1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Is Atheism When Bad Things Happen?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"Notice something interesting about the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings? Atheists are nowhere to be found. Every time there is a public gathering there is talk of God and divine mercy and spiritual healing. Even secular people like the poet Nikki Giovanni use language that is heavily drenched with religious symbolism and meaning.
    The atheist writer Richard Dawkins has observed that according to the findings of modern science, the universe has all the properties of a system that is utterly devoid of meaning. The main characteristic of the universe is pitiless indifference. Dawkins further argues that we human beings are simply agglomerations of molecules, assembled into functional units over millennia of natural selection, and as for the soul--well, that's an illusion!
    To no one's surprise, Dawkins has not been invited to speak to the grieving Virginia Tech community. What this tells me is that if it's difficult to know where God is when bad things happen, it is even more difficult for atheism to deal with the problem of evil. The reason is that in a purely materialist universe, immaterial things like good and evil and souls simply do not exist. For scientific atheists like Dawkins, Cho's shooting of all those people can be understood in this way--molecules acting upon molecules.
    If this is the best that modern science has to offer us, I think we need something more than modern science."

http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/18/where-is-atheism-when-bad-things-happen/

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have at times in the past argued with atheists, and when I ask them how come so many of them are actually "moralists" when they do not have a God to account to, a lot of them just plain shut up.

3. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

Atheist are not invited simply because they have no hope for humanity whatsoever.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thoughts in that blog.

One time several years ago I got into a discussion with a man who claimed to be an atheist. He was a nice guy but I decided that I needed to "get tough", so I did. In a few minutes he said he did not wish to talk about it anymore because what I was saying was too disturbing. He said he just did not know how to handle what I was saying. What was I saying? Without God there is no meaning, purpose, or value to any life. When cornered with that he almost cracked. I am not saying that such an approach should be taken everytime you meet a person who claims to be an atheist. However sometimes I have found that atheists have not thought through the implications of their position.

5. Servent

Servent Member

Q. Where is atheism when bad things happen?

A. There are no atheist in a foxhole. There looking for God.