1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where To Continue My Seminary Training?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Taylor Camp, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Taylor Camp

Taylor Camp New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently in my final semester of my MTS at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Rather than completing my M.Div at MBTS, I've decided to pursue another degree at a different institution to diversify my academic credentials. My long-term plans are to pastor a church, but I also want to keep my options open for teaching at the Bible college or seminary level. Pastoral ministry is my primary goal with academia being secondary.

I've been considering one of three different options after graduating with my MTS. The first is to complete my M.Div online through Campbellsville University and potentially follow that up with a D.Min after some ministry experience. The second option is to attend Grand Rapids Theological Seminary for a ThM in New Testament. This program is heavy in New Testament Greek and is most in-line with my research interests. The third option is to attend Evangelical Seminary and earn a ThD in Biblical Theology. All three of these schools are accredited, with the latter two being accredited through ATS.

Thank you for your help!

Taylor

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taylor, welcome to the Baptist Board. Hope you find help here, and please stay around and join in other conversations.

I don't have any advice for you otherwise. Rather than follow the route my pastor hoped I might (follow his footsteps as a pastor/educator in a small Bible College), I ultimately chose to accept the primacy of what I felt was biblical orthopraxy (not the seminary route). Further, I am not familiar with any of the three institutions you mention, beyond having heard of them. Finally, I wish you well in whichever is your choice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Taylor Camp

Taylor Camp New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, I appreciate the warm welcome to the forum!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the forum. Did no one offer you advice?

5. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I think Grand Rapids would be the best choice based on your question. It's also very well respected

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I hit enter before I finished. Biblical languages are a plus for the academy and the pulpit. Further, you always want to attend a seminary that is ATS accredited if you have potential goals of teaching at the Seminary level. The fact that Grand rapids fits your research interest is the icing on the cake.