1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which songs are appropriate?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Apr 23, 2003.

?
  1. Okay for Sunday Morning Worship

100.0%
  2. Not Okay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't Heard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Which of these songs would be appropriate to sing on Sunday Morning, if any? If you haven't heard of a song, either look up the lyrics, or state that you don't know the song.

I'm interested in seeing where the "line" is in the sand to contemporary / traditional.

2. ScottEmerson

Just so you know my bias in the poll, I would say that the first 7 songs are okay, but I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable singing the last one.

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Oops! I voted not heard on the last one. should have voted "not okay". I don't think very much of the use of secular music in the worship service. I'm also saying that blindly, because I have not heard that song.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I have not heard some of the material mentioned, I don’t think I have any objections to any of the material being used in any worship service as long as:

1.) the songs are done well and are not repetitive.

The constant repetition of praise choruses and first lines of hymns is at epidemic proportions today. I suspect that some of it has to do with a lack of preparation among worship leaders and musicians. (The modern fad of a “praise band” makes it more difficult for musicians to rehearse and plan worship – a few years ago only the pianist and/or organist and the minister of music needed to work together.) And much of it smacks of blatant emotional manipulation. When you worship God in spirit and in truth, no one needs to be manipulated. Christians need to be able to tune in their minds so that they can worship God with their emotions and with their mind. When the Spirit is working among the family of God, the style of music does not matter. But the way music is presented and the manner in which those who lead worship conduct the service often interferes with true worship.

2.) the selection of music is sensitive to the needs of the congregation.

Although the music is not for the congregation (we are[/] trying to worship God after all), the music needs to be meaningful to both the congregation and to the worship of the Lord. If a congregation is not comfortable with newer music, DON’T FORCE IT UPON THEM! Instead, you can use a worship season (like Christmas or Easter) in a church to present a meaningful chorus that is sung each Sunday that presents the theme for a series of sermons and worship events. After a few years of doing this well, the congregation will learn to trust you because of your respect for them. You can then introduce them to more quality contemporary material to blend with more traditional worship music.

3.) the music selections are doctrinally sound

A few of the old hymns and a disturbingly large number of the contemporary praise songs are doctrinally unsound. One of the new one that comes to mind, “Everything That Has Breath (Praise the Lord)”, has this line:

“If we could see how much You’re worth
    Your power, your might, your endless love,
    Then surely we would never cease to praise You.”

It makes it sound as if the primary reason humans do not worship God is that we cannot fully comprehend His fullness. :rolleyes: The problem with humans worshiping God is not lack of comprehension but instead a lack of love, rebellious hearts, and a focus on the things of the world. The children of Israel delivered from Egypt saw the power, might, and love of God in ways that we can barely imagine, but they had no problem “ceasing” from praising God.

4.) God is respected as holy and is the focus of worship

Too often musicians and singers will try (or by lack of prayerful thought and planning) draw attention from God and the act of worship back to a recognition of the talent and ability of the worship leader and/or soloist. All parts of the worship experience should work together for the common goal of praising and worshiping God. There is no room for performers receiving applause for entertaining the congregation. Instead, those who participate should act as worship leaders always trying to make themselves transparent to the act of worship. Singers do not always have to be visible or musicians at the front of the platform. By purposely not having a highly visual performance (muted wardrobe for worship leaders), worshipers are able to focus more on the music and the message and direct their attention to God. Furthermore, all musicians and singers should prepare adequately and considered the importance of their service as a worship leader. Excellence should be the standard for worship. Not everyone has the same gifts, but all persons should contribute the best they have to the effort.

Well, that’s enough griping for one day. :D

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Scott,

Do you mean for congregational singing or "special music" or either?

6. Multimom

Multimom New Member

Actually I think he has hit it right on the head. Many Christians never ever enter into "worship" They sing the same old songs never really reading the words much like we did reading poems in High School. We could read them but we really didn't pay attention.

