1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the sons of God? Gen. 6:2

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by toolman, Oct 30, 2001.

1. toolman

toolman New Member

Ge:6:1: And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
    Ge:6:2: That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
    Ge:6:3: And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
    Ge:6:4: There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

I am not sure what I believe on this subject and would like some input. I heard a theory about this the other day and it sounds far off, but when I read this passage it brought me to question. In verse #2 Who are the “Sons of God”? A friend of mine believes that the sons of God are fallen angels. He believes that the union between the daughters of men and the sons of God, brought about the Giants. The fallen angels were sent from Satan in order to ruin pure human blood so that Jesus could not come.

I have always believed that angels were neither male nor female; although angels are referred to in the masculine, they can not reproduce children.

Also are the mighty men the same as giants in verse #4?

What do you think? :confused:

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moved from General to the Theology Forum. Encourage all to read the related thread (though it does go far afield) before posting.

3. Joey M

Joey M New Member

The sons of God were those of the linage of Seth, who the chosen seed was to be passed down through, and the daughters of men are those of the linage of Cain, as he was cast out.

God speed.

4. Slain Arminian

Slain Arminian New Member

I believe the sons of God were Adam's descendants, while the daughters of men were neolithic women. The nephilim, which means fallen ones, refers to those mighty men, who probably seemed immortal, when they outlived their contemporaries by hundreds of years {i.e., Noah). After the Flood, Noah who had been perfect in his generations left descendants who again would intermarry with the neolithic folk.

5. toolman

toolman New Member

I still wonder if the union between the Sons of God and the daughters of men, brought about the Giants. [​IMG]

6. garpier

garpier New Member

I believe that the sons of god were the fallen angels who Jude refers to in Jude 6 as the angels "which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation." I believe that these demons were chained because of their desire for "strange flesh" ( Jude 7). I bellieve the request of the demons in Luke 8:32 not to be sent into the deep is a reference to this place where these fallen angels from Jude are kept. Also in Job when the sons of God presented themselves before God and Satan was also there (Job 1:6), I believe is confirmation that the term sons of God refers to angelic beings in the Old Testament.

7. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

Sons of God in the OT were angels

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

8. Manstrom

Manstrom New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toolman:
    I still wonder if the union between the Sons of God and the daughters of men, brought about the Giants. [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By Jove! I think you've got it. That is exactly what I have always believed.

Agape,

MIke :D

9. DocCas

DocCas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toolman:
    I still wonder if the union between the Sons of God and the daughters of men, brought about the Giants. [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No. The bible says the giants were already there when the sons of God (descendents of the Godly line of Seth) took wives of the daughers of men (descendents of the ungodly line of Cain) and children were born to them. [​IMG]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Genesis 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try again. [​IMG]

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Thomas Cassidy ]

10. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

The account of the Sons of God used to be part of the Adam and Eve account before it was moved to before the flood and pluralized. Everything in the Adam and Eve account points to them having sex except for the statement that Adam ate the fruit. In the parallel account in the Gilgamesh epic, the two (Enkidu and the Harlot) DO have sex.

Son of God = Adam.
    Daughter of man = Eve.
    Curse of mortality is the result of their activity.

Notice that in the Hebrew, the term for the Sons of God looking on the daughters of men is identical to the terms describing Eve looking on the forbidden fruit. The brief sentence, "she gave to him and he ate also" is a place holder for where this used to be. The curse results from the inherent incest, emphasized in their titles, which violated God's purpose in creating the woman as man's helper.

In its present position, it serves as an explanation of the origin of the Nephilim who are mentioned in Numbers and is part of the intensifying sin that leads to the flood.

See Gilgamesh, Genesis, and Woman

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: BWSmith ]

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: BWSmith ]

11. doodle

doodle New Member

Refering to Job (the oldest book in the Bible) uses the phrase "sons of God" to refer to the angels.

6 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them."

It is interesting to note that Satan is looked on as one not invited to the party.

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Job 1:6 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them."

It seems that for this to support the "sons-of-God-in-Genesis-6 theory", one must prove the fallen angels are called sons of God. The sentence in Job 1:6 would seem to indicate that Satan WAS NOT one of the sons of God who came to present themselves before the Lord, but that he came also among them.

13. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Where did you get the idea that Job is "the oldest book in the Bible"? It was written sometime after the exile and before Ben Sira (6th-3rd c.BC).

14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWSmith:
    Where did you get the idea that Job is "the oldest book in the Bible"? It was written sometime after the exile and before Ben Sira (6th-3rd c.BC).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BW, how about starting another topic if you want to discuss the age of the book of Job? This one is on the "sons of God".

15. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Good idea...

16. doodle

doodle New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWSmith:
    Where did you get the idea that Job is "the oldest book in the Bible"? It was written sometime after the exile and before Ben Sira (6th-3rd c.BC).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems we have one who has his eggs in the basket of "higher critisim."

17. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Amen! Higher criticism is a gift from God that brings us closer to understanding the Bible.