1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which version!

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by pawn raider, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>by someone:It must be a terrible existence to live out ones life believing there is a KJVO conspiracy lurking around every corner and in every question. BOO!

by someone else:
    It's a better existance than being a cultic KJVonlyer! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's real christian like, call someone a cultic because they hold to the Bible that has been used to bring untold millions to Christ for the last 400 years.
    If he is saved by the blood of Christ, is he not your brother.
    "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Joey M ]

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Mr. Joey,

I think you need to review all the threads in this forum to see the vial attacks by KJVOs. I don't make those types a cult. They make themselves one. I have no problem with Thomas Cassidy's position on the KJV. He doesn't take it to the cultic extreme. To accuse the MV defenders in these threads of being un-Christlike and saying nothing about your KJVO buddies is pretty naive.

3. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Sorry, Wells, I included both quotes to show that neither made a valid statement about anything other than to attack each other. I reread my post and seen how it looked one sided. I'm sorry I did not mean it in this way. I was just trying to say that we can have our differences and still love one another and debate the issues without attacking one another. And as for my KJO buddies, I have none I have here brothers and sisters in Christ. Though some may hold the same view as me. I do not claim the KJV is without error, I do claim that it is the best translation we have.
    I have been on this board for a little while now and I have seen the hatred in many of the post, including some of mine. I think it is high time we rebehave ourselves here in such a way that if some unsaved person were to drop by, they would not say " well if that is what a christian is, then I don't want to be one." Again I'm not pointing fingers, I know it needs to start with me.
    I'm not talking about compromise either. I never have believed in that. But we can agree to disagree and still be brothers. Can't we?
    God speeed.

4. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Joey said, "I do not claim the KJV is without error, I do claim that it is the best translation we have."

That's fine with me. And I'll go with the NIV for readability and the NASB for accuracy. Peace treaty accepted! ;)

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: John Wells ]

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pawn raider:
    John Wells,

It must be a terrible existence to live out ones life believing there is a KJVO conspiracy lurking around every corner and in every question. BOO!

Pastor Larry,

Here’s your misdirection: I asked which version is better and what I received in reply is what a verse doesn’t mean! Does that not sound like misdirection to you! As for the other points you need to read the postings more carefully!

As for those responding to my post, instead of answering the question you are more comfortable with putting on the gloves and going a few rounds.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My favorite version and that of many pastors I have studied under is the NASB for its accuracy. It is much like the KJV without all of the thees and thous and it corrects many of the ancient words into English words. Some people think it is dry, but it is just exactly a translation--nothing more--nothing less.

If you want just good reading, especially if your tired and want inspiration and aren't picking each verse apart--yes, go with the NIV, but be sure and read the notes at the bottom of the page telling what different manuscripts say. It is good as long as those notes are provided.

The good old KJV, well, you can't go wrong, but if you have not grown up with it, it may be difficult to read. If you have, it still may not mean exactly what you think--so be a little careful.

I use Tyndale's Parallel Bible and compare the three and it is amazing what I can gleen from reading the same thing written in three ways (I will read the Living Bible, but remember it is NOT a translation, but a paraphrase--but it might help in some understanding as long as you go back to a translation.)

I would keep my translations to those three right now, until this new English Standard comes out, then I would talk to some critics and read about it before jumping right into it.

I hope this helps some---just my opinions.

6. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I use Tyndale's Parallel Bible and compare the three and it is amazing what I can gleen from reading the same thing written in three ways <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phillip, does that parallel Bible have KJV,NIV,and NAS? I have been looking for one that had those three in it and have not been able to find one. If it does, can you tell me where you got it and about how much I can expect to pay for it?
    Thanks.

P.s. I might have to cut down on the KFC to help pay for it. Hehehe!

7. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joey M:

Phillip, does that parallel Bible have KJV,NIV,and NAS? I have been looking for one that had those three in it and have not been able to find one. If it does, can you tell me where you got it and about how much I can expect to pay for it?
    Thanks.

P.s. I might have to cut down on the KFC to help pay for it. Hehehe!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the

Comparative Study Bible, KJV, NIV, Amplified, and the updated NASB

8. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> See the

Comparative Study Bible, KJV, NIV, Amplified, and the updated NASB
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chris, I went and got one at the Bible Book Store. It was more expensive but it has a leather cover rather than hardback.
    Also pick up the ESV on sale for $17.98. Came with a cd-rom too.

9. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Joey,

Now you're armed and dangerous! :eek:

Actually, now you're better equipped to get a more rounded understanding of God's Word without giving up your love for the KJV! ;)

10. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

It appears to me that the original question to this thread was a loaded one. It is another way of starting a KJVO vs other translations. Am I wrong? :rolleyes:

11. Rockfort

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timotheus:
    It appears to me that the original question to this thread was a loaded one. It is another way of starting a KJVO vs other translations. Am I wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's like looking around a used car lot and being approached by a salesman who says "How are you today?" and wondering if that's another way of asking "Do you want to buy one of my lemons?"

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joey M:

Thanks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it has the RSV (Revised Standard Version) I thought it was NASB, but I was wrong. It has KJV, NIV, The Living Bible (paraphrase), RSV. They are all four lined up on each open pages. Two columns per page and if one is shorter than the other it stops and does not continue so that each page contains the entire section in all four columns.

Even though it is RSV it makes it so much nicer to make comparisons between these translations, especially the NIV and KJV. I bought mine at a bookstore in a Mall -- can't remember which one, Dalton's or something like that. It was on sale on one of their tables for $10, so I think I got a real good deal. I noticed Amazon is charging $51 for it. I'd look at eBay or some bookstore because it must be out of print now and you should find some surplus stock somewhere. It is specially called: The New Layman's Parallel Bible. Zondervan is the publisher. It is hardback, white with four stripes of colors and pretty thick and heavy. (not that bad though). The ISBN number is: 0-310-95025-2.

Sorry about the NAS, I am really not that up to speed on the history of the RSV. Just look under parallel Bibles at amazon and see if any more come up. There may be new ones on the market now.

I hope this helped. [​IMG]

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There is a parallel Bible that has the NASB, NIV, KJV, and Amplified Bible. If you look at CBD or a Christian book store, you should be able to find it.

14. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There is a parallel Bible that has the NASB, NIV, KJV, and Amplified Bible. If you look at CBD or a Christian book store, you should be able to find it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one I bought. It is real nice.
    I still don'r agree with alot of the changes in the MV's, but I do like them alot better than I did.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    There is a parallel Bible that has the NASB, NIV, KJV, and Amplified Bible. If you look at CBD or a Christian book store, you should be able to find it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the wheelbarrel you need to carry this around is not included in the price :D

16. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Joey M. said, "I still don'r agree with alot of the changes in the MV's, but I do like them alot better than I did."

The good thing about being a multi-version user is it tends to lead you to doing a lot more serious Bible study.

Where the KJV adds words (usually marginal notes), the NASB (as an example) may have a better rendering. Somewhere else you may be enjoying the readability of the NIV, but glance at the KJV and determine its rendering truer.

Anyway, IMHO when it comes to translations, several is better! God bless!

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Wells:
    Joey M. said, "I still don'r agree with alot of the changes in the MV's, but I do like them alot better than I did."

The good thing about being a multi-version user is it tends to lead you to doing a lot more serious Bible study.

Where the KJV adds words (usually marginal notes), the NASB (as an example) may have a better rendering. Somewhere else you may be enjoying the readability of the NIV, but glance at the KJV and determine its rendering truer.

Anyway, IMHO when it comes to translations, several is better! God bless!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,
    Have you noticed that whether a person is a KJVO or not that a good parallel Bible seems to make you think or see things that you didn't catch before even when you go back and read the KJV text. I think in this way the Holy Spirit can help use translations to further the understanding of some of the older words we may have some difficulty in understanding. Personally, I really like using multiple translations, but I usually carry my KJV and a NIV to church for Bible study and keep both open to the scriptures we are studying. I also have a Ryrie NASB Study Bible which I use quite often. I'm learning Greek and I have the Nestle, Westcott and Hort and an 1812 version that was supposedly that used for the KJV. This way I can compare the different manuscripts just to see where the differences are. I find Greek MUCH easier to learn than ancient Hebrew. I have heard claims that people who can read the actual original languages get a stronger "feel" for the message than they do with translations -- that is, if they have developed appropriate skill in the language.