1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is The Interpretor of your bible, Church or Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Aug 15, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You have a strange kind of logic. My position is that the scriptures are final authority for faith and practice. The reason they are final authority is because they are not only GOD's Word on the subjects being written about, but the writing is inspired by God and completely sufficient for that purpose just as 2 Tim. 3:16-17 explicitly states.

Now for your question. The answer is "no"! The scriptures do not interpret themselves, however, they do provide the man of God with everything necessary for their correct interpretation. He must "study to shew himself approved unto God rightly dividing the word of truth." The scriptures provided the Bereans everything necessary to confirm or condemn Paul's teaching.

The truth does not depend upon your or my interpretation of scriptures or any interpretation at all but THY WORD IS TRUTH and remains truth regardless of man's interpretations. The true or false interpretation is not dependent upon me or you but upon that particular interpretation's CONFORMATION to the contextual data supplied by the Scriptures. Hence, it is the scriptures themselves that act as the final abritrar of right and wrong. The wrong intepretation ALWAYS contradicts contextual data furnished by the Scriptures. Thus the wrong interpretation is driven to some OTHER AUTHORITY for its confirmation if it is to be retained. Roman Catholics are always driven from the scriptures and always take refuge in ANOTHER AUTHORITY to support what the Bibical data will not confirm or what the scriptures condemns by its contextual data.

#41 The Biblicist, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

You still don't get it <G>

>Differing intepretations does not change God's Word and it is not the intepretation which is final in authority. The interpretation is only as valid as it CONFORMS to ALL the Biblical data.

True! But the argument about ALL of the Biblical data means. I have never seen a theological argument which includes an analysis of every statement in the Bible.

>That is exactly why we are on this forum and discussing these issues.

You sure about that? I think most are arguing these issues because they like to have the last word and can't stop. If they have the last word they think it confirms their righteousness. I don't care why you think you are on BB so you can have the last word regarding this particular subject. Can you resist?

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A wrong interpretation is revealed by its contradiction to the contextual data. A true interpretation is simply without contradiction to the contextual data rather than proving it conforms exhaustively to all possible data.

You are contradicting the very thing you are challenging! You could not resist giving your two cents could you?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Think most on this part of the board though seem to just interested in letting baptists know why we are wrong as reagrds to what the true Gospel is, and to what Biblical interpretation really is!