1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did Adam Do It?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Apr 29, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Consider this then, Jeremy --- why did Jesus say that "many times" He would have gathered to Israel Himself as a hen gathers her chicks? Did He lie? Cause if He wanted to gather them and He is your definition of God, He could, couldn't He? Or at least He wouldn't lie about trying to gather those He had no intention and no possibility of gathering, would He?

skypair

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Good one, J Jump! :thumbs:

skypair

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Adam was with Eve and he knew was going to eat the fruit for himself not her. GE 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Two sin don't make a right. :)

john.

4. amity

amity New Member

Lilith

I have a question. Genesis 1:27 says "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him, male and female created he them." This is an entire chapter before God took Eve from Adam's rib.

I have just learned that this is the basis for an old Jewish tradition that Adam had another wife before Eve, named Lilith.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie

What else could this earlier passage mean? Does anyone believe that Adam might have had a first wife prior to Eve?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Main Entry: Lil·ith [​IMG]
    Pronunciation: 'li-l&th
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Late Hebrew lIlIth, from Hebrew, a female demon
    1 : a woman who in rabbinic legend is Adam's first wife, is supplanted by Eve, and becomes an evil spirit
    2 : a famous witch in medieval demonology

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/lilith

We go by the Bible. It is our final authority in all matters of faith and doctrine, not medieval demonology.

6. amity

amity New Member

Well, OF COURSE! What I am asking for is some scriptural interpretation. How do you interpret thhat passage of scripture. Was there a first wife?

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

God created Adam and Eve. This is a general statement of what he did on the sixth day of creation, along with the creation of land animals. The more specific details of the creation of Adam and Eve are given in the following chapter. It isn't a separte creation, but rather a more detailed account of the same creation.

8. Brother Jeremy Slone

I am looking at the type of Christ from Adam and the type of the Church from Eve. As far as the will of Christ it is to do His Father's Will. And according to John 6:39 this is the Father's will And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

as far as Matthew 23:37 He said he would have but they would not. No i don't think he lied. and show me where he tried and failed. it said he would have but they would not. When we read scriptures Some things God does for us with out conditions and Some things He does for us with conditions.

#28 Brother Jeremy Slone, May 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Above == YOU

I have longed to gather YOUR CHILDREN together (not YOU, YOUR CHILDREN)

YOU (you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you) were not willing

The entire section starting with the beginning of the chapter is a condemnation of the leaders - the scribes, teachers of the law, etc. Jesus is saying that they have wronged the children of Jerusalem by their error and wickedness. It never says Jesus will not save these children, it just says Jesus desired to comfort and protect the children through worthy teachers and leaders, but they would not. Instead, they killed the prophets, etc.

There's no "tried and failed" issue here at all, just a "I desire X, but you made it Y". In fact, if the leaders weren't wicked, they wouldn't have resisted Jesus, in which case Jesus would not have been crucified, etc. So if Jesus tried, He would have succeeded (since Jesus never fails), and that would have thrown a monkey wrench into the big plan.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Again, friend -- "the WOMAN was deceived" and "in the transgression" 1Tim 2:14.

Had Adam been there at the time of the deception, who knows what the outcome would have been. But since Adam wasn't deceived according to scripture, it is logical to conclude that he would have kept Eve from the transgression, right? The scripture seems even to imply that Adam WASN'T in the transgression.

I take it that there is a period after she ate it to show us one thought divided from another. That is, she ate it. She gave it to Adam who was with her when he knew that she had eaten and when she gave it to him.

You and I might have the same cold and I tell you to go get some cough syrup. You go but your cough is so bad that you 'take a swig' right at the store. Then you come back and when you gave it to me, I was with you at that time.

skypair

11. Brother Jeremy Slone

Yes i believe there is no tried and failed as well, I thought I would respond since you quoted me with your post. I believe the rejection of Christ by Israel was forknown and permitted by God for His own purpose of having mercy upon all. I believe the 9th, 10th, and 11th chapters of Romans teaches this. What I believe is God does those things for enternal life with out us and our blessings and joys of this salvation is often according to obedience in time. I to reject God tries to do anything and He never fails. But it boils down if your a premill you think God failed because they think the Church is a consolation prize when it is the kingdom Israel rejected and they were looking for the wrong outward kingdom as some christians are looking for now. I was sticking to the original post on adam and eve and I was responding to skypair. you can read our posts and see why I brought it up when he used the word trying for Jesus.

#31 Brother Jeremy Slone, May 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I laughed out loud at this. That was a great way of putting it. ;)