1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where in the Bible is youth ministry?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So who leads the worship?

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Take care of them. hahaha...

I actually think we would have some sort of nursery if there was room.

3. ReformedBaptist

Whoever can play the piano. If you really care to know, the piano sits in the back where someone plays it, and some flutes and violins also, someone stands in the pulpit to tell folks where to turn in the hymnal or psalter, and we sing. Pretty simple.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let's say you have room, Where's the Scripture for nursery?

5. ReformedBaptist

No clue. I am not the pastor of the church TC. If they did it, they would do it without biblical support.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Don't you see all this in the light of what Paul did in Asia Minor, when he used the Hall of Tyrannus for two years.

Discipling via the handmaid of teaching is commanded, but the HOWs are left up to us.

That is what I see in youth ministry and nursery and so on.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

To me this is one of those issues that some people get worked up over for absolutely no reason.

As Pastor Larry said, youth ministry can be done the right way and in a way that glorifies God and honors His Word. That should be the focus of any ministry of the church.

There are enough problems in ministry already there is no need to go looking for more, IMO.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm on board with this one. :thumbs:

9. ReformedBaptist

Your right about folks getting worked up. But I suppose if you question a long-held tradition, or someone has a commitment to something your questioning, they can get worked up about it.

To me it was just a question.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

It seems that this would be the answer to many church issues that come up using your reasoning.

It is not wrong to use a little freedom and creativity when doing ministry.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Where is youth ministry in the Bible? How about when Jesus cast the demons out of the youth that would throw himself in the fire, or when Jesus raised the Synagogue Ruler's maiden daughter from the dead? Wouldn't those be examples of youth ministry (ministering to youth)?

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was soooo unregulative for those elders at the temple to minister to young Jesus absent direct parental supervision. Mary and Joseph themselves obviously had a deficient commitment to family-integrated worship, Amen, since they let Him out of their sight and authority for three whole days. They should read their Bible.

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

1) From what I have seen of teen ministry -- sometimes you ARE their parents. Many parents of kids involved in our ministries couldn't care where their kids were on Monday nights when we held 2 hour game-Bible study meetings at 13 locations for them in Memphis. And RB -- we got to reach them as early as possible!! Do you know how the statistices decline for their chances of salvation as they age?? And then, I praise God I was saved as a teen!! I'm now the opposite age of my rebirth. I was 16 then and 61 now!! God has been so good to me!! Without the guidance of the Spirit all that time, I tremble to think where I would be today.

Now I want to say that you have to be called and quickened to this ministry. Hormones are racing at that age and it takes a pretty compelling distraction to focus them on spiritual things! The church I go to now has a whole separate facility (called "Elevation")/gym/activity center/pastor for them but the kids here LOVE it!!! I believe my 2 nephews were saved through that ministry. One's parents probably converted through the "connection" as well.

There's a really powerful adjunct to this ministry as well and I have seen it twice now --- training a smaller group of "advanced" teens to actually minister to their peers. At one church, they could form their own teen group, find an apartment meeting location, and use our bus drivers (me) to pick up their teens Monday nights. Presently one of my nephews is involved at the "leadership" level and in the band on Sunday. For teens, BELONGING to a group and IDENTITY are HUGE!

skypair

14. Gayla

Gayla New Member

1 Cor 15:51
    Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
    :laugh:

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

But using a piano, flute, and violin "violates the regulative principle" just as much as youth ministry. :saint: :BangHead:

I get worked up over exactly 27.5 things in life. Threads in the BaptistBoard are not one of those 27.5 things. :thumbs:

Regarding your statement...replace the word "commitment" with "calling" and you begin to understand why some of us defend youth ministry. Sorry to be bold here, but I hold two views that sometimes seem to conflict. Priesthood of the believer, baby. You don't want youth ministry in your church, then don't have it. However...my calling is not unbiblical, nor is how I am living out that calling.

17. ReformedBaptist

Hahaha! Finally some lightheatedness!

18. ReformedBaptist

So you have a dog in this fight. I don't.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Depends......do you play the flute, violin, or piano? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]