1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why a Baptist should not run for political office:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this on FB - a person complains about the current administration -
    and then asked why he doesnt run for office:

As a citizen of the Kingdom of God, I do not qualify to run for office in Babylon. I am sojourning there as a foreigner and a stranger in a strange land, but I am close enough to see and perceive...

When I was in Bible College, Studies would start out like this: "Galatians 5:4 says, 'You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.' Now many would say that being severed from Christ and falling from grace is to lose your salvation. As Baptists we know that you cannot lose your salvation, so if it does not mean that, what else do you think it might mean?"

The same thing was true of America. You could not possibly be a good Christian if you did not support the United States of America and everything that she did… There was very little difference between the Flag and the Cross… as Baptists, we knew that…

How many Scriptures have become meaningless to you because you filtered them through some kind of denominational distinctive?

There are only two powers that anyone can follow.
    1. If you believe in Jesus, repent of your sin and ask for salvation, you start to follow Jehovah.
    2. If you have not done that, you are following the Devil/Lucifer/Satan...

There is no middle ground or third choice. You either belong to Jesus Christ or you belong to the Devil.

You can be a bad, lost, Hell-bound sinner or you can be a not quite that bad, lost, Hell-bound sinner.

When we as Born-Again, Bible-believing Christians, start calling the very best of Hell-bound sinners "good" and following them and believing in them and telling others how wonderful they are and how they have saved us from a worse Hell-bound sinner, we do err, and that gravely...

There are earthly governments, all of which belong to Babylon and the Babylonian system, and there is the Kingdom of God. The United States is Babylon the Great and the chief nation in the Babylonian System. You can choose to belong to Babylon and function and believe in that system or you can get out of Babylon and attach yourself to the Kingdom of God. Baptists told me I could be a dual citizen but that is contrary to both Scripture and the laws of the United States.

Open for discussion

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to Daniel and Joseph.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same argument can be made for police officers, firefighters, school teachers, conservation officers...anyone who has a job with a federal, state, local government.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If their premise is true, then separating elected officials from hired/appointed employees of "Babylon" is a meaningless distinction.

ETA: Lol, Canadyjd, you beat me to the punch. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said it much gracefully.

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, but the checkered flag was yours. :Biggrin

And thank you for the kind words.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure where the author got the idea that anyone thinks the US can do no wrong or that we support all that the US does, unconditionally. That is pure poppycock.

There is an old saying that most people quote incorrectly:
    “My country, right or wrong."

But too many leave off the important part of the quote:
    "if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”
    Carl Schurz, 1872.

Not only can Christians be involved in politics, it is required of us, to support that which is right and correct that which is wrong.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Wingman68

Wingman68 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good morning, Salty, Good to see you & hope things are on the upswing for you & your wife, we have all been praying for you. Say it isn’t so that you are on fb ;)

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Daniel or Joseph were volunteers. Daniel was taken captive and Joseph was sold into slavery.

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about Esther, then?:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But even they refused to sin when commanded to.
    If it is really such a great sin for men like this to be in service of “Babylon” or the world system, then I’m sure they both would have refused to serve and suffered the consequences like a Daniel in the lions den or with the prayer order and like the 3 Hebrew children refusing to bow down to Nebuchadnezzar’s idol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just pointing out that they did not choose to enter into "politics" on their own.

A Christian can serve honorably in politics.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: The story of Esther might be an apt parallel to a Christian entering politics.

(1) Getting drafted into a harem -- Esther 2:2-4
    (2) Taught the ways of cosmetics (changing one's natural appearance) -- Esther 2:9
    (3) One of many who were brought into the king's chambers, one-by-one, for an all-night "interview" to see who could please the king better than the rest.
    (4) And after all of the women were "interviewed," being picked as the one who would hold a high office because you satisfied the king's desires the best. (I wonder, did the king give up his harem? Apparently they were still around after the coronation, see Esther 2:19)

Good can come out of it, but it is a difficult thing to do with integrity.

#14 Baptist Believer, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, many of the Founders, as well as the States themselves once a United States, saw the best qualified to do such were Christians!
    We are to be lightswhre god has placed us to be, are to have fail and biblical laws, where better to have that happen that with godly mena nd women in the sewer of politics?

16. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually a Christian who is a citizen of the US is already holding government authority. He is a member of the electorate, which is the most powerful elector on earth. His duties are to vote among other things. You'd have to renounce your citizenship to not be involved in politics. I don't think that's what God's called us to do.

• Winner Winner x 1