1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who does God Love?!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Brian Hildebran, Aug 17, 2005.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Notice I was not talking about "Calvinists" per se but a particular stripe of Calvinists. I am "Calvinistic" in my theology (although I do not prefer a human-created term like "Calvinism" to define my beliefs).

And regardless of your stripe, I would say yes I would assume most Calvinists (and non-Cals for that matter) believe less will be saved than lost.

I am not. I am saying do not tell them with confidence that God loves them. Do the math. Most people are "hated" by God. Chances are your children may be one of the hated ones. There is no way to know for sure until their election is "revealed". So just be honest with them and let them know that there is a strong possibility they are not one of the elect and therefore "hated" by God.

Do you believe God in his very nature is love?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matt 7 says that the MANY do NOT find eternal life but the FEW enter by the NARROW gate and enter into eternal life.

This contrast within the people of God (Christ did not addressing pagans in Matt 7) between the MANY and the FEW is embarrassing to those who make God an "arbitrary selector" selecting out from among the MANY - the FEW that He will "care to save".

By contrast GOD says He so loved THE WORLD!!

In Christ,

Bob

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whom He "does not love"???

Are "all His Children going to heaven"???

Does the Bible say "The WHOLE WORLD GOES TO HEAVEN"??? (after saying God so Loved the WORLD)

In Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Have "always been hated" by God John P??

The "many" of Matt 7 John P??

In Christ,

Bob

5. rc

rc New Member

Whim was not a good word... in a hurry.

6. All about Grace

Actually if God hates the majority of his creation, killing on a whim makes logical sense.

7. rc

rc New Member

Do not make God to be like you though you imagine him to be.... His complex motives are far above our comprehension. He can kill those He loves also. It pleased Him to see the sacrifice of His son also. He has many nuances of love and hate. He hates sin and those who commit it, yet while WE WERE YET SINNERS, Christ died for US... this is love.

8. All about Grace

That is why I refuse to label myself by a human-invented system such as Calvinism.

You are missing the point. Some have said that God does not love everyone. That being the case, God must a) go against his very nature, which is love & b) hate the majority of his creation since few find the narrow way.

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Bob.
    Yes indeed from before the creation of the world.
    The many of Matthew and the many of Romans. You talk back to God.
    Why not oppose the few loved in Matthew with the many loved in Romans 5? I don't care how many man why do you? :cool:

The children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God are the few or the many. Since not all are born of God, and seeing as it does not depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy then not all are loved are they? Love does not fail after all does it? But then why does He still blame us?
    God loves in mercy. Not all receive mercy.

john.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Calvinist model you descrive shows a god that is FAR from impartial! Rather He is fickle and arbitrary --- randomly saving and striking humanity as it pleases Him.

As JohnP states "God HATES from the foundations of the world" the MANY of Matt 7.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/35/1572/2.html#000028

That is a Calvinism that deserves some attention from Arminians.

In Christ,

Bob

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Bob.
    With respect I said Yes indeed from before the creation of the world. Before the creation from eternity. :cool:
    As my seven year old boy says to me, "Bring it on man." :cool: I see you have no answers.

john.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many Calvinists here have come claiming that God "hates the wicked" and that God's justice and holiness makes Him hate fallen humanity "from the foundation of the world".

So here is a question for Calvinists --

"Who are the fallen sinful children of Adam"??

"Who are the wicked"??

OF all the fallen sinful depraved children of Adam does God just hate "the wicked"??

Or are you simply using circular reasoning to make those arguments against the Arminian point that God IS IMPARTIAL when it comes to salvation as 2Peter 3 shows Him to be unwilling for ANY to perish and as Romans 2 SHOWS that He impartially judges such that "Judgment is passed IN FAVOR of the righteous" (in Daniel 7) resulting the ones given eternal life as SHOWN in Romans 2.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As JohnP states "God HATES from the foundations of the world" the MANY of Matt 7.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John - I did not mean to limit your view of God's hatred - I am simply saying that "at the least" that eternal hatred you mention is "From the foundation of the world" and this of course is to contrast with the Rev 5 view of the "Lamb".

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quote:
    That is a Calvinism that deserves some attention from Arminians.

John you are just not getting it.

I post those direct questions so I can get a print of your direct answers and store them as quotes.

You see John - I have a number of "other Calvinists" on this board outside of you and RC that love nothing more than to accuse Arminians of "making things up about Calvinism".

