1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which do you have a desire for at times? (Private Poll)

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Joe, Oct 21, 2007.

?
  1. Smoking cigarettes

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Drinking too much alcohol. Or any amount if you view it as sin

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Gambling

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Smoke Pot (Recreational Use only)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Steal

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Same Sex attraction

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Flirt (If married) or view racy pics in magazines or online, including movies.

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  8. Eat too much (Not at one sitting, I mean gluttony)

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Abusing perscription drugs like painkillers

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Spending too much money on non-neccessities causing debt

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I will first say that we both have very different views on issues so this may be hard to understand.

In my experiences I have seen people justify sin because they see it in the life of another Christian. Nearness is likeness and if we are not careful we can justify sin or continue in it if we are in the wrong company.

I just have seen a different side of this. I have had teens in a group I once worked with express to me that they have followed others in things they should not have even though they saw how it affected their lives. It does happen.

If you do not see in your Baptist circles or friends comparing and justifying then Praise God for it. I have seen it sometimes and it can be a hinderance.

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

:laugh: Oh thats good SFC, I almost missed it.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, I'm tempted by gossip.

BTW....ya'll PM me what sins you are tempted with, so I can.....er.....pray for yas!

:D (just kidding)

4. Joe

Joe New Member

You have only posted to me three times, and all have been similar. So yes, that makes it harder for me to understand you. I already called you on it, and you replied that you don't keep track of who you speak with, and I shouldn't take it personal. Actually, I believe the last post to me you agreed with me, but still, here you are. Back again in full force with accusations and demands. I hope your reasoning that "we have very different views on issues" is not an excuse for you to continue on. We may have more in common that what you think.
    Okay but your hostile posts were speaking in the first person. They contain the word "I many times. They were not referring to people, but to you.

I asked you to clarify what YOU meant by your attacks, but I still have no answer.

Yes, it does happen, especially with teenagers. Not sure of the correlation since this is a private poll for Christian Adults.

It probably happens from time to time, maybe I am not that focused on it. If you find it happens a lot with your friends, you may want to think about why you are drawn to those types of people. We ought to have many different types of people as friends.

#24 Joe, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Joe

Joe New Member

Well, I heard you have the hots for a few men around here :D

#25 Joe, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  6. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I am not trying to attack you or anyone I just have a different opinion and I do not feel that you are attacking me because of the opinion that you hold. I could say your post was hostile if I thought it was personal against me but I do not take it that way.

Please show me where I am accusing you or demanding anything other than giving an opinion. I always am so astounded how my opinion turns into a personal attack or accusation but when your tone is harsh or opinionated I am the one that is being hostile and you have never once said a hostile or unkind word to me.

Yes we disagree. You put your opinions here freely and I do the same. To categorize me as hostile for doing so is your choice. I just see it as we disagree. I have agreed with you in other forums and especially what you said about alcohol some of which I did not know. Two people that have different points of view can have a healthy discussion in this arena I have questioned others on more than one occasion and I do not get the response you seem to give me here?

My computer had a virus now it is working so this is a bit late.

7. standingfirminChrist

how did i do the same thing to another poster, Joe? I just said we cannot expech someone to lie and say they are tempted by any of the sins on that list.

And then I said I honestly am one who is not tempted by any on that list myself.

How is that attacking someone?

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Looking over the list, I too, as SFIC, am not tempted to do any of those things on that list. Therefore, I choose not to vote.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Linda and SFIC, is this to imply if the poll listed different sins you might be willing to vote?

10. standingfirminChrist

LeBuick,

We all are tempted by one sin or another... or many sins. There are many more sins that were not listed in the OP.

We try to live lives pleasing to God, but because the flesh is weak, we do give in to sin from time to time.

Linda and I are not tempted by those particular sins mentioned, but yes, if more had been in that list, we may have been able to vote.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

SFIC you quoted Tentmaker, then asked if he would like people to lie in this baptist poll

Tentmaker is a current or past Preacher/Pastor, not that it matters anyway. But it certainly helps credibility.

Then you went on to say you aren't tempted by any of the sins listed, good and fine. But then you had to rub it in by adding "not in the least little bit"

Bizarre :confused:

Just forget it, I don't care. I suspect many people didn't like the poll anyways.

