1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Wears Short Shorts?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stern church lady reprimanded by new pastor after complaining that a young congregant swore at her in the ladies room. The traumatized teen posted video of being cornered by the hemline harridan:

twitter.com/roo_jenna/status/1145418354498461698 [CAUTION - profanity]
    twitter.com/SwansboroUMC/status/1146224239118340103

#1 Jerome, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to be "that guy", but this seems like something that should be handled internally within that church, not here on BaptistBoard.

To bring it up here really is nothing more than gossip. I don't think that was your intent, Jerome, but it's not a good idea to drag that out in public.

Besides, what if the woman has repented? While the consequences of her sin don't go away, should she have to be constantly reminded of it and should she forever be portrayed as that guilty person in that moment?

I'm not criticizing you, personally, Jerome, just saying we should all be a little more thoughtful about what others are going through when we post things.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, I'm not breaking the story, it's all over the news. I went back and redacted the aggressor's name from the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who was the aggressor? The older woman who calmly complained (in private) about the short-shorts the young woman was wearing? Or the young woman that was cursing and yelling for the older woman to "GET OUT OF HERE!!" and then posted the whole video on Twitter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's my question. The girl's behavior should have been addressed as well. Maybe it was. I'm not privy to that information.

The girl in the video has posted another video in which she makes herself out to be the victim and doesn't address her behavior or the language she used.

If I were the pastor, that would be a huge red flag.

#6 Hollow Man, Jul 5, 2019
  7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. I feel sorry for that preacher. That sort of stuff sounds like Slab City, California, or the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzite, Arizona, instead of a church.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let the older women teach the younger women.

However......pinning someone in the bathroom and telling her she is too fat to have on what she is wearing is NOT the way to do that. What if she didn't have a lot more clothes? She had on a sweat shirt and blue jean shorts that were not too short.

We have an entire generation of young people who use the "f" word and feel victimized. I think this girl had a legitimate complaint. She handled it wrongly, of course, because swearing like that is not acceptable.

The girl had no clothes apparently to change in to. I didn't think she was immodestly dressed anyway. Her shorts were not too short.

I've was a 16 year old girl once and my pastor's wife put her arm around me and said, "Dear, you need to button up a couple of those buttons on your shirt." I did and was not offended. And I did what she said. My shirt was unbuttoned to an inappropriate level.

But the bathroom was not the time or place and telling her she was fat was not the way to go about telling her that you didn't like her clothes.

If that was my daughter, she would have been punished for using profanity and for posting the video on Twitter. And the older woman would have gotten a lesson from me on manners, counseling younger women, and how not to tick me off again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, they were both wrong. Being I have quite a distaste for bullies, people that abuse their power and authority and this lady was older I would put more of the responsibility on her for the incident. As per the girl and the hyper-sensitive drama about body image being criticized, and language, lack of respect of an elder and poor handling of the situation I would say she needed a talking-to and the focus would be her drama, disrespect, language and learning from it and being more mature, being the bigger person.

Of course, the media will have a field day with it because of judgment from church people, daring to cross the taboo line of bringing up weight, ect...

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Christians should never use language like the "s" word or the '"f" word. Yeah, someone might let a bad word slip out once in a blue moon in uncontrolled anger or fear, but it should certainly not be a common way of speaking for a Christian.

2. I don't like short shorts on women in public, especially not in a church setting.

3. Yes, I am fully aware that I am an old fogy. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My wife wore short shorts in her younger days, but now she dresses the way a mature 63 year old grandma should. Even in her short shorts days however, she would dress appropriately for church.

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As many of us now are, and by the way we have legitimately earned the title! LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a lady in my church that uses some - well, lets call it - "unnecessary language" on Facebook. Right now is not the time to deal with it.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The older woman was following sound Biblical instruction. The young heathen was 100% in the wrong.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The old woman was right. Bathroom is a private place. Gluttony is a sin.the young girl is obviously a disrespectful little...

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Letter put out by the church says she is "a faithful and very gifted young lady and worship leader":

Church letter to the community (pdf)

Apparently a family member had suffered a brain aneurysm and she was in the midst of calling the hospital when this busybody church matron burst in and started laying into her. Poor girl, no wonder she was so distraught!

swansboro.jpg

#16 Jerome, Jul 5, 2019
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stopped wearing short shorts over a year ago.

Next year I'm giving up yoga pants.

18. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

Who wears short shorts?
    The one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater.

Let him that readeth understand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have a worship leader that cusses like that?
    Poor little filthy mouthed heifer. (That's what my granddaddy would have called her anyway.)

20. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt that "older" woman (probably younger than me, but you'd never know it. :Cool) would have liked me criticizing that her behind was at least 3 times as big as the girls! (Look at the end of the video when she walks away and turns sideways.) - which she covers up with a unflattering form fitting dress/shirt that is conveniently pleated and flared out at the bottom all the way to her knees to supposedly distract from her greatly over-sized caboose - too tight above the waist and clearly showing the poor condition of her pectoral muscles and sleeveless no less exposing her flabby arms which are also 3 times the size of the girl's. Yeah, I'd bet I'd get some emotion out of her alright!!:Smile