1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Biden is the Perfect Pick

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Aug 24, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why Biden is the Perfect Pick

By Reid Wilson

Barack Obama's campaign took far longer to pick his vice presidential nominee than many had anticipated. But after the wait, Obama realized the true importance of choosing a running mate: It is the only truly presidential decision any candidate gets to make before they are elected. By picking Joe Biden, Barack Obama passed that test.

But Biden meets the standard for a vice president. No one could credibly argue that the former chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the current chair of the Senate Foreign Services Committee and the American Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili called upon to help mediate an end to the crisis with Russia is unprepared to be president. Biden is one of the few who compares favorably with John McCain's Senate resume -- the Delaware Senator's two committee chairs were much more prominent than McCain's stints atop the Commerce and Indian Affairs panels.

He will guarantee a good debate performance as well. Of the zingers from the primary debates, Biden owned one of perhaps the two best lines -- that Rudy Giuliani's sentence structure consisted of "a noun and a verb and 9/11." (The other great shot would have been Mike Huckabee's shot at John Edwards' $400 haircut). Biden will not follow in tbe footsteps of Joe Lieberman or Edwards, both Democrats who were criticized for their weak debate performances, and McCain will be hard-pressed to find a running mate who can clearly beat Biden toe-to-toe.

- rest at www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/08/why_biden_is_the_perfect_pick.html

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I hate to admit Ken, cause I don't like to think I was wrong, but the more I read the more I think this may have been the right political choice.

Disclaimer to new readers - I DO NOT support Obama for president in any measure.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will add my own disclaimer - I have not decided whom to vote for; however, as I said yesterday Senator Obama's selection of Senator Biden is a huge plus in my mind. I remember thinking while watching the Democratic debates that if I was going to vote in the Democratic primary(instead of for Congressman Ron Paul in the GOP primary) that I would have voted for Senator Biden - based on his foreign policy.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm still not convinced that Biden is the best pick. Still not convinced that their admin would not run roughshod over the Constitution. Still not willing to say that this ticket is the end of civilization, though. So I'm in the minority around here all the way around :smilewinkgrin:

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Can I join your exclusive group?

6. targus

targus New Member

I have to admit to being a little bit confused over the excitment of Biden being picked for VP.

If he is the right guy why wasn't he more accepted by the voters when he was running for the nomination as President?

Obama picked the guy that got the least votes during the primaries.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm no expert on Joe Biden but from what I understand he's got some controversial issues to overcome. And this from the lame stream media. Evidently he's good at putting his foot in his mouth.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

What are the chances of Liberman being McCain's running mate? While I have trouble with Liberman's view on abortion rights he might make McCain a good running mate.

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my opinion, it is just plain dumb to pick a running mate who gave you so many negative jabs during a primary. The republicans have to be grinning from ear to ear.

The next dumb move will be if McCain does the same. I pray he is smart enough to stay away from those who cut him up in the primary and pick a solid conservative/pro-life governor. I hope all this talk about him picking a pro-murder VP is nonsense as well. If he does, this election is truly up for grabs for he will not get the Evangelical vote and with both candidates making dumb picks it will be anybody's ball game.

With this VP pick Obama has demonstrated his lack of foresight and this is a huge plus for McCain. We'll see if McCain makes the same dumb move.

God Bless!

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Senator Lieberrman is as liberal as Senator Obama and Senator Biden on domestic issues.

Also, Senator Lieberman is about as neo-con as one can be on foreign policy. Neo-cons are extremely dangerous to the future of the United States.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you must think that Ronald Reagan make a really, really stupid move in picking George H.W. Bush in 1980. George H.W. Bush called Reagan's economic plan, "voodoo economics".

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm going to show my ignorance here but what is a neo-con?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A neo-conservative is one who wants the United States to promote democracy worldwide through the use of military force, as in Iraq.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is wrong with this picture (Obama and Biden)?

Doesn't it look very silly? Here is a nobody Obama with no experience in the number one position and a somebody Biden with high experience in the number two position having to answer to the rookie! They just look silly on stage together in that light. Something is very wrong with the Democratic electing process. Obama should have picked a solid governor, maybe someone young with fresh ideas and goals as well. I think this ticket is a huge flop come November despite any polls or hipe to the contrary. When it come right down to the rubber meeting the road the people are not going with a rookie. MHO.

Unless McCain does something stupid, he will be the next Pres.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're dreaming.

Weren't you the one who thought that Mke Huckabee was going to be the next big thing in the GOP? :)

#15 KenH, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wasn't envolved in politics back then, but yes that would be stupid I think. Apparantly it did not hurt his election, but I don't know how weak his opponant was. Like I said, if McCain is as stupid, all bets are off!

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I recall from our previous conversations that you don't have the background in political history that I do. :)

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I defended his positions with scripture. But God did not want him for the next term. It is down to two now. It is exciting to watch God work this out. Right now, it appears to me He is going for McCain, but that could change at anytime as truths unfold. We'll see!

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Absolutively!! I was a Reagan supporter but thought that a totally foolish move on his part!

Oh wait - you weren't talking to me.

But we (family and friends) were just talking about this yesterday :)

#19 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  20. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Does this mean that Ralph Nader has a chance to get elected? :eek:

Tim Reynolds