1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are the "Super Rich" supporting Obama?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

This comes from the person who said earlier that the government helping poor folks is just as good as the church helping them.

[QUOTE-LeBuick, on helping the poor through government vs. helping through the Church]
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other.
    [/QUOTE]

If "conservative" means that the Bride of Christ is a better vehicle of carrying out the commands of Jesus than government handouts, then I wear that badge proudly.

Undoubtedly, you see God's church and the US government on equal footing.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Now that you've brought it up....yes, I'm a conservative.

I'm conservative because I believe our founding Fathers, who formed this great country, saw that oppression by the nanny state brought about the worst in nations and their people.

I'm conservative because I've been poor, and in danger of being homeless. But I was proud enough to work like a dog and provide for myself. Now, I seek to help others with a hand up...but it's my help, not taken from me at gunpoint by people who don't share my values. And my help is not the self-perpetuating help for help's sake that government provides--it's the essence, rather than the empty slogan, of "a hand up, not a hand out."

I'm conservative because I've seen the fallacy of giving to people with no strings attached, an no expectations of self-reliance in the future. I've lived in West Alabama and seen the scourge of the third-generation welfare family--no initiative, no shame in living off others, and no sense of responsibility. God made us to work, not mooch.

I'm conservative because I've seen government screw up almost everything it touches. In my opinion, goverment is good for infrastructure, self-defense, and ensuring safety and liberty. Nothing more. I don't need government telling me how many gallons my toilet can flush. I don't need government telling me how much salt to put on my eggs. I don't need government telling me that my youth cannot pray out loud over their meals, or gather before school to read the Bible together.

I do need government to keep our borders safe, ensure liberty and justice for all, and provide the most basic infrastructure of our society.

If they'll do that, then the 95% of the blood-suckers in DC and other governmental beehives can march right out of there, to the nearest short pier, and keep walking. I'll be fine, because I'm an American, and I'm conservative. Those able-bodied souls who have lost the ability to think for themselves, do for themselves, and exist by their own industry will figure it out pretty quickly, or they will reap the rewards of their own slothfulness. Those who cannot fend for themselves--may God's people fulfill their responsibility, which they have ceded to government, and provide for those in truest need.

If this offends you, then try just one of my conservative principles--build a bridge and get over it. You just might begin to like it.

(c) 2008 Rbell.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

[arrogance] Dang. That there was good. [/arrrogance]

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach it brother, preach it!!!!!!

All A-1, but my pick that sums it up:
    Tis a shame that so many are blinded to this one simple fact!!!
    But it's just as I said in another post, "LIBERALISM IS A FATAL DISEASE!"

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Great post, I can respect anyone who at least knows why he is what he is.

I don't advocate welfare in the traditional sense, I worry mostly for the children. I want them to be fed and have a decent chance of making it DESPITE the example that was set.

I do agree here, I do wish we'd seal up the borders but I guess the cost would be enormous.

Perhaps I can build my bridge toward yours so we can unite somewhere in the middle and focus on the true enemies of our nation instead of each other. Enemies like evil, poverty, hunger and we must not forget Osama...

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

A nice post for us to meet over, LB.

LeBuick, and others, it's been a pleasure. The medicine is taking over so I better run before I make no sense whatsoever (critics: There's your opening!)

Looks like multiple vertebral spinal fusion's on the docket in the next week or three. (for the medical junkies: Isthmic Grade III Spondyloisthesis L1, L5) for the non-junkies: Back's sore. I hope the sore back didn't translate my thoughts into Grumpy Post Disorder (GPD). If it did, my sincerest apologies.

But thanks for helping me pass the night away guys, and keeping my mind off the pain.

Blessings. :wavey:

RB