1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are YOU married to in God's eyes?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Let me ask this question though, and hopefuly it doesn't take this post off topic, would my sin prevent me from becoming ordained as a Pastor? Biblically? Just curious, and I will not offer my opinion about it, just would like some help in dicernment.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Rooster, off the top of my head and in my heart, I cannot think of any scripture that says the sins committed in your youth would prevent you from being a pastor. Were you a Christian at the time?

I would guess if we took a poll of our preachers only that many of them were not 'pure' until marriage. Many don't hear the call to pastor or preach until they're older.

Diane

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The Scriptures make it clear that sex outside of marriage is fornication, not marriage.
    Therefore, if you were promiscous before marriage you have commited fornication, not marriage umpteen times.
    That much is clear. And thank God He is a forgiving God. I am a child of the late '50's. Therefore, my adolescence was during the "yahoo!" '70's. Not proud of it, but there ya go.
    I also am divorced. My first wife was a drug addict and unbeliever, I was a drug addicted believer. Not Good. We divorced.
    Today I am married to a wonderful godly lady.
    What's all this got to do with the tea in China?
    As far as "leave and cleave" goes, my first wife and I never "cleaved". I believe that to cleave simply means to "adhere closely to, loyally, unwaveringly, firmly." If it ain't all four then you ain't cleavin'.
    Closeness. Loyalty. Firmness. Unwavering.
    So who am I married to in God's eyes?
    My second wife. We are equally yoked.
    And THAT my friends is a marriage.
    IMO
    In His service;
    Jim

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I agree with Pastor Larry here except I believe that in a true marriage a spiritual bond is formed that is much greater and stronger than the emotional bond. Emotional bonds often deteriorate and break, spiritual bonds last for eternity.

[​IMG]

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

1. Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives?
    2. For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
    3. So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.
    4. Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. Rom. 7:1-4 (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

6. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Jesus to the woman at the well (John 4)
    "Thou hast well said, I have no husband; for thou hast had five husbands, and the one thou hast now is not thy husband. In that saidst thou truly."
    Several points I would like to make here. Obviously, the one she had (at the time) was not her husband and it would be difficult to presume it was a platonic relationship. (So, a sexual union does not make a marriage.)
    Those previously were her husbands; Jesus said so.
    Third, and most important for all of us: Jesus did not say, "Get away from me sinful woman." Jesus is not only the One Who takes away sins, but the One Who can heal broken lives.
    Those who would criticize Christians for being intolerant in speaking out against deviant lifestyles have it all wrong. Such behavior is condemned by God and they CANNOT have God's blessings while engaging in behavior that God condemns. No, most Christians, I hope, see that those in such lifestyles need the Lord Jesus: for forgiveness and DELIVERENCE from sin. Paul said, "I warn you, as I did before, they that life like that shall not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven." To steer one away from disaster should never be called hateful or intolerant.

7. manchester

manchester New Member

If you take it literally, yes, every person that one has relations with becomes part of his/her "one flesh," and it could be a very large group, indeed. I would simply say that the verse about becoming one flesh with a harlot is making a point and shouldn't be taken literally.