1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which is more reliable science or the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Plain Old Bill, Sep 28, 2005.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I could reply by posting that you have neither a very extensive knowledge of the facts pertinent to the interpretation of Genesis nor a very extensive knowledge of evolutionary biology, but I have both; but since that might make me sound both rude and pretentious, I should perhaps instead reply by posting that your interpretation of Genesis makes a mockery of both God and Bible, and your knowledge of evolutionary biology is comparable to that of an intellectually challenged baboon suffering from the late stages of dementia. But I will not reply by posting that either—I will simply post that I disagree with you.

[​IMG]

3. Craigbythesea

Blackbird wrote,

What is truth? Is truth an absurdly naïve and ridiculous interpretation of Genesis? I don’t think so. Has God, in His infinite wisdom, ordained that men learn His truths about His creation through His gift to us of science? I think so.

[​IMG]

4. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

You know what they say about professors and scholars.

"The bigger they are the nicer they are."

A.F.

5. Craigbythesea

Are you Jethro Bodine? :rolleyes:

:D

[​IMG]

6. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Flatterer! [​IMG]

A.F.

7. Craigbythesea

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I could reply by posting that you have neither a very extensive knowledge of the facts pertinent to the interpretation of Genesis nor a very extensive knowledge of evolutionary biology, but I have both; but since that might make me sound both rude and pretentious, I should perhaps instead reply by posting that your interpretation of Genesis makes a mockery of both God and Bible, and your knowledge of evolutionary biology is comparable to that of an intellectually challenged baboon suffering from the late stages of dementia. But I will not reply by posting that either—I will simply post that I disagree with you.

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Tell me----Romans 1:22??? Does this verse teach spiritual evolution for those who profess themselves to be something they're really not so that they can become something they really are???

Just wondering!!!

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

You fine Christian gentlemen may have noticed countrygirl has only 3 posts on the board.Why don't you show a little love and give her some time to find her way around here.A little generosity never hurt anyone.

10. Craigbythesea

Blackbird wrote,

No, it does not.

Rom. 1:22. Professing to be wise, they became fools,
    23. and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. (NASB, 1995)

Rom. 1:22-23 is describing those persons who, while professing to be wise, have in reality become fools and have denied the one and only true God, and have instead worshipped images of men or other creations of God.

Perhaps there is a verse in Romans, however, that you should think about,

Rom. 12:3. For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

[​IMG]

11. Craigbythesea

I believe that we have done that.

[​IMG]

12. Petrel

Petrel New Member

You're absolutely right--I should lull her into a false sense of security first! [​IMG]

All joking aside, welcome to the board, CountrygirllovesJesus05. I sincerely hope you like it here!

13. Craigbythesea

Which is more reliable—science or the Bible?

A few thoughts to ponder,

If the doctrine of once saved always saved is a true doctrine, the Bible was so poorly written that no one was able to understand the doctrine of salvation for 1500 years!

If the doctrine of the pre-trib rapture is a true doctrine, the Bible was so poorly written that no one was able to understand the doctrine of the second coming until 1826!

When you chose your family physician, did you choose him on the basis of his knowledge of the Bible—or on the basis of his knowledge of science?

14. Craigbythesea

Which is more reliable—science or the Bible?

Which is more reliable—a hammer or a saw? Each tool has it own purposes and functions, and a good carpenter is knowledgeable about both and is skillful in the use of both. Anyone who would attempt to build a house without the proper use of both a hammer and a saw is going to run into serious difficulty, but such a person is likely to be so foolish that he is not even aware of the difficulty.

Eph. 2:19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. (KJV)

[​IMG]

15. Plain Old Bill

Petrel you are funny. [​IMG]

16. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

AF thou art not far from the kingdom of heaven.

personally I view participation in these discussions as a way to practice the restrained reply. Sometimes I do better and sometimes I don't quite measure up.

By "restrained reply" I mean not to withold any valid debating points but to maintain my Christian demeanor. It's good to practice that skill on line and probably - some day - it will be necessary to put the lessons learned to use in person. Arguments can be used of the devil to split churches. I don't want to ever be a part of that happening.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I resemble that remark! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, I agree that this can be a major problem.

One of the plus'es for me is that I'm such a slow typer, that I have a little time to cool down before hitting the "add reply" button.

A double AMEN to this point!!!!!

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This building of the "habitation of God through the Spirit" is accomplished through fervent study and application of the infallable, inerrant, inspired Scriptures---IOW---with the blueprint from Above----not from a biology book from below!!!

19. Plain Old Bill

20. Craigbythesea

Blackbird wrote,

Did you miss my analogy? Did you notice that I quoted here from the KJV because of its specific choice of words?

The Bible does not say that the Book of Genesis is “infallable [correctly spelled “infallible”], inerrant, inspired Scriptures.” That is a doctrine of men. Personally, I choose to believe what the Bible says.

[​IMG]