1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who wins souls?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a previous post John of Japan made a comment that sparked my interest in his reference to a book called the Soul Winner. I have not read this one cover to cover just bits and pieces. However I have read the John R Rice book "The Soul winner." A good book but the author does not believe God to be the ultimate soul winner.

So who wins souls you or God? Do you believe in John 6:44? God is the soul winner and no man can come to him unless he is drawn to salvation by God. If God does not draw him then he will not come to God no matter how hard and prepared the soul winner is.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves souls. He is not the ultimate one. He is the ONLY one. He does ask that we go, tell, baptize, disciple, .... evangelize.

But God does the saving/winning.

Can you cite for me the page no. in that book where John R. Rice says that he does not believe that God is the ultimate soul winner?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise. -Proverbs 11:30

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves souls through the means of people preaching the Gospel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have wondered if the author of the book of Proverbs had evangelism in mind.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there is a misunderstanding of "winning souls."

There are two different words used in Proverbs. One is translated as catch/take/win; the other is translated as deliver/save.

The "soul winner" does his best to proselytize, to persuade, to "win over"; and his/her only role in making Christians is to preach the Gospel, and let the unsaved know what hope and salvation could be theirs. The soul winner does not deliver/save.

The deliverance, the saving, is done by God and God alone.

Of course, the hard-core "reformed" will take issue with this explanation, because how can a man persuade another "to Christ"?

The misunderstanding is that God uses the soul winner to draw the unsaved to Him. Thus, God still draws them, and the "reformed" can be satisfied that it is still God who plays the whole part in the process.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The language comes from Paul, who said to the weak he became weak, to "win the weak" that he (Paul) "might save some". So the question could be asked, did Paul win souls for Christ? If so, then we are not as idle as your argument might suppose. If not, then Scripture is wrong. I understand God working through us, and "not I but Christ", but I think you are pressing this to an unbiblical point. I hope that you "might save some" brother.

• Like Like x 1
  8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. We do our part and God does his part. But only the elect will respond.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duh!!!!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, that was Scripture, not my opinion. Your disagreement is not with me.

Other than calling him wrong, how would you have corrected Paul?

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read John 6:44

12. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's so obvious as your post suggest, why start a whole thread arguing against what I posted?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We preach the gospel and God uses us to win souls. But.... He does not need us to win souls, however he chooses to use us.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying John 6:44 cancels 1 Corinthians 9? If so, you are horribly mistaking.

Here is your misunderstanding:

Paul winning souls and saving people points to Paul's work in the Kingdom. The Bible uses these words so we can't deny them. But this doesn't mean Paul apart from God. I think you want to remove Paul from the work because you have been working so hard without much result. I believe this is why you reject 1 Corinthians 9. But Paul saw winning souls (saving men) as his purpose - not because it was either Paul or God but because it was Christ in him and him in Christ.

This is why I can affirm both Jesus' words in John 6:44 AND Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 9. God is working through Paul, and God's Word does not come back void. It is also Paul's work in the Kingdom. I believe your denial of such human responsibility, because of your lack of visible confirmation, is why you deny 1 Corinthians 9. Such liberalism in interpretation is wrong, brother. 1 Corinthians 9 is just as much God's word as is John 6, and neither contradict the other.

1 Corinthians 9:18-24 (NASB)

What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.

Don't look for excuses. Don't look to excuse yourself from the race. Run in such a way that you may win. This involves caring and ownership, not obeying how you want to obey and ignoring the result. It means putting your all into whatever God calls you to accomplish.

#15 JonC, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree with 1 Cor 9 nor reject it. It's all scripture and all flows together.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet you already have. When I presented you with 1 Corinthians 9 the first time your reply to me was "wrong".

Paul said that he sought to win those under the Law and win those not under the Law. Paul said he sought to save the lost. You say this is "wrong". If Paul were alive today how would you address his "false" statements?

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you agree with soul winning. Great!

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the thread title and then my grandfather's name referenced. Just to be clear here, John R. Rice did not write a book with the title, The Soul Winner. That was Spurgeon. The books Rice wrote on personal evangelism are, The Soul Winner's Fire, The Golden Path to Successful Personal Soul Winning, and Great Truths for Soul Winners.

Carry on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.