1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are there so many sick christians today?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, May 22, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

There is also a Gift of Faith granted purely on the Merits of God's Grace and Mercy...

And, there are unilateral Sovreign Acts of Healing simply because God is God...

I have been in Worship Services where God Healed without the elders, without prayer for the sick, simply because He was God and wanted to bless one of His Children...

Granted it's a bit 'distracting' to be in the middle of Worship and have someone scream out in joy that the pain is gone...

But, I've been in those services. we all knew the woman had been to doctor after doctor, she'd been prayed for numerous times. All without success...

Then one day we are singing Praise to God and God Heales her... Go figure...

Bro. Bob, I hear you man! Good Post!

SMM

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well according to Copeland and Myers all we got to do is but speak it into reality and it will happen.

According to Hinn we just need to show up to his healing service. (but you need to be hand picked)

According to the Pentecostals "By his stripes we are promised healing"

But according to the bible it happens to glorify God.

3. SpiritualMadMan

Yes, I've heard that all my life.

And, been made to feel guilty about it, too!

But, the truth is, is that not everyone got or gets healed...

Yes, our own doubt can prevent our healing...

The Evangelists doubt can, too! After all if you need him to stand in the gap for you and he ain't got it himself...

And, God remains Sovreign. He has the right to heal or not heal entirely at His discretion...

Of, course, I believe Prayer changes things. And, that if I care enough to offer a Hannah's Prayer. I may, yet, get my petition...

Where there's life there is hope.

I have heard some *really* good sermons that the Healing His stripes bought us were for Sin's Sickness...

Not, physical healing.

Peter quotes this verse for Salvation not Physical healing. 1 Peter 2:24

Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
    Isaiah 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

The Hebrew for 'Grief' includes malady (which could be a Sickness); anxiety (which non of the Televagelist will offer Jesus came to heal us of. As we are supposed to be Faith free of them anyway!); and calamity (that could intimate miraculous deliverance?)

The Hebrew of 'Sorrows' includes Anguish (Again we are supposed to be 'above' *that*); and afflictions (which could be either sickness or oppression by people or the devil).

SMM

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Music4Him, Bro Bob, SMM, RevMitchell,
    All of you made good points, Thanks.

2 things are clear.
    1) Lord works even today for healing.
    2) That's not the way how Benny Hinn ( Ben Hinnom?) or other guys like him cheat the people today.

God works in His style at His time, for His people when they obey His commandments.
    We need a deeper understanding and the strong faith. There are good reasons when God doesn't answer yet. He answers to our prayer for the sins first, thereafter He heals many wounds in our heart.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

xdisciplex said "Are you saying Jesus only healed to show his power and not because he wants us to be healed!?!?!?
    Are you saying God has "no interest" in me being healed because there is nothing more to demonstrate right now?"

didn't paul have a 'thorn in his side' ?

6. SpiritualMadMan

There was a specific reason why God didn't heal Paul of the 'Thorn'

2 Corinthians 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

:D At least Paul knew the 'why', and was willing to agree with God as regards to his weakness...

SMM

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

How about old age? How long has it been since we heard that? [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

8. SpiritualMadMan

Hey! Wait just a minute there young feller...

I resemble that remark! :D

SMM

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Yes and we also have the apostle Paul who prayed 3 times to be healed and look at what the Lord said...
    2Co 12:9-10
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    ==================================================

XDX~ There are reasons why some are sick and some are healed. But we can rest in knowing that God is still God.

I believe in healing, but even I had prayed for healing and wasn't healed every time, but during the times I was sickly I gradually got better. Now there were a several times that I had prayed or was prayed for that I recieved healing also. I don't know why the Lord heals sometimes and not another time. The blind man was healed but before he was healed the disciples asked if it was his sin orhis parents sin that caused him to be blind? Jesus told them it was "that the works of God should be made manifest in him". (John 9)
    </font>[/QUOTE]I know how you feel, I am going through something right at this time and have been praying and praying for God to heal me. I dont know what He has in mind but its not easy during the time you are going through it to trust and to not think God doesnt hear you or doesnt care and so on.

In fact I dont know how the Apostle Paul could almost act like he was happy that he had "an infirmity". I always have an easier time of things after they are overwith and I can look back on them.

