1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is your brother?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by trustitl, May 14, 2008.

1. trustitl

trustitl New Member

What do you do with people that profess to be born again believers but hold different doctrines than you?

Being honest, are you able to fully participate in the body of Christ with them?

What is in the confines of your heart towards those that teach positions that contradict what you believe to be correct?

A place like the BB is full of people that have thought out differing positons and understandings. This a group that even goes beyond sorting them out and will take the time to sit at a compurter and defend their doctrines. Most likely, we all will do the same with others we come into contact with.

Does your desire to be one that rightly divides the word ever come in the way of your ability to be in communion with the Spirit that hold us all together?

Curious to know how honest you all can be :thumbs: .

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot "commune in the Spirit" with one who refuses to acknowledge God is real.

I cannot "commune in the Spirit" with one who refuses to acknowledge Christ as the only way to heaven.

I cannot "commune in the Spirit" with one who believes salvation is something we must actively participate in, rather than just saying "thank you" for.

These are what is in the confines of my heart.

My question to you is, did you anticipate people to simply answer your questions? Or did you anticipate that your questions would draw answers like mine, that will inevitably draw other lines of discussion?

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

If we are desirous of being in God's will, we will regard them as being a part of His family and we will commune with them.
    Meanwhile we can and should continue to rightly divide the word of truth, although it is really frustrating that others are often so blind to the truth. :BangHead:

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

What do you do with people that profess to be born again believers but hold different doctrines than you?

Well, I honestly make sure that the most important issue is clear. Like Does he or she believe that Jesus died on that cross for our sins. Thats the most important thing to me. Without that then he or she is not a believer.

Being honest, are you able to fully participate in the body of Christ with them?
    Yes, I have many brothers in Christ who hold different views when it comes to their doctrine. Its honestly very sad that they allow that to divide the body. I feel like screaming at many of them and say "HEY I AM WASHED BY THE SAME BLOOD YOU ARE WASHED BY YOU KNOW" lol :laugh:

What is in the confines of your heart towards those that teach positions that contradict what you believe to be correct?
    Well, as i have grown in the lord and I am still growing big time. God has shown me alot of things that I used to think were correct were actually doctrines of men and not of God. Well, I honestly just pray for them and ask that God teaches them and stuff. I dont judge them because I was in that same position before and God opened my eyes. I believe the Body of Christ has to be united and its sad that little stuff breaks us all apart. There is power in a united body of Christ.

Does your desire to be one that rightly divides the word ever come in the way of your ability to be in communion with the Spirit that hold us all together?

To be honest, it has in the past and I am not proud of it. However I continue to learn every day and I ask God to help me do the right thing. The main thing with me is that we are to be one united body. Like you said, it is God who holds us all together and I think all of us can agree on that. If we can agree on that then the rest shouldnt be so difficult, its that some make it harder than other but we should all continue to seek to be more like Christ and not allow these things to cause any type of division

5. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

I know several people who hold to differently doctrines/beliefs, contrary to mine. That includes my ex-wife, who is currently in our Bible study.

She is well behaved though, and listens intently, and is agreeable on things, most of the time. Though I will admit! I make it a point, to try not to step on her toes too hard. :)

I can fellowship with most folks who hold other positions, other than mine, as long as we both walk lightly. That is long as they are more, or less in the mainstream. Not those who believe in a different god, other than the God of the Bible, or a Big Rock though. Well - I must include those, who worship Idols also.

At that point, I can fellowship better with an Atheist.

#5 Samuel Owen, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  6. trustitl

trustitl New Member

A little of both I guess.

You used the term "commune in the Spirit" a few times. I originally used the phrase "in communion with the Spirit" with the intent to get people to discuss what is usually called their relationship with Christ.

You answers addressed the second and third questions for the most part. Maybe you missed the intent. Sorry for not making it clear.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If they are Christian, then the answer is yes.

When I visit my mom, I always enjoy visiting her church. It's very different than my own. We are pretty far apart in every way --- theologically, music, eschatology, the sacraments (or can you call them that?), the style of service, the Bible translation, social issues, even the way people dress. About the only thing we have in common is Jesus - and that's what matters.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'd be interested in knowing what "rightly dividing the Word" means to you...

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The last part of that sentence was my feeble attempt at humor. But "rightly dividing the word" means understanding, living and teaching God's truths as revealed in holy scripture. That's the short answer. The long answer will take longer than I need to spend here and would get into the various doctrines embodied in the gospel of Jesus Christ as revealed in holy scripture.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To "commune with" is to communicate intimately with, or be in a state of receptivity; in other words, a relationship. Not sure where you see a difference in the usage of the terms. But I'll concede that my usage may confuse some folks.

I believe I answered 3 of your 4 questions.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that most the replies are a bit off topic here. The question is "Who is Your Brother," not whom do you commune with. Or perhaps it depends on what is meant by brother.

When I look at the life of Christ I believe he considered everyone he met his brother/sister in that he helped all he met. The only ones he gave a bad time to were the religious bigots of his day and that was because the completely rejected him as a brother in any sense of the word.

When I think of who is my brother or sister I think of the story of the Good Samartian and that leads me to believe than anyone I meet is my brother in that if I can provide help to them, then I should do so, and likewise, if I need help and they offer it, then I should accept it. Help can be anything from being given directions to a place I want to visit to life saving help. :godisgood:

12. Hebron

Hebron New Member

It is mainly secondary doctrine that divides, that is the sad thing about the Body of Christ in the world. Man's presumption of how a church should be has caused division. God will never be completely Glorified until His church is united.
    If we look at all the named churches (named by man BTW) this is where the division lies.

13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Pretty much whatever I can.

This excludes individuals who do not act like Christians in overall living.
    Not always, but I sure try.

In the past, my most frequent hindrance has been them resisting participation by me.
    That they are mistaken. I am just as prone to not being fully right as any other Christian, and I do my best to keep that in mind.

If someone is mistaken, it does not mean that they are `unfaithful' to the Lord. It just means that they goofed.
    It is made easier by knowing that `disagree' and `divide' are two different actions.

The Bible does not tell us to divide from those in the church we disagree with. The Bible does not tell us to use division to show disapproval of those with religious opinions that are wrong.

The Bible does not tell us to agree on everything. The Bible does tell us that the Lord wants us to maintain unity.

#13 Darron Steele, May 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

trustiti,

If the doctrines contradict foundational truth, such as the Catholic Church, JW's and Mormon Church, I love them, but stay sensitive to God opening a door to share the truth with them.

If the doctrines are in fringe areas, then I do as the scriptures advise and I "let my brother be fully convinced in his own mind", while focusing on what we agree on. We should "agree to disagree agreeably", while standing shoulder to shoulder as brothers or in Christ.

Yes. Of course. Fully. We are part of the same body. The denominational "memberships" mean nothing, and actually many times do more harm than good in my opinion.

That they are my brother, and we are part of the same body.

Never.

I've been as honest as I can be.

God bless,

Mike