1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who will have the right answer?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TheOliveBranch, Sep 3, 2003.

1. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I once had a pastor, that when you went to him with a question, he would have his Bible in front of him, and he would give it to you, straight from God's Word. He also told me that when a person didn't like the answer that was in the Bible, they would go to someone who would show more pity than truth, and they could then get the answer they were really looking for. Can the Bible have all the answers to problems? And if the answers are there, shouldn't the proof always go with the answer, so that we can know what the truth is and what is right?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, the Bible does have the answers to all of life's problems. IT tells us that it is sufficient for "every good work," that in it is found "everything necessary for life and godliness." That does not however mean that all such information is explicit. It means that the principles of Scripture and the truth of Scripture are the guide for our life.

It sounds like this pastor was a bit brusque with people. While it is true that people who don't want the truth of Scripture will go find some other advice, it is quite often a growing process. A person who is resistant to truth at first will often come around in time.

As for proof, the Bible is its own proof. Truth is proved by its appearance in Scripture. There is no other proof needed. THat being said, there is plenty of proof from looking at the lives of those who have disobeyed Scripture. In counseling people in troubled situations, I always try to gently remind them that disobedience is what got them here to begin with.

3. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Larry. Well stated.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is not an answerbook (although it contains many answers), but rather it points us to a living faith in Jesus Christ who IS the Answer and the Fulfiller of life.

5. Justified

Justified New Member

Pastor Larry, I know the Pastor in which Olive is refering to, and she put in a few words, instead of writing a book, but the Pastor is very tactful and kind when presenting truth from Scripture.

And on the same note, that there are many that decide to interpret Scripture with feelings instead of God's Holiness. Thus find what most IFB Pastors tell them from Scripture very leagalistic. (Stepping on toes, sort of speak)

:cool:

6. Justified

Justified New Member

The Bible is God,s Manual & Answer Book for our lives, if you will just open it and look!

7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is God,s Manual & Answer Book for our lives, if you will just open it and look!</font>[/QUOTE]Jesus is the way, the truth and the life - not the Bible.

The Bible points us to Jesus, is true, and gives us objective guidance for our lives, but should not be made the focus of faith.

8. Justified

Justified New Member

Is not Jesus, the Word of God?

Is not the Bible, God's Word?

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is the Word of God.

The Bible is the written word of God.

Jesus and the Bible are not the same.

You can have a living faith in Christ without having the written word of God.

You can have the written word of God (and believe it is true) without having a living faith in Christ.

The Bible and Christ are not in conflict, but we should be disciples of Christ. The Bible gives us assistance in our walk with Christ.

10. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

So when you come across something that is not answered by the Bible, where do you turn? I want to know from your personal experience where you go to find the answers. And don't get punchy about it. I know you can't fix your car or computer from it, but for your daily walk, where do you go to get the answers if it's not in the Bible?

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

When I need answers, I go to God first. Then I go to the Bible, and if need be, I go to my Pastor.

The Bible is the final authority.

Unfortunately, people interpret it differently. That is why we have all these disagreements about 'this verse means this', NO, 'this verse means that'!

I think Baptists are very diverse and we just need to listen to God and test the spirits. God will reveal to us what each verse means in our lives.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when you come across something that is not answered by the Bible, where do you turn? </font>[/QUOTE]The life of faith in Christ is not primarily about acquiring answers and information, but rather serving God and humankind and spreading the good news of Jesus Christ.

Furthermore, when we walk in faith in Christ, God will speak to us through His word, through others and directly – often through His still and quiet voice.

Through the written revelation of scripture and the direct guidance of God. Jesus said in John 10 that His sheep recognize His voice and follow Him.

You seen to have the impression that because I don’t see the Bible as an answer book that I don’t consider it an important and precious source of guidance and direction. Nothing could be further from the truth.

13. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

One should go to God.
    More than anything, God desires a personal relationship with us. I believe that He wrote parts of the Bible with a degree of ambiguity (not with respect to Doctrinal issues) so that we would have no other choice but to come to Him. Does God want your worship to be exactly the same as Diane, or Baptist Believer, or even Baptist in Richmond? No. That is why He made each of us to be unique, and I believe that He wants us to worship Him in our own individual way. Bear in mind that Doctrinal issues are not open for discussion, but those things not specifically stated are for you to ask Him.

One area in my personal life is music. Is listening to Beethoven wrong? In my personal life, it is not a sin to listen to Beethoven. [I have a problem with Wagner; however, that is related to him as a person and that is a completely new discussion!!]

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

This is true, much in the same way that there are churches out there where verses are distorted and bona fide legalism abounds.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me the chapter and verses for how an internal combustion engine works.

Thanks.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I remember right the Bible gives us instruction on where to get wisdom. It says, " But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

17. Justified

Justified New Member

Well, now that you brought it up, God did invent the car! Judges 3:28

Will that surfice your desire for an answer? [​IMG]

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

With all due respect to my friend Bob, this is a great oversimplification and misdirection. I don't think any of us who believe in sufficiency of Scripture argue that it addresses such things as this. Generally speaking, the sufficiency deals in the areas of the spiritual, moral, and ethical things of life.

19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should show pity or compassion - "To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend" - but I have found by experience that many people seeking 'counseling' prefer to find someone who will 'feel their pain' above finding the Bible answer to their problem.
    The Bible is our all sufficient rule of faith and practice - "16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." II Timothy 3.

We must be born again, because the natural man does not understand Spiritual things (I Cor. 2:9-14) - "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth..." John 16:13a.

20. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

Yes the Bible has the answers for any problem that you have. You just have to look hard to find them at times. People study theology thier entire life, and still do not know everything the Word of GOD has to say. It's why it's God's word. It never ages. It's always new to someone who is really wanting to learn. [​IMG]

God Bless