There really isnt any telling why sometimes God heals you and other times not. Maybe sometimes I think He is teaching you to have trust that He knows best, maybe to teach you patience, maybe because certain things will come about because of your illness that will end up helping you in some other way. Maybe its because He wants you to see and realize your weaknesses and to correct them.

Maybe God wants to teach you to lean on Him alone and learn to be happy just in Him even though you have nothing else besides Him.

Those are kind of the things Ive been going through and learning. I am nearly afraid to pray for anything lately because Im afraid of how God will decide to answer my prayers...

I was reading something in the Bible about the woman who was sick for 14 years or something like that then Jesus healed her... cant recall which story that was... but why in the world would God make this woman wait that long to be healed? I cannot figure that one out. There has to be some good reason for it Im sure.

I am happy to hear you did eventually get better though!

Claudia

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Eliyahu,

Yes I think God sometimes allows us to be sick for awhile so that we might slow down and think of Him and put Him first in our lives... sometimes God sees that we have to get things out of our lives or in our lives, etc...

Our souls and our eternal destiny are much more important than just our physical bodies.

Gekko told a story the other day about a Father and son and the son had an accident and a splinter went through his juggular vein in his neck.. so he was taking care of the splinter because the blood was gushing out and the little boy asked his father to take the splinter out of his finger... but the father ignored his request and kept on working on the thing that was sapping the life out of him, which was the splinter in his juggular vein.

(I probably didnt tell the story exactly right but you get the idea)..

Anyway its like that... our soul's condition needs attention FIRST and our physical bodies LATER.

That really helped me with what I am dealing with right now...

Claudia

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

What do you do if you have no elders to pray for you?

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you ask in faith believing it shall be granted. Pray for youself it works too!

13. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF it be God's will.....you will be healed.

Don't forget, sin brought on sickness and death.

14. SpiritualMadMan

But, not all sickness is a result of a persons sins...

While 'generic' sickness is a result of the fall...

People can be sick without 'looking for it'...

They are, in a very real sense, casualties of war...

SMM

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But when you don't know how to pray for healing and how to behave when you're not directly healed and all this then you can forget it then you end up like me. I feel like if you don't know exactly how to behave then you can totally forget about it then you will mess it up in a stress situation because then you will not simply stay cool and simply claim your healing. When you're really sick then it could be that you're not even able to pray because in this moment you might not even have faith to pray, the fear might be so strong that you can't even pray for yourself. And when I think about that in such a moment where I feel miserable and cannot even think clear that in this situation healing or not healing depends on me and my own faith then this is a very depressing thought! I don't want to depend on my own faith and my own ability to believe in such a situation.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I can truly identify with xdisciplex's predicament

I have wondered alot about that too. I mean, didnt Jesus heal lots of people TO GIVE THEM FAITH ???

When they saw Him healing people thats what made them have faith in Him...

So if you have to have faith in Him to heal you... well what do you do then?

Its really disturbing because you never know if you just didnt have enough faith or if its that Jesus just has other plans for you...

and, are you supposed to keep on asking?

are you supposed to make sure you are putting away all your sins?

If you dont get healed how will you ever know if its because of some sin you are hanging onto? What if you cant think of any more stuff you need to let go of?

How did Paul know after the third time asking for God to heal him that he should stop asking then?

Ive been really having a tough time lately wondering about all these things... it can be mentally torturous.

17. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Indeed.
    And do you know what sucks even more?
    Not even knowing the reason.
    Imagine I ask to be healed and God also wants to heal but let's say I lack faith. My faith is not enough and I am not healed then maybe I think that God doesn't heal anymore but the truth is he heals but I lacked faith. This way I even draw a wrong conclusion. This is just great. After all does Jesus not say that even the smallest amount of faith is enough? A mustard seed. Then how can you not have enough faith? :(
    I don't understand it. If I think about how it would have influenced my life if I had been healed back then then I can only see positive things. My faith would have gone through the roof, I could have gone to my family and could have shown it to them and maybe they would have marvelled about it. I can only think of positive things, but it didn't work. :confused:

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I think the mustard seed thing means QUALITY of faith and not Quantity

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Sometimes I think of Hezekiah.

2Kgs:20:7: And Isaiah said, Take a lump of figs. And they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered.

Hezekiah was sick and God told him a natural remedy to do. Too bad Job didnt know about that one!

isnt that something? Ive been trying that.

20. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Well, there are things which are chronic and also natural stuff doesn't work.