1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which is best among the Niv/HCSB/ and Esv versions then?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is why i am not interested on which textual basis was used, as a good translation came come from TR/Bzt/MT/Ct, but more important to me was the team translation philosophy!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my church, senior pastore teaches/preaches off mainly the Niv 2011, but also has used and also recommends the Nasb/Esv/Nlt!

And NONE cut down for using the Kjv, he just finds more can relate to MV more!

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

If anyone gripes about the ESV we will invite them, honorarily, to do Scripture reading on Sunday morning. It's an ice breaker. They're usually nervous and humbled about doing it too. 1 Chronicles 1 being the text on the spot usually makes it somewhat entertaining as well.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think some people areafraid that if they read a version like niv/esv/nasb, all heck would break loose, like fire from heaven!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes the press (and Preface) of particular versions differ with respect to their actual translational method. In other words --what is said and what is really done may not be one and the same. It's better to go passage-by-passage of certain versions.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am rally surprised that your senior pastor uses the 2011 NIV. You have said some rather denigrating remarks about it in multitudes of past posts. Have you told him what you think of it?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand the point or gist of your post. You ask folks --(people that are KJV users?) to read 55 verses of geneology because you find it entertaining? Please elaborate.

8. preacher4truth

I know.

I've never done it but I've witnessed it. It was hilarious. Hey, were you that uptight incapable of humor fellow sitting next to me when it happened? Yeah, yeah, that was you. :smilewinkgrin:

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you the pastor of your church?

10. preacher4truth

Yes I am. I saw this years ago, one preacher playing a prank on another. You had to be there I guess.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One reason that I do not prefer the NIV has to do with what I consider some sloppy translation work. Especially on the work of propitiation.

Throughout the NIV, not once do they translate the Greek work properly. So the true meaning is lost, and wrong doctrinal thinking can be considered!

For instance, one is Romans 3:25
    NASB translation:
    25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed;

This translation shows how in the past God "passed over" the sins previously committed, but the work of "propitiation" in/by His blood is full payment. The Greek word used here is extremely specific as it is used only in the NT and only in relationship to the blood making complete payment of all sins of all humankind. (see 1 John 2 and 1 John 4).

New International Version (NIV):
    25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—
    Here the Greek word is literally mistranslated from propitiation (the proper word) to reconciliation (atonement) a completely different Greek word. It ASSUMES the use of the "mercy seat" (atonement cover) as the appropriate "thought" the writer is making.

As such the translation allows for misunderstanding the complete work of redemption and reconciliation.

It is this "thought translation" work that can be very misleading, and unless one is careful, can lead into teaching wrong doctrine - or misapplying Scriptures.

See also Hebrews 2:17, 1 John 2:2, and 1 John 4:10 in which the NIV does not translate the work properly.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

#31 agedman, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And by use of the word "properly" you assume that that specific technical word be used? You are locked in with just one old Latin-based English word to satisfy your strict requirements?

You jump to unwarranted conclusions.
    Literally it should be mercy seat as the NET Bible,Darby,Weymouth and others have it.
    Wow! You are really reaching there aren't you?

The NIV has a footnote at Ro.3:25 :"The Greek for sacrifice of atonement refers to the atonement cover on the ark of the covenant(see Lev.16:15,16)."

Why is the specific word "propitiation" such a thing with you? It could very well be the satisfaction,or the appeasement. For Ro.3:25 the 1996 NLT has :"For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger against us." Doesn't that qualify as a proper rendering?

For 1 John 2:2 the NET Bible has it worded as "atoning sacrifice" as does Goodspeed, Weymouth and NIV. As I recall the Norlie and MLB render it the same way along with many other English versions.The same applies to 1 John 4:10.

For Heb. 2:17 the NET has "make atonement"just as the NIV words it as well as other good translations. The 96 NLT has "a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people."

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From "How To Choose A Translation For All It's Worth"

Regardless of what the official translation policy of various translations purport:"So while formal equivalent translators try to proceed with a method of formal equivalence (word-for-word replacement),their decisions are in fact determined by a philosophy of functional equivalence (change the form whenever necessary to retain the meaning)." (p.28)

Authors Gordon D. Fee and Mark L. Strauss

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to say the NIV, although I have scant experience with HCSB, and only a little experience with the ESV.

We're going through Matthew in church and I bring my NIV Study Bible along whereas the pastor uses the ESV. In the course of this series of sermons a couple of verses has stood out to be to be better translated in NIV than the ESV. For example, last Sunday we looked at the demon possessed boy in Matthew 17. In Matthew 17:15 the ESV says the boy "is an epileptic". The NIV says "he has seizures". HCSB has "seizures", NASB, KJV, have "lunatic".

Now obviously, most people with epilepsy are not demon-possessed so I think the ESV does a disservice in its translation, implying that epilepsy is demon-possession. I think the NIV gets it correct with "seizures" by describing what happens to the boy. The literal translation is "moonstruck" which is why the NASB and KJV use "lunatic", although neither "moonstruck" or "lunatic" describe what happens to the boy when the demon attacks him.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, those on the Nkjv/Nasb translations teams though would be ONLY doing changes as they saw better fit the proper rendering, but the truth is that the Nov would seek those changes primarily in order to make it 'read smoother/better", NOT for strictly better defines and interpretes the bible!

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What versions are you referencing?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume that 'Nov' means the NIV to the rest of us.

There you go slandering again. You are claiming that the NIV translators made changes simply for ease of reading and had no concern for relaying the meaning of the originals. That's an absurd charge. And it's sinful to boot. Again,why if you believe that -- are you in a local church body that uses the NIV? That does not add up.

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about my example, here?:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2049003&postcount=34

Obviously the NASB usage of the word "lunatic" is both NOT more easily readable and NOT a better definition of what the demon possessed boy experienced.

I've run across several of these over the years where the NIV was both a better interpretation and easier to read vs. the NASB.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you have, but also there are passages where the nasb would better reflect what the writers and God meant/intended to say to us though...