1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Let me repeat what I said....

There are no contradictions. NONE Becaue you don't understand does not mean there is contradictions.

It is not a paradox....there are two truths, One of which you are not able to get you head around, therefore you deny the power of God. That is a shame.

READERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

As is the case with most questions posed to this member, he never addresses them, but rather changes to another subject or verse.

Let me repeat….

I would be GLAD to address this verse....now please answer what I asked.

Notice the words… Master (despo,thj despotes)…. and bought ( avgora,zw agorazo).

The traditional non-Reformed interpretation is that the Master refers to “Jesus” and bought means “purchased” or “redeemed.” What we have is a redemptive passage wher Christ died for these men but they rejected Him as evidenced by their false teaching and hence brought condemnation to themselves.

On the surface the assumed interpretation sounds plausible. But what did Peter mean here? If we show case on one verse it seems to mean that.

Its much like a Jehovah’s Witness taking one verse… John 14:28

28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. “……is not the passage much easier to understand if we simply take it as it is written as therefore affirming that the Son is inferior to the Father?”

This is especially so when such proof-texting is detached from context such as the JWs do by divorcing John 14:28 from 14:1-27.

James White helps us here…
    NOW ONCE AGAIN ANSWER THIS...
    While you are at it, address the other verses too

:laugh:

I want you to address the verse I asked about....not dodge it.

Again..context context context...

Lets start with this. This is a good case where looking at the Greek would help. You are a KJV only. Please look and see if that word " the free gift came" is in italics. After you check that out, get back to me and we will look at context.

Now how about .....

Brothers...:tonofbricks:
    2For indeed we have had the glad tidings [Gospel of God] proclaimed to us just as truly as they [the Israelites of old did when the good news of deliverance from bondage came to them]; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because it was not mixed with faith (with [c]the leaning of the entire personality on God in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness) by those who heard it; [d]neither were they united in faith with the ones [Joshua and Caleb] who heard (did believe).

NOW...please dodge no long. This is typical of how you answer...which is not to answer anything. PLease please answer...not just the ONE verse you ran from, but all others.

Thanks...James

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

For those that may wonder what is missing...
    :tonofbricks:
    Why keep posting only part???????????

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jarthur:

these guys are not really interested in your answers, and they're not interested in answering your questions.
    you see, you (and I and others here who believe in the absolute sovereignty of God in ALL things) are, as far as they are concerned, the living dead, because we hold that we once were dead in sins in Adam, and now are alive in Christ, so what they want to do is to drive their righteous stakes through our hearts and reduce us to ashes.
    do you smell the garlic ? (sniff, sniff).
    be afraid, be very afraid.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he's not Arminian for nothing, and that is no reflection on Jacobus Arminius, only on his adherents (whether they admit it or not) or those who think they are Arminians, that's how they treat Scripture, small wonder they do that when quoting a Calvinist to prove that even some Calvinists think the way they do.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of his elliptically challenged agenda.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Gospel

Actual there is no contradiction. They fail to see the Gospel changes all that after Christ was glorified. Then whosoever can come to Jesus Christ.

Jesus word is Spirit and life so His word gives you the ability to walk away and continue in your death, or believe and have life.

See Jesus word is also the Fathers and His word is not His own but the Father who sent him, and that is how the Father draws us.

If you are just following a crowd then you have not been drawned by the Father.

The cross is the only place in all eternity that God and sinful man meet face to face. You can meet Christ there and come and He will in no wise cast you out.

Don't you just want to praise God that we do have the Key to knowledge and whosoever can enter.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

hello psalms....

Well ....I agree with you on these points...as all that have studied Scripture and theology would say...... There is indeed no contradiction. There is only truth and error.

Also it can be said that all that hear the gospel, it will change in some way. Most, will reject it, but the gospel still will change them.

Peace James..

BTW Psalms...I have seen growth in your post. Keep studying the Word, and God will teach you each day.

8. psalms109:31

scripture

You cannot believe in one side of the coin and not the other. In eph we learn about those who was chosen before the foundation of the world and then he goes on and says that God has also included those who heard the Gospel of our salvation having believed.

Then we see Paul talking to the elect and telling them about we need to make peace with everyone, then continued talking about these people not the elect. He says God wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. Then goes on and says he wasn't lying because just like people today they did not believe him.

#68 psalms109:31, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

First of all, you are quoting verse 19, not 12. And yes, God through Christ is reconciling all mankind to himself. He has satsified his justice in that sin has been paid for.

What you cannot grasp is that this free gift must be received. It is there and available for all, but only profits those who receive it by faith.

Considering 2 Peter 2:1 you said:

There's nothing on the surface about it. Peter is saying that the Lord bought these heretics. His blood paid for their sins.

Then you said:

Well, if you think I am misrepresenting 2 Peter 2:1, then tell me the proper interpretation if you think you know so much. You implied I was wrong but offered no alternate interpretation.

Actually, what Jesus said was true if properly understood. Jesus came down and took the form of a man, a servant, and in this position was less great than his Father.

Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself,
    and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

So, just another illogical argument from you. Because the Jehovah's Witnesses misinterpret John 14:28 you argue that I misinterpreted 2 Peter 2:1? Ridiculous. I could make this same ridiculous argument against anything you say.

Then concerning Romans 5:18 you said;

Who was asking about the free gift? I was asking you how the first "all men" can mean 100% of mankind, and the second "all men" in the very same verse can only mean a few elect men?

And of course you did not offer any explanation, just as you did not offer to explain 2 Pet 2:1. And I have seen this repeatedly from Calvinists, when you present scripture that clearly contradicts their doctrine, they ignore it and refuse to address it. You tried to change the focus of the question I asked, and made statements about "the free gift".

Why don't you answer the real question? How can the first "all men" mean 100% of mankind, and the second "all men" mean only a few men?

Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

I find your style of debate very disingenuous.

#69 Winman, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  10. psalms109:31

Lost

I believe we are lost in the wilderness and generation after generation is perishing until we do as God ask, believe Him.

One day we will and there will be amount that will come to Christ that can not be counted.