1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Version ?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what version ( all from the same ) am I quoting . Caution : it's a trick question . Let's see if anyone can unravel my query . ( It's not rocket science )

All my examples will be from the book of Romans .

1:13 : I want you to know , brothers and sisters , that I have often intended to come to you ( but thus far have been prevented ) , in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles .

1:17 : For in it the righteousness of God is revealed beginning and ending in faith , as it is written , "The one who by faith is righteous shall live."

2:8 : but for those who are contentious and do not obey the truth , but obey unrighteousness , there will be wrath and fury .

3:9 : What then ? Are we Jews at any disadvantage ? No , not at all , both Jews and Greeks , are under sin ,

5:18 : Therefore , as the trespass led to condemnation for all men , so the act of righteousness of one leads to justification and life for all men .

8:31 : What then shall we say to these things ? If God is for us , who is against us ?

9:27 : And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel : "Though the number of of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea , only a remnant of them will be saved ,

10:4 : For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness , that everyone who believes may be justified .

12:2 : Do not be conformed to this world , but be transformed by the renewal of your mind , that by testing you may discern what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God .

12:8 : the one who exhorts , in his exhortation ; the one who contributes , in generosity ; the one who gives aid , with zeal ; the one who does acts of mercy , with cheerfulness .

12:11 : Do not be slothful in zeal , be fervent in the Spirit , serve the Lord .

12:16 : Live in harmony with one another . Do not be haughty , but give yourselves to humble tasks .

14:4 : Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another ? It is before his own lord that he stands or falls . And he will be upheld , for the Lord is able to make him stand .

14:11 : for it is written ,
    "as I live , says the Lord , every knee shall bow to me , and every tongue shall give praise to God .

#1 Rippon, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I went searching for it but I couldn't find it. :BangHead:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's there -- just read between the lines ( in a manner of speaking ) . Pss -- that's a clue .

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Oooh pick me, pick me!!

ESV reading the footnotes? :)

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got it ! Maybe you are a rocket scientist ! Did you find it out quickly after seeing my post ? Too bad I didn't promise any rewards for the winner .

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Get this!

I googled Rom 1:17 and got the footnotes to the ESV, but I really thought it was the text you were using. :BangHead:

Good one, Rippon. :thumbs:

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

No, I am just married to a walking New Testament. lol

He walked by, saw the post and said check ESV. So I did, and then the clue about reading between the lines, well that did it for me lol. At first, I was thinking something interlinear lol.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good minor detective work TaterTot .

You know if more switching took place between what's in the footnotes of the ESV and what is in the text -- the hullaboloo over the TNIV would not have been . For example : In the New Testament of the ESV it has 'brothers' , but down at the bottom it has "or brothers and sisters" . Of course there is more of an explanation -- and it never has this explanatory note when the context demands real flesh and blood brothers . I counted 151 instances of "or brothers and sisters" in the footnotes of the ESV New Testament .

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Iwas noticing that too, Rippon. I got a TNIV for Christmas, and its very similar. I dont see all the hype over it