1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whose morality should we legislate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

In another thread the question was asked if we should try to legislate morality.
    But it is not if but whose morality and how much?

The state can only legislate actions. It can't change hearts.
    They can only protect people by punishing the evil doer, they can't force the evildoer to have a good heart.

God has given civil government a very limited role. That role IS to enforce a level of morality, a level required by God.
    When they try to legislate their own ideas of morality, they become tyrants and are no longer just rulers.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Mine of course! Haven't you learned by now that I am always right and that if everyone would only do things my way the world would be a better place? ;)

So there in lies the problem. We have billions of people who all think the world would better if.

Our country has decided on laws that protect the majority of our citizens. Is it a perfect system? No. Do some things we think should be law (abortion?) get left out? Yes.

Asking who can be a selfish question and leads to selfish results. Asking what laws will benefit the majority of people while considering HOW those laws will affect the minority is a much better bet so long as we live in this imperfect world.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Fortunately, we are not left to what we think is best.
    The Bible lays out the purpose of government. It does not layout every last detail but it gives principle.
    Any law that is against that principle is bad law.

So, my opinion and your opinion do not count.

Only God's does.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm easy. Hers.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please state that principle and where it is found in scripture.

peace to you:praying:

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

God told us to support both good and evil governments. There is no restriction on the government. The restrictions are on our own individual acts and standards of morality.

7. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

BY THE WAY, I completely agree with you on this, so please accept this question in that context....

Where does the resistance to slavery in the U.S. fall in that answer? Most acts were civil disobedience, I know. Is it because the ones doing the disobeying of the government believed that slavery violated God's moral law? I've seen many references through the years to the effect that was not a "valid" point because slavery was not condemned in the Bible--only being a cruel master received condemnation.

Or does it fall under the heading of "applying the spirit of the law, rather than the letter"? And realizing that God equipped us with brains and that He also knew that societies would rise, fall, and change throughout human history, and He entrusted us with His Spirit granting us wisdom to make the best choices as societies change?

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Whoa! Then you have just made government in to god!

PLease read Psalm 2.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

psss.... She's a woman don't ya know. Surely you aren't implying your one of them fancy "feminized" men who don't mind us womenfolk to have an opinion. :saint:

Okay, more to the point of the op. MK is correct. Dale the Bible does lay out principles for Christians to live by. It does not designate how secular governments are to be constructed. in a perfect world all law would equate to God's law, but we do not live in a perfect world. Which is why Paul wrote Romans 13, IMHO.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Of course women can have an opinion. In fact, everyone has a right to my opinion. ;)

Wait, I think I just contradicted myself.

11. menageriekeeper

Awww! I come back to thread and lo and behold everyone has accepted me as the ultimate opinion. I needed the vote of confidence too cause I've been surrounded by teenage girls for the last almost 8 hours and they're not going home till tommorrow.

Then I read this:

Traitor!!!!!

:laugh:

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, what I meant was, "everyone has a right to dictate my opinion". Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what I meant. Yeah.

(Did it work?)

13. menageriekeeper

Ahhh! I feel much better now! Thank you!

Now, where shall I start with my dictatorial rules?

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Your "Hubby" isn't up for the challenge---dictate to him and see if it works!!!

Take out the garbage!
    Mow the grass!
    Fix the commode!
    How come this door squeeks?? Fix it!
    Paint the house!
    Wash the car!
    Feed the cat----no, wait!!! Don't do that!!!:laugh:

15. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Another thread bitten by the, "everybody wants to be a comedian" bug.

Pathetic and sad.

16. menageriekeeper

I'd try that Blackbird, 'cept I've already done or made the child labor do all those things(well except painting the house). Plus, he entertained 4, 15 year old girls and 2, 12 year old boys for half the night last night. He's exhausted! :D

No, I think my first order of business it to declare that everyone must practice finding something good in everything they experience. There is something in the Bible about dwelling on the good and joy is declared to be a fruit of the spirit. There are folks on this board who seem to think that a sense of humor is a bad thing. I believe that dwelling on good things for a while will stop the unnecessary negativity going on in the hearts of some.

So I declare it, so it must be!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only morality that a government should legislate it that of making sure that one's person's unalienable rights are not interfered with by another person.

18. menageriekeeper

What rights do you consider to be inalienable, Ken?

<see Cutter, I can be serious>

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

- from the U.S. Declaration of Independence

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Quite simple isn't it Ken?
    I am not sure what it so hard about it other than so many which to impose their opinions on others.