1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will.—Ephesians 1:11

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Wesley Briggman, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles H. Spurgeon
    August 2, 2019
    Morning Reading
    Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will.
    Ephesians 1:11
    Our belief in God's wisdom supposes and necessitates that He has a settled purpose and plan in the work of salvation. What would creation have been without His design? Is there a fish in the sea, or a fowl in the air, which was left to chance for its formation? Nay, in every bone, joint, and muscle, sinew, gland, and blood-vessel, you mark the presence of a God working everything according to the design of infinite wisdom. And shall God be present in creation, ruling over all, and not in grace? Shall the new creation have the fickle genius of free will to preside over it when divine counsel rules the old creation? Look at Providence! Who knoweth not that not a sparrow falleth to the ground without your Father? Even the hairs of your head are all numbered. God weighs the mountains of our grief in scales, and the hills of our tribulation in balances. And shall there be a God in providence and not in grace? Shall the shell be ordained by wisdom and the kernel be left to blind chance. No; He knows the end from the beginning. He sees in its appointed place, not merely the corner-stone which He has laid in fair colours, in the blood of His dear Son, but He beholds in their ordained position each of the chosen stones taken out of the quarry of nature, and polished by His grace; He sees the whole from corner to cornice, from base to roof, from foundation to pinnacle. He hath in His mind a clear knowledge of every stone which shall be laid in its prepared space, and how vast the edifice shall be, and when the top-stone shall be brought forth with shoutings of "Grace! Grace! unto it." At the last it shall be clearly seen that in every chosen vessel of mercy, Jehovah did as He willed with His own; and that in every part of the work of grace He accomplished His purpose, and glorified His own name.

This has been brought to you by the following ministries: Blue Letter Bible

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op assumes something not proven that free will is not or cannot be determined by God. Therefore the op is faulty.

3. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op being Charles Spurgeon?

Since it cannot be proven that free will is not or cannot be determined by God, then free will is a myth. Glad for your insight and acknowledge that God is in control.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone who holds to free will acknowledges that God is in control. to say other wise is a myth.. Would you please clarify your first sentence?

5. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The op (me?) did not assume anything, therefore I thought you were referring to Spurgeon as the op.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alrighty then:Rolleyes

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the arts and sciences of metaphysics "free will" cannot exist since we cannot speak of that which we know nothing about including giving it a label.

It therefore must exist at least on an academic level.

8. Samuels

Samuels Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a heads-up ...

Are you aware that Paul was writing to
    "the faithful" believers in the church at Ephesus?
    All of those wonderful descriptions of who they were, etc.!

IMO, he was NOT really writing to the unfaithful believers!

Ditto for his letter to the Colossian church.

Please note that he gave warnings even to them
    about the results of (habitual) sinning ...
    to try to keep them on the straight and narrow.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What, exactly is an "UNfaithful believer"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

" Shall the new creation have the fickle genius of free will to preside over it when divine counsel rules the old creation? "

Ultimately God must create free will if he wants to talk to someone else for a change.

11. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you need to address that question to the likes of Dr. Spurgeon since it exceeds my comprehension. (The statement also.):Rolleyes

12. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps you need to address God with your response since it exceeds my volition.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet If we ask the Lord for eternal life He is more than willing to give it to those who ask. Jesus Him Self said so
    Joh 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
    Then Later said;
    Joh 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
    You see all we have to do is ask for eternal life.
    This is my definition of being free to Choose Christ.
    MB

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exhaustive Determinism is as bogus as a three dollar bill.
    God causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass. God allows us to make plans within His boundaries.

God sets before us the choice of life or death, and begs us to choose life. Obviously He does not compel us either way.

Deu 30:19
    “I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

"If thou knewest the gift of God...."

Jesus Knows His Bible.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 7:21 KJV - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 7:22 KJV - Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    Mat 7:23 KJV - And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jesus's response to this man's inquiring about entry into heaven does not comport with your stated understanding: "You see all we have to do is ask for eternal life." Your conclusion is not supported by scripture.
    Luk 18:22 KJV - Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Eph 2:4 KJV - But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
    Eph 2:5 KJV - Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Col 2:13 KJV - And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

A soul that is dead to the influence of the God of heaven is influenced by the Prince of the power of the air: Satan.
    Therefore, that soul is easily deceived to believe that by naming the name of Jesus and asking for eternal life, it is granted to him.

The Holy Spirit must quicken (bring to life in relation to God) a soul to begin the process of being born-again into the family of God. A soul that is dead (separated from God) in trespasses and sin cannot quicken it's self!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would do you well sir to apply the scriptures you quote to your self. I'm positive of where I'll be when I die The Holy Spirit with in me tells me so. One thing for certain sir no scripture supports your Calvinism. It's all in your head. It's called imagination.
    MB

18. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Knows His Bible.

"Who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will."
    Ephesians 1:11

"If thou knewest the gift of God...."

It is God Who Works and Gives the Gift, after The Counsel of His OWN WILL,

or Spiritually dead sinners remain Spritually dead sinners, lost in their sins, dead in trespasses and sins, in a dead State with NO ABILITY to relate to God, Who is Spirit, and by dead, I mean, "dead", and God Means, "dead".

Let the dead bury the dead.

The blind follow the blind.

"If the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.." Ecclesiastes 11:3

• Like Like x 1
  19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All nonsense
    MB

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, a pattern of absurdity, nonsense, and falsehoods festooned with rabbit trails to oblivion.