1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminaries Have Programs in "Biblical Medicine"?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RandR, Aug 22, 2005.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Okay. The basic problem is one of accountability. Is the mentally ill person accountable? Is he responsible for becoming mentally ill? Did his behavior contribute to his mental illness or dysfunction?

Please establish the concept of mental illness. I don't find any rational support. Enlighten me.

Almost invariably, mental illness has become an excuse for avoiding the unpleasant in life. The concept has been more of a hindrance to addressing the real problems rather than a help.

2. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Paidagogos,

I will not refer to "biblical counselors" per se since I do not have a problem with this concept.

But I find your rebuttal here very generalized indeed. The theory of "mental illness" is touchy - since (as you say) many things can be lumped into such a category, in some cases, at least partially, to avoid accountability for actions or problems.

An objection here, an objection there - and indeed often valid objections. But that does not automatically validate the opposing position.

Animal studies have well documented behavioral changes associated with structural brain lesions. Case reports from the medical literature describe behavioral and personality changes associated with certain lesions or conditions.

Consider the example of the patient who has suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage who has recovered from a coma state. Despite the fact that many patients will eventually make complete recovery as judged by the neurosurgeons and occupational therapists family members report symptoms of depression, anxiety or axis 2 personality disorders in nearly 100% of patients.

I have set across an exam table from schizophrenics who are off of their medications - this is not a conscious behavior.

Structural anomalies have consequences on behavior - this is not disputable. You consent that a brain tumor can cause this (it usually does not) but yet deny that an inherited defect in synaptic serotonin uptake can cause it as well? Syndromes have been described corresponding to alteration in numerous genes. Defects in genes for cholesterol metabolism lead to cholesterol problems. Do you deny that genes involved in neurochemistry can not be altered? Do you assert that they can be altered but there alterations will not cause observable effects because they deal with the "mind".

Please establish the concept of mental illness. I don't find any rational support. Enlighten me.

I believe you do need a little enlightening. The concept is simple: Behavioral or mental symptoms can arise from structural or functional abnormalities in neural functional. These abnormalities can be learned behaviors, inherited biochemical defects, or sequelae of other illnesses.

How much of this is at play in the average patient with "depression"? It depends. Maybe some - maybe none.

Neither you nor any of your expert witnesses have refuted medical psychology as an entity. You have pointed out flaws, many of which will be conceded. But you have not addresses the facts that behavioral changes have been shown to correspond to structural problems in the brain.

The bottom line...

In many cases the biblical counseling format IS quite appropriate and WILL have better results than simply handing out antidepressants.

But my initial assertion still stands. Anyone who claims that "mental illness" does not or cannot exist either is not familiar with the science behind it or has chosen not to interact with it because of a predetermined stance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eccl. 12:6,7, "Remember Him before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the well is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed; then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it."