1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who could have imagined...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 8, 2014.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

...when I first arrived in Ireland in 1995 that we would ever hear an Irish president addressing the British Parliament?

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

And it only took 98 years for it to happen. :laugh:

At least the Irish electorate isn't demanding reparations for the farms and businesses destroyed by the English in the 300 years prior to independence. But maybe they oughta ...

Just a thought. I mean, if the great-great-great-great-great-great ad infinitum grandchildren of slaves can claim damages from the U.S. government ... ?

OK, bad idea. N/M

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Ireland did not have a president till 1937. It is a mostly symbolic office and a Taoiseach (prime minister) addressed Parliament in 2007.

It took a war for independence, a civil war, and years of troubles before the republic was finally established in 1949.

I don't think the Irish want to open that can of worms. The British would then bill them for the damage to Dublin in 1916 and following :).

#3 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014