#31 Joe, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  12. Joe

Joe New Member

Nice post. Thank you for writing back. The first sentence of your first post felt like you were questioning my intent of the poll and ordering me to give you an answer upon why I would do such a poll, and what did I feel the purpose would serve. It was just a poll done on a whim, it's not a business plan.
    It resembled your other posts to me IMO, and when you again reminded me that we feel differently on issues,I got a bit touchy since we have had limited communication. I didn't understand where that came from. We are both Christian, so I would hope we feel similar on most issues. Now you have given examples such as alcohol in which we do share the same views.
    See I knew we had something in common :thumbs:
    Anyways, thanks for the note. I appreciate that.

#32 Joe, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  13. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG]

trust me...THAT Temptation ain't happening.

:saint:

14. standingfirminChrist

Joe,

Why do you think it is bizarre that I am not tempted by any of those sins?

As to tentmaker, I was not attacking him. I am sure that he understood I was not attacking him. I was posing a question to make him and others think.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree that very little if anything on the list appeals to me. I think things might be different if we added things like

Anger
    Backbiting
    Pride
    Selfishness
    Covetousness
    Self-centredness
    etc.

16. standingfirminChrist

I agree, Roger.

While some may fall into those temptations listed, not all are susceptible to them.

As I said previously, there are other sins that are stumbling blocks from time to time. And when the Spirit reveals something in my life to be sin, I stop.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, some more that could suit (not going to tell you why this list is so specific)

Complaining
    Comparing myself to others
    Discontent
    Failure to trust God in the difficult times
    Worry over the weakness of the dollar compared to the euro

18. North Carolina Tentmaker

SFIC, no worries, we are good; I did not read anything as any kind of attack. I did totally miss your point. When you added the . . . not in the least little bit. . . I assumed you were being clever and meant that you were tempted a lot. Sorry I really did miss your point.

Hey we are all tempted in different ways and if nothing on the list is a problem for you then that’s great. Unfortunately that still means you’re tempted in other ways.

As for me there are some items on the list like smoking pot and same sex attraction that I have no problem with at all. Other things I have large problems with. I think there is an encouragement in the knowledge that others are tempted like I am and I take great comfort in Heb 4:15 and I Cor 10:13 when I am tempted.
    When I quit drinking (June 12, 1993) I took comfort in accountability partners and AA but one big step for me came after I had been sober for several years. I was out at a restaurant with a friend and they ordered an alcoholic beverage. (Yes this was a Christian, you total teetotalers will have to forgive us) I was shocked and hurt and told them, “You know I quit drinking.” They replied, “Yea, you did, I didn’t.” You see the truth was that they did not have to; they were never a drunk like I was. Something that was a temptation and a hindrance for me was not for them.

I hope that helps more than it confuses, yet another interesting tidbit into the amazing life of NCT. You see what you get when you log on Monday morning.

19. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

I can see how SFIC and others may not be tempted by any of the sins on this list. I think sometimes we just want to see the human side of some of our fellow posters.

I think we would like to get a feeling from a post like that, that God is getting the glory for your lack of desire and maybe not the feeling that because some here may struggle or are willing to admit that, it allows for a tone that may seem judgemental or so matter of fact. It is not so cut and dry for some and we should pray for and encourage those (me first ) that are willing to admit struggling with sin.

Maybe we should not be so specific which is why the voting is private. But maybe at least admit we do have struggles. It is just hard to believe that there are some who struggle with nothing and have "arrived".

Yes we can obtain a level of holiness that keeps from many of the temptations and sins this world offers but we should never forget who our safeguard and foundation is that led us there. And sometimes that is lacking when people say they do have certain issues.

I am not trying to judge anyone who feels the poll is valid just trying to see if sharing our sin is always good. On a situational basis yes. Scripture teaches us to hold our tounge and trust God. It also teaches that in a multituse of counselors there is safety. I guess our job is discerning when to to what.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Um, excuse me? I never said that, period. Never alluded to it, period.
    You quoted tentmaker, and then directly asked him if he would like you (SFIC) to lie in my Baptist Poll. See post #17.

Before I also call you Slick, though you are far from it, I will end this conversation.

This is a poll in the Fellowship Forum. Just like the alcohol poll was.

If you can't grow up a little, then at least go argue in the debate forums.