1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the SWINE referred to in this verse?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Matthew 7:6 Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

2. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

That is a really tough question. My personal experience has been with my father-in-law. He is a non-Christian. He has no desire to hear God's word or to associate with His people. He belittles my husband and I for attending church. He has "put me in my place" on several occasions with regard to speaking of God or witnessing in any way. He uses God's name in vain many, many times a day, in addition to using all sorts of profane language. We are building a studio-style house on his land. (I had no idea what a mistake this was when we started. Now I see the "Do not be yoked with unbelievers" applies to this situation!) We will be living there for three years. I would like to have a friend who is a calligrapher come in and put scripture on the walls, doorframes, etc. However, I know that when we move out he will very likely deface the scripture. God's word is quite possibly my most vauluable "posession" I will not put it out there to be mistreated by someone who has no regard for things of God. So... for me, he qualifies as swine. This is not to say I won't continue to try to subtly witness to him, but I don't put myself or my Lord out there to be abused by him, either. Make sense?

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yes, makes alot of sense. That's the way I have taken that verse to mean too. When someone acts so hateful when you talk about God or the Bible. They will try to tear you and scripture to pieces, they are only looking to fight and not open to listening. Their heart is hardened.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder...Is it wrong to place Scriptures up for your edification, and for all who visit, knowing that some day, a person you know might deface them? Who knows? Maybe by the time your F-N-Law reads them, he'll be receptive. If not, it's HIS sin to deface them. And maybe some visitor to your studio might be led to Christ by them!

Actually, the Scriptures themselves wouldn't be defaces at all...just your copy of them.

If swine become hungry enuff, they could well eat pearls or whatever was placed in front of them. As Christians, we should be careful to place before them what's GOOD for them.

MHoward, I'm not disagreeing with you...I just wanted to mention an alternative. But whatever you do, please let the HOLY SPIRIT guide you. Who knows? God may have something GOOD planned for your F-I-L. After all, HE(GOD) ALLOWED YOU AND HIS SON TO MOVE ONTO HIS LAND! Might this be significant?

Or, maybe I'm playing Pollyanna again?

5. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

[​IMG] I have thought about that, too. He would probably at least read it before he tested spray paint cans on it, right? I am definitely praying about it.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think I would NOT put scripture on the walls of a rental property or place I was using at a relatives without their permission. We need to 'respect' authority.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Matthew 7:6 Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

Are dogs and swine always the unsaved or can they be 'believers' who show disdain for God's word?

8. Christian_1

Christian_1 New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]False teachers have, and will continue to lead astray those who are willing to believe a lie, unfortunately.

Humans, their frailty, their unwillingness to accept the truth without taking 'shortcuts' along the way,(or making up their own false doctrines) pave for themselves, the road to destruction by promulgating and believing false teachings in so many ways.

May God bless you, and keep you safe from those snares.
    [​IMG]

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    mhoward,

Ephesians 5:7 (KJV)
    7Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
    Ephesians 5:8 (KJV)
    8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
    Ephesians 5:9 (KJV)
    9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
    Ephesians 5:10 (KJV)
    10Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
    Ephesians 5:11 (KJV)
    11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Titus 2:7 (KJV)
    7In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
    Titus 2:8 (KJV)
    8Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

10. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Diane, It is our house. We are building and paying for it. In exchange for allowing us to use their land for three years, we will be giving it to the in-laws in the end. FIL doesn't care if I paint the place psychadelic colors. He has said so. It's not that he doesn't want me to do it, it's that he won't respect it.
    How can you be a believer and show disdain for God's word. I am not trying to provoke a fight here, I truly see that as an oxymoron. How can you "believe" and show disdain for His word, whom you belive in in the first place?

Benjamin, Oh man! Don't I know what a mess I have gotten into. How to get out of it and preserve my witness is the problem. I have made promises that I feel I must keep. I wish I could flee the whole thing!!! I am trying my best to walk as a child of the light. Oh, how I know I have partaken in fellowship with those who are in the darkness. I lacked discernment. They are my husband's family. You have to remember that he professes to be saved, and when we were married he gave me no reason whatsoever to doubt that. I am praying for God to give me a clear way out! (Not necessarily from my marriage, but this compromising situation.)

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and your husband stay on the right path. God will do the rest.

12. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Benjamin, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying. [​IMG]

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe you can do wrong by staying strong in your faith and expressing it, without trying to ram it down anyone's throat.

The devil works in many ways besides using brute force...he's wiser and more powerful than anything else in existence besides God. His ways can be very subtle. He knows he cannot take your salvation, so he's trying to weaken your faith by setting you in a compromising situation involving it, by using a lost person who's open to his suggestions. HE WANTS TO KEEP YOUR FIL LOST AND WEAKEN YOUR WITNESS AT THE SAME TIME, to kill 2 birds w/one stone. However, long as you're on GOD'S side, you'll win with Him. And in this case, it looks as if your continued expression of your faith is the best route to take.

My personal policy is to never yield to or compromise with a sinner, regardless of friendship or relation, but to not try to force faith in God down someone's throat. I believe GOD will lead you down the right path. Now, whether your FIL will come to Christ or not, I cannot tell, but at least you will know you've made the Gospel available to him. Plant the seeds God gives you, and HE will make them grow according to HIS choice-and don't blame yourself if any given planted seed does NOT grow.

14. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Thanks for the edification robycop. It's hard when you are in his home. It's ironic that in the five years we've been married, he only visited our house 2 times, and we have always lived 45 minutes or less from dh's parents. Maybe that's why. He knows we follow God's ways in our home!