1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who's your favorite person in the Bible and why ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by west, Apr 6, 2005.

1. west

west New Member

Other then the Lord of course !

2. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Joseph. Because of the amazing Christ-like forgiveness he demonstrated towards his brothers. "ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good". [​IMG]

3. west

west New Member

He's mine to Victoria !

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Daniel. I admire his devotion and unwavering integrity. I wish I loved God as much.

King David as well. I relate to his meditations in the Psalms.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Wow, there are so many. I think Daniel and Jeremiah would have to be mine.

6. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Peter - I can identify with his big, boisterous exterior and all his failings, but also in Christ's forgiveness and restoration of Peter. Bruce

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

John, the disciple whom Jesus loved.

I think John understood more than many just how much Jesus loved us! John felt that love and had a wonderful friendship with Jesus.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Paul's boldness, intellect and focus on Christ.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Peter,with all of his failings he always knew where to turn.

10. Barbrie

Barbrie New Member

Job would be my favorite person. Though he was tried by fire, as I call it, his faith was steadfast and strong. Thru all the trials of my life I have often thought of Job and everything he went through and yet he continued to believe and trust in God.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rahab, the harlot, for her incredible faith that caused her to mentioned in Matthew, Hebrews, and James.

She has always been my favorite.

She was such a fascinating woman and became King David's great-great grandmother and Ruth's NEW mother-in-law.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barzillai. An old man who had the character to do right, bless God with his life, and then pass the honor that HE could have received on to his children.

13. csmith

csmith New Member

David: He was a broken and battered man, yet he was humble when finally exalted and was able to shed loyalty to God.

14. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

My O.T. favorite it Daniel, his faith and devotion was fearless, he never wavered even when faced with the lion's den. [​IMG] My N.T.favorite is John, he stuck by Jesus to the very end and his devotion was fearless. John stayed by Mary's [and JESUS's] side all of the way to the very foot of the cross. John was truly a great friend to CHRIST and to CHRIST's family, at least he was to Mary. John's faith, love, devotion and courage makes him a man I would definetly want to have on my side !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] --------------sheila [​IMG]

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Scarlett;

HUH?

Rahab was Ruth's new mother in law? I thought Rahab live a few centuries before that. See the book of Joshua.

My favorite OT character was Abraham. He had his failings but through it all he was called the friend of God. He also was our example for BOTH justifications available to us. One for salvation, the other for position in the Kingdom of Christ. The former required only belief. The latter required action.

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 1:5

"....And Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth....."

There are five women in Matthew's genealogy.

Tamar - who had to pose as a prostitute to reclaim her role in her husband's family (although that was WAY the WRONG decision)

Rahab - who was outright a prostitute

Ruth - who was innocent, but nonetheless a Moabite women, and God said in the book of Numbers that for His people to intermarry with Moabites would be considered whoredom..her marrying Boaz was an example of God's forgiveness and mercy

the wife of Uriah (Bathsheba) - who was a victim of a man behaving as a sexual predator...she was treated as a prostitute by King David in his relentlessness to have her even though he knew who she was and his sending her back home the next day like yesterday's trash

Mary the mother of Jesus - who found favor with God, but even her own espoused husband, for a short season, did not not beleive her...and you can guess what some people called her...

Interesting...is it not?

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Scarlett, did it never occur to you that Rahb the harlot and Rahab the mother of Boaz were TWO different women?

It was about 300 years (give or take a few decades) between the events in Joshua and Boaz's birth.

:rolleyes:

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has it occurred to you that she could be?

I am not a bible scholar and I do not claim to know everthing. But I think that I am right in this case and here is why.

My study bible (Life Application Bible) says that the Israelites conquered and entered the Promised Land in 1406 B.C.

It also says that the time of the judges began in 1375 B.C.

That a difference of 31 years at a minimum.

The book of Ruth begins by saying, "In the time of the judges....".

I think it is quite conceivable that Rahab, the harlot is the Rahab of Matthew 1:5.

Here's something else to think about.

Why would God leave out these women?...Sarah, Rebeka, Leah...and include some "unknown" Rahab into Jesus' genealogy?

To incorporate an unknown woman and leave out three women whose stories were outlined in great detail seems odd to me.

One more thing...Since your post, I have been looking EVERYWHERE on the net for some evidence that they are not the same women.

All I get is sermons and commentaries in abundance that they are.

I'm not saying that I am an unmovable stone on this issue...I am just saying that the probability of the Rahab of Matthew's genealogy being the same Rahab whose faithful testimony permeates both the Old and New Testament is quite high.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

19. Servent

Servent Member

Paul,He never gave up.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett, you are correct. Same Rahab. Don't believe that 300 years nonsense - you're on the right track.