1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where Is Free Will?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This part of the forum would be so quiet lol!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah well he can slip back over the Dog House forum where they gather for the purpose of bashing those who are not calvies on the Baptist Board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll have to show me where I've stated this, implied this, or even hinted at it.

I don't. You're the one that thinks himself special.

I'm not treating you as an enlightened person. It was sarcasm. It's no wonder you have trouble interpreting scripture, you can't even interpret what's written on a discussion forum.

I would encourage you to stop with the condescension, it's unbecoming of a Christian. So is false modesty.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define "free will." Calvin believed in "free will.,

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be consistent and honest with your beliefs. Why are "the doctrines of grace hated"? The honest answer a Calvinist would give is because all who reject the doctrines do so because God has not awakened us to them. We are all lost.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He was ignoring his behavior as the source and cause of the contention and playing a martyr to deflect from it.

7. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have asked numerous times about us explaining Ezekiel 36, so I will do it. Yes, this was written to Israel. I agree with that. But that does not mean it is not written for us, either. If we take that approach, we'd have to divorce ourselves from pretty much the whole OT. We wouldn't violate the Law when we committed adultery, idolatry, lied, stole, took His name in vain, &c., seeing that was given to the OT Jews. Then we'd have to throw out divorce because that, too, was given to the Jews.

Look at vs 26...Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. By using your thinking, if this is applied solely to the OT Jews, then He doesn't give us a new heart and spirit. We are saved, but we don't have this done to us. By using your thinking, most of the NT doesn't apply to the Jews, either, seeing it was written to the NT church. All scripture is profitable for correction, doctrine, &c. This includes the whole canon of scripture, from Genesis 1:1------->Revelation 22:21.

2 Peter 3:9 is written to believers, and it is applied to believers, both Jew and Gentile alike. There is 'us-ward'(KJV) 'toward you'(NASB), which is applied to believers. Look at this passage...

“What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying? If it turns out that he finds it, truly I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.[Matthew 18:12-14] God is not willing that any of His sheep die lost. He was so not willing, He sent His only begotten Son to die in their place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The divine knowledge of good and evil is not a sin (Genesis 3:22). But is what is inherited from Adam and Eve and is the cause of mankind's sinful nature.

• Like Like x 1
  9. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who condemned us?

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a very simple explanation for that - we do not believe that men actually have the will or desire to come to God, without God being the cause of it. We readily attest to the fact that God has to draw men before they can be saved. We differ in the scope of His drawing. We believe that all men are drawn and given an opportunity to be saved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free-Will - A Slave

Charles Spurgeon's view of free-will:

”It has already been proved beyond all controversy that free-will is nonsense. Freedom cannot belong to will any more than ponderability can belong to electricity. They are altogether different things. Free agency we may believe in, but free-will is simply ridiculous.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The will is driven by desire. Ppl chose what is most pleasing. If something is driven by something else, it’s not free, but bound to that which drives it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free will vs. free agency

You should use the Greek to show us the difference.
    I know the Gr uses free will

14. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have free will , either to desire evil or good
    It is necessary to understand the wanting or lost condition in order to seek God,
    Many know God is missing from their lives but do not know Him, thus soul winning

15. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I do not endorse free will or free agency and I have no intention of showing anyone the Greek difference. Maybe you and Spurgeon can discuss this issue if you see him. :Sneaky

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Every decision is driven by "something else" and by definition is not free.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know, free agency seems to include the ability to act on choices, free will does not

We do not have the ability to help ourselves but we can wish

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:34.

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I often try to avoid using the term "free will" when describing the attributes of man in a soteriological debate because the Determinists will typically play on semantics and try to build the strawman that the non-Determinists believe that man has the freedom and uninfluenced will to save himself. Therefore, I believe human volition is a better term.

"Free Agency" is an invented phrase to defend the philosophical construct of "Compatibilism" which sets out to establish a compromise between free will/human volition and Determinism. The Determinist having faced the unavoidable logically true conclusion that strict Determinism leads directly into Theological Fatalism resorts to using the term "free agency" while trying to theorize that free will can be both true and not true at the same time - which of course has zero possibility of being logically true.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Agnostic Philosophy professor also agreed with you two's Determinist belief as well as do Atheist who argue that if there is an all powerful God then He determined everything including evil, therefore according to the Atheist if there was a God He would be evil and/or could not be Only Good. Of course I was not in that camp and able to logically argue against that belief quite effectively not being a Determinist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.