1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are there so many pastors active on the Baptist Board?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mioque, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

Why are there so many pastors active on the Baptist Board?
    On the other hand. Why are there so few deacons/elders active on the Baptist Board?
    There are decidedly more of those out there.
    Not only that, but many pastors have a very heavy workload leaving them little time to participate in a message board.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

I've always heard that all preachers do is prepare their sermons. That would give them plenty of time to be here.

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Don't they only work two days a week? [​IMG]

4. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

And then we have two guys to collect all the money. :D

Seriously though, for me it is an opportunity to see different viewpoints on issues from my brothers and sisters in Christ; who love the Lord as much as I do, but have different "takes" on some issues...

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why are there so many pastors active and not so many elders? An elder is a pastor. There are the same number of pastors active as there are elders. THere are also quite a few deacons, I believe.

But my answer is that pastors are theologians and looking for theological interaction. This board has been a great learning experience for me, to see how people think and how they come to their conclusions. I find myself stunned at times in this respect. I come back to see where people not in the ministry are living and thinking.

To address the second and third posts, most pastors I know of put in 60+ hours a week, a great deal of it on nights and weekends.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For 50 cents per hour too. It's good thing the IRS helps them out with a housing allowance.

7. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Why are there so many pastors active and not so many elders? An elder is a pastor. There are the same number of pastors active as there are elders. THere are also quite a few deacons, I believe.

But my answer is that pastors are theologians and looking for theological interaction. This board has been a great learning experience for me, to see how people think and how they come to their conclusions. I find myself stunned at times in this respect. I come back to see where people not in the ministry are living and thinking.

To address the second and third posts, most pastors I know of put in 60+ hours a week, a great deal of it on nights and weekends.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I know that I could not put in the hours that my Pastor puts in, albeit he is quite a few years younger than I. I believe he gets approximately 3 - 4 hours of sleep a night. I get these figures, not from what he has told me, but from what I have heard from others and observed personally.

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

How many hours does it take a preacher to walk 18 on a good day?

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Depending on the crowd, I can do it in about 2 hours. But when you play at 6am, the crowd is pretty light. :D

10. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Most deacons and elders do not have jobs where they are unsupervised and able to do what they want all day, including surfing the net and setting their own hours.

Pastors who claim they are slaving away all day at their office need to remember that the times of their posts are displayed here. :eek:

MR

11. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

MR,

I'm not really sure as to the tone of your post, but perhaps one needs to walk a couple of miles in someone elses shoes ere we pass judgement.

For me, this is an interesting diversion/pastime. A chance to let myself recoup from the rigors of the ministry.....But let there never be any doubt as to my priorities as an undershepherd of God's flock.

Most pastors I know put in far, far more than a 40 hour hour work-week.

For most, getting a 2:30 a.m. call to attend to a dying man in the hospital, or a night call to minister to the family that just had their house burn down is the exception.....For many pastors it is the rule........Don't equate a man's work to the hour of the day.....We don't quit at 5:00 p.m.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

And those who are concerned need to remember that the times pastors start work in teh morning and quit in the evening are not posted here either.

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

A week in the life of a preacher

Sun: 9am-12:01pm & 5pm-7:01pm = 5 hrs 2 min
    Mon: 10am-2:30 & Visitation 6-7 = 5 hrs 30 min
    Tue: 9am-2:30 & PM Mtg 7-8:30pm = 7 hrs
    Wed: 8am-12noon & 6pm-8:01pm = 6 hrs 1 min
    Thu: 8am-1:30pm = 5 hrs 30 min
    Fri: 9am-12noon = 3 hrs
    Sat: Off

Factor in 28 hrs and several minutes for fishing, surfing and golf. There's your 60+ hours. After all that, you need a break.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Deacons don't come here because they cannot read.

:rolleyes:

Not really. :D

I think pastors and whoever---need some form of release. The BB is better than drinking beer.

15. terriloo

terriloo New Member

I personally think it's wonderful that pastors HAVE this place "to go to", where they can find like-minded AND un-likeminded individuals to interact with, to unwind, to learn something new, to get that "different slant" on an issue.

Pastors need spiritual, emotional, and mental sustenance just as much as they need food for their bodies--and they certainly need and DESERVE it as much (if not more than) those of us who are NOT pastors.

I don't have a current church home, but visit my dad's church frequently. His pastor is ALWAYS "on call"--he personally sat with me and my family while my dad lay at death's door all night after a car wreck several years ago. I have heard from everyone that I've spoken to at that church how this pastor truly "ministers" to his flock. He certainly doesn't punch a time card like I do, and then gets to go home and put his feet up on Friday until Monday morning!

16. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Saggy, that's quite an observation! [​IMG] Gib, I take it you've had some bad experiences with lazy pastors. You seem a little harsh toward men in the ministry.

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

Nah, I'm just poking at Pastor Larry. :rolleyes:

18. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I was wondering when the decision was made to hire additional staff, and now I know. When the job demands start cutting into the 28 hours and several minutes for fishing, surfing and golf, is that when an Associate Pastor is called? [​IMG]

19. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

You have time to go to the bathroom???? [​IMG]