As it turns out - they do that "primarily" when those Arminians are referring to views that you and RC have published.

I love to get quotes from you that clarify your position and SHOW why Arminians keep referring to the fact that such views ARE being posted by Calvinists HERE on THIS BOARD!!

It is also helpful to have your quotes (and RC's as well) as they show a logical conclusion for the winding road of Calvinism.

Now about that question regarding the "wicked" that you claim "God so hates" -- How many of the fallen sinful depraved children of Adam were "not wicked" so that God would "not so hate them"?

Or was that a case of Calvinism using circular reasoning again?

In Christ,

Bob

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Bob. :cool:
    Don't be shy Bob name names please. This is not a statement that I would make is it? It is not God's justice or holiness that makes Him hate fallen humanity it is because He chose to hate certain of the race He was to create.
    All men fall short and all are wicked but some are loved because He chose to love them while the others are damned just because.
    I'm sure but I thought a misquote is a misquote. What I write needs to be quoted not a shortened paraphrase because I take a lot of care over what I say (usually :cool: ).
    You do have trouble with language do you not? How can eternal mean from some point? From everlasting to everlasting is eternal not the foundation of the world. I get this strange feeling you are trying something on. :cool:
    Not interested man you tell me what you mean I'm not accepting your bible reading plan. If you have a point make it and support it with chapter and verse.

Your next post is fine. That you publish what rc and me say to you is of no consequence to me but His word goes out and does not return empty to Him. What I say here is what I say everywhere why should it concern me? Bring them on. :cool: Why not tell me where so's I can see you are using my words correctly as you have not shown that you quote me correctly even to my face. :cool:
    Just goes to show how much you have understood I suppose but we are what we are by the grace of God and this has had an effect in all of us.
    We were chosen before Adam fell. :cool: We were lost in the fall and that is why Jesus came to save His people from their sins. :cool: The Good Shepherd has been told by a man that He did not find all His sheep. :cool: And as I said men do not go to Hell for what they do or do not do but God is my Salvation praise His name. :cooler: People do not go to Heaven for what they do or don't do but God is my Salvation. Praise Him.
    Say what you mean please it's hard to answer charges when I do not know what you mean. If I have used such if such is wrong but I don't know if it was because I don't know what you mean if you know what I mean.

Here we go for the quote of the week: God has always hated those He chose to hate so that He could show us that He can do what He likes and cause those who were saved to see what they missed.
    What if He did this? What's it to you? You talk back to God.
    RO 9:22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- What are you going to do about it?

john.

16. Brian Hildebran

Brian Hildebran New Member

The above questions are relevant. But I would ask some questions which will answer your questions.

1) Who are the elect?
    Some will reply, "All those who God chose," which gets us nowhere.
    2)Who did God choose and WHEN did He choose them?
    This is a matter of supralapsarianism (long word that speaks concerning the order of God's decrees) Everything God does is according to HIS purpose, therefore everything God does is on PURPOSE. This is not so much explicitly taught in scripture but implied. What then are the order of decrees I'm speaking about? Election and the Fall of Man! Did God choose the elect before or after the fall? Most, sublapsarians, would say that God decreed the fall and after chose the elect from out of the fallen mass of shattered humanity. Supralapsarians believe just the opposite. God decreed to create man, then out of humanity chose for himself a "special treasure" His Bride. Then He decreed the fall of man. Why is this even important? For one it makes sense of passages such as these:

Matt. 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

When did God "lose" His "sheep" His elect? If at the fall then they would of necessity been "His sheep" PRIOR to the fall. He is speaking as a Sheperd whose sheep have "gone astray!"

Matthew 18:11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.

This is the introductory verse to the Parable of the Lost Sheep. It "implies" that the sheperd goes looking for His sheep which had gone astray.

There are numerous passages that speak of the "sheep" or the elect. But this is the greatest passage that implies supralapsarianism.

Also the Parable of the Coin and the Parable of the Prodigal Son.

The coin was ALWAYS the Woman's Coin, and the Prodigal was ALWAYS the Father's Son!

I have given only tidbits here for your further study. It is not my words that will persuade you but the Spirit. And by the studying more closely as a Berean, God will give you understanding!

