1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whether its to your health or just snake oil, FDA martials to stop choice

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by windcatcher, Jan 23, 2009.

1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

FROM HERE

While some may or may not agree as to the benefit of suppliments and herbs for health and healing, the FDA is moving rapidly and aggressively to stop the availability of products and choice. While some may have confidence in these moves and the intention behind it, I am not persuaded: For one thing, when I took a college course in Normal and Therapeutic Nutrition as part of nursing and dental health background..... it was already known that the body depends upon certain nutrients being present in the diet for optimum health. The minimum daily requirement and the recommended daily allowance has been adjusted several times since my text book copywrite in the 60's. Recently the recommended vitamin D has been published and increased to that of 2 1/2 times what it used to be. Cellular and molecular biology is being revised as new things are discovered. But the pharmaceutical companies make their profits from drugs made in chemical laboratories, and other alternatives which are naturally grown cannot be patented so it cuts into their profits.

My brother is a pharmacist and tells me that nothing has changed.... many medications are based upon laboratory duplication of chemicals found present in plants which are known to be effective in cures or relieving symptoms. But the bases of many of these 'discovered medicines' are hidden as trade secrets.

When I was a child, I had a chronic lung condition which the doctors called a type of 'walking pneumonia' and said there was no cure..... but, when my mother hurt her leg and my grandmother visited, she collected certain herbs growing wild and made a bitter tea which I drank over a period of a few days until the symptoms went away and never came back...... so I do believe that herbs can heal....or can help the body to heal. No doubt there's also plenty of 'snake oil' being sold.... but which is more important? That folks have a choice regarding their health or that Government controls the choice and availability?

#1 windcatcher, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009