1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which translation to use?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by noregrets1987, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's revising history?
    When Edwards was born in 1703, the Geneva Bible had been out of print for nearly sixty years.

2. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice, "collect 'em all"!

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You are correct. My brain, for some unknown reason, put Jonathan Edwards back a century, even after citing his birthday, just previously. He'd have been a really old preacher by the time he was preaching and heading Princeton, not to mention, he'd have had to have been born before there was even an English colony anywhere on North America. I never have any intent to revise history, but as I've said before, I probably should not publish posts when I am tired. And as I don't sleep well, as a rule, that is fairly often, and more than I'm even aware of, lots of times. I don't catch my mistakes, sometimes, when composing posts.

The Early Puritans did mostly use the Geneva Bible, in the early years from what I've been able to find out, and that is probably would have been carried at Ocracoke and Jamestown, as well. It would not have been very likely, IMO, that the giant Great Bible and/or Bishop's Bible was packed around very much, unlike the much smaller Geneva and later the KJV.

Outta' curiosity, what version/translation are you suggesting the OP use?

Ed

#43 EdSutton, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008