Sort of like the Bill of Rights or the Declaration of Independence. We read the words, but do not feel the passion of the authors. Could we have lived in their time and known their difficulties surely the statement "We the people of the United States" would have filled us with great emotions.

If we truly under stood God's magnitude (which we cannot, due to our finite minds) then praise would be the first and last thing on our lips every day.

Christians many times do NOT worship, because the reality of God is not at work in their lives. For the lost man, yes it is unrepentence, disobedience etc. But for the believer, I feel it is truly a lack of "knowing fully even as we are known".

7. ScottEmerson

I find it interesting that as of right now, the most commonly objected song is a remix of When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. Even though the tune and lyrics are faithful to the original, it would seem that people say it is not okay because of the addition of guitar and drums. Why is this? Is there something in those intruments that distracts or cancels out worship?

(And by okay, either is fine - special music or congregational singing. I think most are congregational except for Via dolorosa.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

OK. This is what confused me. I think they're all OK for church but I would save Via Dolorosa for "special music" or an offertory. I don't think narrative type songs are really suited for congregational singing.

I haven't heard a couple of the songs you mentioned but I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be appropriate.

9. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Well obviously if they use percussion or have a rhythm with the second and fourth beats accented then they are of a demonic and sensual nature. The Bible tells us not to be of the world, and playing the world's music is not an exception.

10. ScottEmerson

Well obviously if they use percussion or have a rhythm with the second and fourth beats accented then they are of a demonic and sensual nature. The Bible tells us not to be of the world, and playing the world's music is not an exception. </font>[/QUOTE]Either A) You are being facetious or B) You are holding a logically untenable position.

If we are not to be of the world, why are you using electricity, using the internet, watching television, and so on? We assume that the internet is harmless, and can indeed beneficial if used properly. Why can music that is accented on the second and fourth beats not also be beneficial?

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How Great Thou Art" is a "casual", not formal worship song. Many of our churches are also "casual" (at best) and it would be fine.

"Via Dolorosa" is Catholic through and through and I would not find it acceptable in my church, even as a special.

The others are praise/worship choruses at best and would be fine in a contemporary (NOT MINE) so-called "worship" service.

Hey, you asked for opinions.

12. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

It has been well documented that music with accents on the 2nd and fourth beats is sensual in nature. By sensual I mean that it appeals to the lower fleshly appetites.This is a well known and undisputable scientific and moral fact. What we need in the church is more holy rigid cerebral worship-the only kind that God approves of. If you start "feeling" emotion when you are singing, then you are giving in to the charismatic notion that worship should also engage the heart. Clearly, it shouldn't.We are supposed to have our intellect focused solely on the meaning of the text!! Feelings are bad! Bad I tell you!!

13. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

By the way Scott, I'm just goofing around. I am probably far closer to your end of the spectrum with respect to worship. I've just given up debating the "traditional only" types. I think Rush coined the phrase "Illustrating absurdity by being absurd". You'll know exactly what I mean after a few rounds of dealing with all the half truths, misrepresentations, and blatant deception of some of the people in this forum.

14. ScottEmerson

Okay, you REALLY had me going there. I was all ready to come up with a scathing response, but I don't have to use it now!

15. ScottEmerson

I never thought about that - what specifically do you find objectionable?

16. Pete

Pete New Member

OK the first 2.

Shout To The Lord is one of the better hillsfings, it does not suffer God is my girlfriend or I wrote this song for my cat syndromes, but the thing has been done unto death, then been brought back to life a few times to be killed off again and again the same way...It has been a few years now since I have played that one in Church, can still do it blindfolded though :( Now and then when I'm playing Strat at home I just can't help myself and play a "thrash version" :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

The rest I have not heard, God has really blessed me ;) :D

It would be hard to do a bad version of When I Survey, although Phil Squeakky...er...Keaggy once slaughtered Be Thou My Vision so anything is possible. I mainly pick when playing When I Survey. More often than not I use the acoustics on it, or a ton of reverb and very soft effects if I use the Strat.

Pete