I will close with a quote from AW Pink:

"The fall of the elect of mankind (in the decree of Jehovah) was subordinated to the glory of Christ, it being thereby contrived to show forth and exalt His wondrous perfections. To mention here only one: consider Christ’s love for the Church. Christ had a view of the Church in the glass of God’s decrees before the world began. He saw her as graced in Himself, and destined to eternal glory. He saw her as presented to Himself by the Father as His love gift. This drew out His heart to her. He saw her as “the King’s Daughter all glorious within” (Psa. 45:13). She was given to Him: they were made one by marriage-union in the everlasting settlements of Heaven. The Father blest her in Christ with all spiritual blessings. Hear Him speak as God-man before time began: “Then I was by Him, as One brought up with Him: and I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him; rejoicing in the habitable part of His earth; and My delights were with the sons of men” (Prov. 8:30, 31).

Certainly Christ’s “delights” were not with “the sons of men” regarded as fallen creatures. No, He was there contemplating them in their supralapsarian state, in their original purity and beauty. Oh how vastly different must the Church have next appeared in His eyes, when He viewed her as fallen, depraved and filthy! Yet so knit was His heart to her, such was His affection for her, that it neither destroyed nor abated the same by the foreviews He took of her apostasy in Adam. Yea, as He viewed the members of His body in their debased and vile condition, His heart was drawn out in pity and compassion toward them. Therefore was He willing to be their Surety, assume all their liabilities, fully discharge their debts, and make a complete atonement for them. Their fall in Adam occasioned an opportunity for their eternal Lover to display the changelessness of His infinite love for and to them." (Mystical Union, Part 3 of Spritual Union and Communion)

Spiritual Union and Communion by AW PINK can be read in entirety at

http://www.eternallifeministries.org/awp_union.htm

In Christ
    Brian H.

P.S. I'm going to bed now!

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Heeeeeeeee's back.

Welcome back johnp

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes indeed from before the creation of the world.
    The many of Matthew and the many of Romans. You talk back to God.
    Why not oppose the few loved in Matthew with the many loved in Romans 5? I don't care how many man why do you? :cool:

The children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God are the few or the many. Since not all are born of God, and seeing as it does not depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy then not all are loved are they? Love does not fail after all does it? But then why does He still blame us?
    God loves in mercy. Not all receive mercy.

john.
    </font>[/QUOTE]John, explain why Jesus would command us to love our enemies, if in fact He does not.

Matthew 5:43-48 Jesus gives us standards to follow concerning love, telling we are to love those who hate us, spitefully use us, persecute us. He "...makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." God loves His children MORE, but this doesn not mean God hates anyone as is falsely claimed using a handful of verses that do not necessarily mean "hate".

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello James.
    You are too kind. It's good to be back.

Hello webdog.
    Don't do as He does do as you are told. :cool: You have made man and God equal? He is not bound to the law but is the law.

If hate does not mean hate then please let me know what authority you have to teach that hate does not mean hate. Are you a linguist and a bible translator? Are you saying the translators of all the translations have erred and hated should read 'loved less'?

Rev 19:15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.
    Do you believe God hates no one? If yes explain to me where God's love is in the verse above please. If no could you tell me at what point God's love turns to hate and why, if love never fails 1 Cor 13:8, His love failed?

john.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't do as He does do as you are told. :cool: You have made man and God equal? He is not bound to the law but is the law.

If hate does not mean hate then please let me know what authority you have to teach that hate does not mean hate. Are you a linguist and a bible translator? Are you saying the translators of all the translations have erred and hated should read 'loved less'?

Rev 19:15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.
    Do you believe God hates no one? If yes explain to me where God's love is in the verse above please. If no could you tell me at what point God's love turns to hate and why, if love never fails 1 Cor 13:8, His love failed?

john.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We have been around this block on your sabbatical. Go back and do a search of "hate". The word can means "despise, loved less than"...not necessarily our emotional "hate" that calvinists love to brand God with. The Bible tells us "God is love", nowhere in scripture does it tell us God is hate. I will not add to that as calvinist do.

I have not made man and God equal, so do not slander me. I clearly pointed out what God commands us. I do not believe God would command us to do one thing, while He does the exact opposite. This would make God sleazy, which I will not make Him. You can add characteristics to God's nature, that is between you and Him.

I do believe God hates no one. Why? "God so loved the WORLD", the Bible says it, not me. I know what you think "world" means, but that takes a blatant twisting of scripture to fit you theology, so please don't come back with your "world" argument.