1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Baptists are not Protestant

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know, perhaps fear. Now I’m intrigued... the games a foot Jon!

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm cool with foot games. I'm freaky like that.:Speechless

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you so hep on Smythe starting the so-called "Baptist faith?" With some of his beliefs, I doubt there is on Baptist church today that would call Smythe as pastor. And later in life, he joined a Mennonite church! Same thing - with Roger Williams - even though he started, what probably is the very first Baptist church on the North America continent - ended up becoming a seeker. To tell you the Truth - I doubt any Baptist today considers Smythe as the founder of Baptists.

In the case of the "Eucharists" our Lord only died once.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Landmarker, so I do not believe Baptists can be traced back to the time of the Apostles. Baptists are a product of the Reformation and, thus, are Protestants.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adonia, may I point out to you that Baptist’s believe in salvation by grace. There are really only two positions that a person can occupy on this matter. One is that salvation is by grace, and the other is that salvation is by works. It cannot be a combination of the two. A person may say that he believes in salvation by grace, but if he sets forth any act of man's will, such as repentance, faith, baptism, or hearing the gospel, as a condition for obtaining it, then this position must be put on the works side. In other words, your catholism is intensely work’s based and that’s how you define yourselves. You must jump through the hoops of the sacraments in order to appease God. This is definitely not how my “religious society” views our relationship to Christ. Rather, it is He who does most of the heavy lifting for us. It is He, the Lord who provides saving grace so that we would be a new being.... thus born again.

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain to me your Landmark comment?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    really, then how do interpret sacred scripture? I was always told it was through RCC Magisterium so am I correct?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So back to Saltys origin question... what is a Protestant?

9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes Baptists are called third-wave Protestants. Actually, the RCC in Dominus Iesus said that Baptists were not proper churches so that should be your official position.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's my thinking also--that Baptist are a product of the Reformation. The first churches out were the Church of England and the Lutherans. That's the first wave. The second wave would be the Methodists and others who left the Church of England. The third wave would be Baptists and others who do not identify with the other two waves and who did not come from the first wave directly.

Notice that there really are three branches of Christianity because there are the Eastern Orthodox Churches, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Protestant denominations. The Eastern Orthodox left the RCC in 1054 and the Protestants a little over 500 years ago. Some people want to say Pentecostals are not Protestants but I think for convenience Pentecostals and Baptists are lumped into Protestants because they do not belong in the other two categories.

The RCC has had two schisms and is not appealing to Eastern Orthodox and not appealing to Protestants. I think the persecution of Protestants by the RCC and their authoritarian dictation to Catholic countries is repulsive. When I think of Catholic rulers, I think of Bloody Mary.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well we don’t identify as Catholics or any of the Eucharist churches... ie Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists.

We don’t identify with Presbyterians or any Reformed paedobaptists and/or Covenant Churches.

Again infant Baptist’s... that’s a no no. And we are not supposed to induct anyone without a born again profession of faith.

And never mind fighting with Catholics, I would be embarrassed that I would have to do battle with them in order to define myself... to me the best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better.

So I’m going to reject any suggestion that we Baptist’s ever had any background history with Protestants.

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I understand that point of view and many hold it so it is not so unusual but what do you say about the commonplace classification of the three divisions of Christianity:: Eastern Orthodox 1054, Roman Catholic, and Protestant (a little over 500 years ago)?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a Protestant denomination that is not sacramental? Are Reformed Protestants not pedo baptistic and Calvinistic? Do any of these Protestants stress born again salvation over church attendance? I can go on and on and on? How do you align yourself to Martin Luther and his persecution of Jews and Calvins influence in having decenters burn people at the stake? So these Protestants were representing Christ on earth? Frankly I would be ashamed to be part of them.

14. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Born Again --->

At what point in history did being born again become the moment when one decided to put down the bottle of Jack Daniel's?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter nonsense, faith is not counted as works. Calvinist doctrine on this point is as bogus as a three dollar bill.

Here is a link that might be useful:
    Why Baptists are NOT Protestants!

#35 Van, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Errrr, MacCallams

17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of my favorite Lutheran Satire videos is: Messing With Dispensationalist.

Lutheran Satire is hilarious!

18. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's a great one too!

Lutheran Satire has some great videos.

God bless and keep up the great work you are doing here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer this: simple & beautiful. My idea of Baptist’s!

20. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley was an Anglican and never wanted his Methodist Clubs to to separate from Canterbury.

• Agree Agree x 1