1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Is Barry Burton?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 6, 2021.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know anything about Barry Burton, author of Let's Weigh the Evidence, other than what is on the Chick Publications website?

Chick.com: Let's Weigh the Evidence - by Barry Burton, bottom of the page

Did he write anything else? Did he have an education? Is he still active in Christian work?

(Please do not make this thread about Chick tracts, okay?)

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a copy of Barry Burton's book, that is identified as being a 11th printing. It has a 1983 copyright date. My edition has no information about the author. It is dedicated to George Galligar who is said to have discussed the subject with the author. The references listed for it are three books by David Otis Fuller, J. J. Ray's book, the two books by Edward F. Hills, and two books by Peter Ruckman.

3. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://d3hgrlq6yacptf.cloudfront.net/5f4766d57c3ad/content/pages/documents/1442689835.pdf

This book refers to him as follows: "Norman Ward and Barry Burton are informed laymen whose books are invaluable primers."

Looking up the name on Google Books and Google Scholar, I am finding a few Barry Burtons with Seventh Day Adventist connections, but that wouldn't seem to match the bio given on the Chick Tracts site.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the help, folks. A friend of mine wrote an email essay quoting Burton's little book, so I wanted to find out what I could.

I have Burton's book myself, but this guy is like Jasper Ray of God Wrote Only One Bible--hard to track down.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that's an interesting link. Thanks! Oddly enough, it refers back to the BB with a link telling when Jasper Ray died!

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those of you who have been on here awhile know I have a pet peeve--people writing books about bibliology who know nothing a out it: no Greek or Hebrew, fluent in no foreign languages, no experience in translating, etc.

Oh, it's one thing to pontificate on the Internet, like here on the BB--"Let's have it out, man!" But to write a book about a subject infers that you are expert in it.

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Summerville, Oregon seems to be a small town. Its population is given as being 135 for the 2010 census.

There is an independent Baptist Church there called Summerville Baptist Church, which has a facebook page. Perhaps it could be contacted to see if it had a Barry Burton as youth pastor around 1982.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, that's helpful.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seemed to be very KJVO!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When searching, it might be worthwhile for everyone to note the middle initial "D." That might help distinguish him at some point.
    On Find-A-Grave I was able to locate only one George with the "Galligar" spelled that way. He is buried at Macon County, Illinois. (There are only 82 such surname spellings on Find-A-Grave.) Of course, that could be a misspelling (hopefully not, in a dedication), or he might not be dead yet, etc. (However, the dedication gave me the feeling that Burton was the younger and Galligar the older.)
    George F. Galligar
    Nevertheless, I did not find a Barry Burton around there who seemed like he would be the right one.
    Good find. Not being a preacher will make it less likely to identify him through newspaper references, which I had hoped might work.
    Where did Summerville, Oregon come in? I missed that. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is mentioned in the author information at the chick.com web site at the bottom of the page.

Click on read more about the author, and this is the first statement:
    "Around 1982 or 1983 we had been going to a small church in Summerville, Oregon."

#11 Logos1560, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I see on their website that they have Burton's book in their library, though that may not be particularly meaningful.

The person at this obituary (link below) may be the person who wrote the book. Though the obituary does not give anything that would connect him to church or the book, I found in public records on ancestry that he did live in La Grande, Oregon, which is the county seat of Union County, where Summerville is located. On the other hand, that could just be a coincidence.
    Barry Dean Burton

13. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To have be a youth pastor in 1982, I would think that the man would be at least 20 or likely in his 20's or 30's. He would not have to have lived in the small town of Summerville to go to church there. He could have lived in a nearby town or with a rural address from a nearby town. The author information had said that the person was going to a church in Summerville, but it didn't say he lived there.

The Barry Dean Burton that you located would have been around 27 in 1982 so he may be a possibility if he was living in Oregon in 1982 and 1983. A small church with only 4 or 5 teenagers in 1982 would have likely asked a volunteer to be youth pastor, not hire someone who had been to Bible college or seminary.

#13 Logos1560, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can confirm that the Barry Dean Burton in the obit and the one who lived in La Grande, Oregon are the same person. What I have not discovered yet, is whether he lived there in 1982. If he were there in 1982, that would be fairly compelling evidence, though still circumstantial.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, I noticed that there was a phone number listed in the 2020 obituary for a Ben likely a son or possibly a grandson. Perhaps he could be contacted to see if he knows if this Barry Burton was a youth pastor in Summerville, Oregon, in 1982 or 1983 or if he knows if he wrote a book.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have added that there is a range in which the record resides -- 1950-1993. So at least the range does not exclude 1982-83.