1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where is "worship" one of the purposes of the assembly?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Jul 7, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did, and I don't see anything where it is stated it is to be done primarily at home and in private. Scripture for THAT?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why do you castigate me Bbob? What have I done to you?
    You have made one post in this entire thread, and in that post have simply quoted three verses, one of which has nothing to do with the thread. It is entirely out of context. We are not part of the nation of Israel, are we?
    I will throw your question back at you: Why don't you do some study Bro. Bob?

You quoted 3 verses; I gave a rather lengthy post, quoting plenty of Scripture, and explaining what I did--quite a bit more than the pittance that you offered.

Now you offer Hebrews 10:1--again without explanation, and entirely out of context. Is this typical with you?

Yes Jesus taught in a synagogue. So what?
    The early believers also met in the catacombs--cemetaries. Does that mean we should? What is your point?

So some study Bob, and bring something intelligent to the conversation--something about the subject of worship.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The example set by Jesus--Mark 1:35
    The statement that our bodies are now the Temple; the place of worship, not a building. (1Cor.6:19,20)
    The command of Jesus to worship in private (Mat.6:6,7)

4. standingfirminChrist

Jesus taught private prayer. But the Word of God also teaches a public prayer as well.

James 5:14-15 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

While prayer is one form of worship, it is not the only form of worship in the Word of God.

The psalmist wrote:
    Psalms 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.

and:
    Psalms 47:1 <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm for the sons of Korah.>> O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Were these forms of worship? I would think so! Were they private and at home? It doesn't appear they were.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I gave you scripture, you always say "out of context". Well, I don't believe you. Jesus taught in the synagogues and we follow His example. Take it or leave it. Your attack on me was unmerited.

You may have posted a few scriptures, but they do not say everything that happens in the church. I see you completely overlook my scripture that I gave, but thats ok. As I said, go study before jumping.

I made the 13th post of the whole post, you condemn it in the 15th.

You say the one scripture is completely out of context, when scripture says the law was a shadow of things to come. So don't tell me its out of context, I don't believe you.

BBob,

#25 Brother Bob, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. You are right, prayer is not the only type of worship. However our private devotions before God ought to include much more than prayer.

2. I never said there was NO worship in a church; I said it was not the primary place of worship.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It sure is a good place to start DHK..........

Have it your way, the rest of us will just have to be wrong I guess.

BBob,

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus taught in the synagogues. What synagogues do you teach in? Are you following his example? No. History tells us that there were no buildings set apart for "churches" until about 250 years after the death of the apostles. History proves you wrong. They met in the synagogues until they were kicked out. Then they met in people's homes, open fields, cemetaries, or wherever they could find a place. They were a persecuted people, as many Christians are to this day. The Christians of America, for the most part are soft-bellied, spineless, over-fed, babied bunch of believers that would cry foul if any type of persecution ever hit them. They don't know what it means to be persecuted for their faith.
    They don't have to say what happens in the church. It is a fact that our primary place of worship is at home or within ourselves.
    --Pray without ceasing.
    --Give thanks always.
    --Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice.
    --Meditate (in the Word) day and night.

It doesn't say just to do these things in a church building. What kind of Christianity do you have. I thank God that my Christianity is 24/7 and not confined to four walls of a church building. I feel sorry for you.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, it did start in the synagogues according to this post of yours and was called the House of the Lord. It may shock you, but we still call our church the Lord's house. I had you youths break in and have sex in the house. You think that did not disturb me terrible, being I consider it the Lord's house. Maybe not you, but it sure bothered me.

Yes, they met in houses, until they could get strong enough to build church buildings, but bye and bye they built a place to worship the Lord and most, I dare say, called it the Lord's house as they did in the OT.

You are the one who always uses King David, as an example when it comes to sinning, but now you telling me I am wrong for using the "house of the Lord". Sorry DHK, I think you are way off the mark.

We are addressing the OP, not what takes place at home. You take the thread in a complete different direction.

Sorry, if some of my remarks were not too pleasant, it just hit me the wrong way when you called it out of context.

BBob,

#29 Brother Bob, Jul 8, 2008
  10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It appears some are taking DHK's words to diminish corporate worship. To many people are only worshiping at corporate times. Worship needs to be a daily occurrence and not just preached as a corporate Sunday mandate.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Pro 11:14Where no counsel [is], the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors [there is] safety.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This still doesn't answer the claim it is to be done primarily at home or in private.

John 4 tells us how it is to be done, and it does not state what you claim...

24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth."

13. standingfirminChrist

Amen! Certainly one can worship the Lord at home or in Church. God desires communication from His Sheep. He desires them to fellowship with Him on a daily basis; seeking His will and guidance for their lives.

God inhabits the praises of His people where'er they be.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You must either have a very narrow definition of worship or a very poor relationship with Jesus Christ.

Worship: Declaring the worrth of. Adoration.
    Remember the greater part of our "adoration of God" is not in church.
    The greater part of our service in church is taken up with a sermon--the teaching and preaching of God's Word, and so it should be.

Now to Scripture:

Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalms 1:1-2 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

The above is worship. It is not confined to the four walls of a church. It is to be done always, 24/7. Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost (1Cor.6:19,20), the primary place of worship. God dwells in them, not in the Temple of the OT, and not in a building built by man. He dwells in the believer who is to worship God in Spirit. Tell me: Are you alone a greater percentage of the day, or are you in a church building a greater part of the day gathered together with believers? Answer that question honestly and you will answer your own question.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your ad hominems are uncalled for...and has been reported. It's about time a BB administrator or moderator takes a stand against your very un-Christ like attitude.

I know what worship is. I didn't state it is to be done PRIMARILY at home...you did. And YET you supply NO Scripture stating such.
    ...but it is confined to the four walls of our homes ?!?
    I didn't state it has to occur between 4 walls...yet you have done just this by bringing up our homes as the PRIMARY place of worship, which ironically have four walls.

#35 webdog, Jul 8, 2008
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Give thanks to the Lord always
    I am not always in church.
    I am not always at home.
    I am not always in the confines of any four walls.
    Worship comes from the temple of my body. The primary "place" of worship is not from a church building which you continue to assert. It is from wherever I am. Jesus taught about prayer to meet with my Father in my own closet (bedroom) and pray to my Father in secret. He said nothing about a church building.

Need I remind you again, church buildings never came into existence until 250 years after the death of the apostles. How say you that a church is the primary place of worship? I don't know where you are coming from.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Utter dishonesty.

I have continually called you out on YOUR assertation it is PRIMARILY done in the home. I believe worship is to happen continuously, at home, at church, at work...wherever. YOU on the other hand have continually argued for a specific place, privately or at home. Scripture does NOT state it is to be done "primarily" in private or in the home. Worship is to be done everywhere and anywhere.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No it isn't. Near the beginning of the thread this is your entire post:
    To most, that indicates that one should worship in a church.
    After that post, I posted that our primary place of worship is in the home, as Christ directed it to be. And you have been on my case ever since. Please don't be dishonest.

19. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I agree.

Concerning the phrase "God inhabits the praises of His people", I have heard that all of my Christian life. In preparing a lesson on praising God, I looked for that phrase in scripture and could not find it. Is that a scripture or jsut a true phrase that has been around a long time?

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The OP:
    RE: Where is "worship" one of the purposes of the assembly?

This was the question and we were providing scripture to show that it is a part of the assembly, or church. Those who run off in all directions are the ones who left the OP, such as homes, etc. That was not the question of the OP.

BBob,