degree mills. The people who "earn" (using the term lightly) degrees from these "schools" are either ignorant of how higher education works and academic standards (these folks are being taken advantage of by these degree mills, they are victims) or they are just lazy people who want a degree but don't want to do the work.

Having said that, while I don't endorse Andersonville, I don't consider it to be a degree mill.

#7 Martin, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why is this intriguing? Since when did accreditation become the standard for God's will in education? There are many schools that are absolutely not God's will for people to attend, but accreditation has nothign to do with it. It has to do with bad doctrine and bad teaching.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Would the question be better framed this way: Would God lead a person to the doors of an school that is not reputable?

You could replace "reputable" with "sound" or "legitimate" or...well, you get the idea.

Remember that the Holy Spirit is not a crystal ball or a mystical force that just happens to be at our whim.